Good Kanji dictionary ?? do you know any??

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Good Kanji dictionary ?? do you know any??

Unread postby ppleswad » August 14th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Some time ago I started to learn Japaniese. But in my native language there is only dictionary for basic 1945 Kanji signs :roll: .
So do anyone know good Japaniese - English dictionary that have all kanji signs that I will ever need :wink: ?
Link to site with dictionary would be nice :D .
ppleswad
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Sepheriel » August 14th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Bam! Here you go my friend. Recommended by my Japanese teacher and its really easy to use.
http://www.amazon.com/Kodansha-Learners ... 4770028555

Good luck and have fun!
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ppleswad » August 15th, 2008, 3:04 pm

I read about it :
This dictionary presents a total of 2230 main entry characters, and approximately 41,100 meanings for some 31,000 words, word elements, and examples. This covers more than 98% of the characters used in contemporary Japanese, especially newspapers, and is more than adequate for meeting the needs of learners.

But I'm looking for something that covers 100% (all possible kanji characters) ? is there anything like that ?
ppleswad
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Sepheriel » August 16th, 2008, 2:25 am

ppleswad wrote:I read about it :
This dictionary presents a total of 2230 main entry characters, and approximately 41,100 meanings for some 31,000 words, word elements, and examples. This covers more than 98% of the characters used in contemporary Japanese, especially newspapers, and is more than adequate for meeting the needs of learners.

But I'm looking for something that covers 100% (all possible kanji characters) ? is there anything like that ?

All possible kanji characters? I really don't think you need something like that. That would be more along learning Chinese. I doubt there is a kanji dictionary out there that covers all of them.
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » August 16th, 2008, 5:36 am

Well... there ought to be, but there are a lot that mean the same and are less common, hence, you most likely be losing your time learning those. As far as I know there are over 4000 and, if a japanese teacher recommends that dictionary... well, there must be a reason.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Balcerzak » September 3rd, 2008, 3:57 pm

For my Japanese needs I've always used Jim Breen's WWWJDIC online dictionary.

It claims to have (among other features)
a composite KANJI dictionary file, which is used by the server for all the kanji search functions. The components are:

* the KANJIDIC file which contains comprehensive information about the most common 6,355 Japanese kanji as specified in the JIS X 0208-1990 set. (There is a summary page about the file, as well as the full documentation.)
* the KANJD212 file of information about the 5,801 additional kanji in the JIS X 0212-1990 standard. It is in the same format as the KANJIDIC file. (Full documentation.)

I do not know what fraction of the total kanji this represents, however.
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Sepheriel » September 3rd, 2008, 6:23 pm

Balcerzak wrote:For my Japanese needs I've always used Jim Breen's WWWJDIC online dictionary.

It claims to have (among other features)
a composite KANJI dictionary file, which is used by the server for all the kanji search functions. The components are:

* the KANJIDIC file which contains comprehensive information about the most common 6,355 Japanese kanji as specified in the JIS X 0208-1990 set. (There is a summary page about the file, as well as the full documentation.)
* the KANJD212 file of information about the 5,801 additional kanji in the JIS X 0212-1990 standard. It is in the same format as the KANJIDIC file. (Full documentation.)

I do not know what fraction of the total kanji this represents, however.

I love Jim Breen's WWWJDIC. It's such a useful tool for learning or brushing up on Japanese.
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » September 3rd, 2008, 11:41 pm

@ OP:

6,355 kanji (in JDIC) is double to triple what you'll ever need for anything in daily life or work or otherwise; unless your "need" is to know all the kanji so you can compile a complete list/dictionary for it from memory.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Azuriazu » October 8th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Yeah, the only reason you'd probably want to study 6000 kanji is if you take the Kanji Kentei Level 1 Japanese Test

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji_kentei
Azuriazu
Might just like this board

Return to General Chat