iPhone 3G

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby miszou » August 18th, 2008, 1:17 pm

I'm quite happy with mine (apart from the fact that I need to bring it back due to trouble with the accelerometer's features -_-)

Biggest con is the f-ing control Apple likes to have using their overgrown "mp3" player iTunes. Jailbreaking fixes all that (and more) tho if you really get fed up with that. This also means not sharing photo's or music via bluetooth :\

There seems to be a huge interest in software and web features fot the iPhone, so it will be supported well, which is a really big pro, since some applications make the phone (which I use more as a PDA) really useful.

Talk about battery power is a load of bull, since most phones don't last a second longer using the same features :P Just turn off things like bluetooth, wifi, 3G and such when not using it and the battery can last you almost a week.

The pricing is pretty fair here, hardly more expensive than the touch diamond (when using the contract with unlimited internet). Of course you spend a little more on this phone then a cheap one, but if you use the features of the iPhone than you'll be doing more other stuff than calling :P I like how internetting on the thing works out pretty fine, tho the 3D coverage here is pretty bad sometimes, meaning no youtube in the train if it passes empty land xD.

@pchunter:
- Insurance depends on where you seek it, so it's not true that you can not get it. I could have mine insured against water damage.
- Not may great ringtones? You can use any 30 second part from any song you own, that oughta be enough ;) (yes without the jailbreak)
- About the video camera missing, I heard some application might come out that allows recording, but I'm not entirely sure about that one
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Superflonic » September 24th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Hahaha, all you poor people getting a phone with MP3. Get a Zune 120Gb.
/troll

I have to agree with the fact that everything Apple produces is overrated. Not overpriced, only their computers are that, but overrated is correct for everything. I can't stand all those Apple fags that would defend it if their life depended on it.

However, I do think iPod is quality. The iPhone, however, is not. I know three people that had an iPhone 3G, and two of them had to bring it back and wait for four weeks before even hearing something about it (fact is, they got it back a week after, but hey, that's still five weeks of no phone).
This can't be completely Apple's fault, but I think it's yet again, too overrated.

Get something durable. If you want, get a Nokia N95. It can do everything the iPhone can, and you don't even have to get an expensive as hell contract with it. (iPhone is like 200 dollars? Cheap. Now, 200 dollars plus 24 times 30 euro's (it's 30 euro's a month here) is way more. We're talking about 720 euro's here.)

If I were you, I'd get a phone with equal or better specs, like a better camera, for less money (ie: less expensive contract).

Also, Miszou is Dutch, hooray
Candlejack, I wonder what hap
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Rikh » September 24th, 2008, 9:37 pm

I own one myself =P
despite what you guys might say, i like the phone

holds all my tunes, and has a nice amount of easy-to-use features for calling and such

with the applications it really shines..
With one ap my computers harddrive is wirelessly synced with my iphone, so if i need to pull up a document from my computer, i go onto the drive wirelessly, find the file, and download it to my phone to view while far away
Shazam is an application which listens to music playing around you and gives you the artist name, album, song, and itunes store/youtube music videos of it. Which is really nice imho
The phonesaber ap is really pure win. Nothing too big about it, but i go to my friend donnie every now and then and we whip out our phone sabers for a quick nerdy battle :)
Facebook/myspace mobile is decent
the games are fun as well. I recently downloaded a golfing game, which you swing the phone to put a ball across a whole golf field. (star wars force unleashed is coming to the iphone for a release as well)

id have to say, without the applications, its probably not worth the price of your daily phone. But with the freely distributed application creator by apple, they are having a massive flood of ingenious creative ideas created by people around the world. which is a really cool thing to see when people come out with a really out-of-the-box application

(also it has helped me in anatomy and psychology studies with virtual textbooks... during tests of course ;)

all in all, i pretty much like the phone. other phones are good as well, and some are definitely louder and more reliable, but if you have enough extra money laying around, i recommend buying it
Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Catastrophe » September 25th, 2008, 12:10 am

well....yeah....
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby pchunter » September 25th, 2008, 12:42 am

Superflonic wrote:However, I do think iPod is quality. The iPhone, however, is not. I know three people that had an iPhone 3G, and two of them had to bring it back and wait for four weeks before even hearing something about it (fact is, they got it back a week after, but hey, that's still five weeks of no phone).
This can't be completely Apple's fault, but I think it's yet again, too overrated.

If I were you, I'd get a phone with equal or better specs, like a better camera, for less money (ie: less expensive contract).

Hmm.. i think your 2 friends got really unlucky.. cause i know a lot of people who like it just fine like me. And phone camera with better specs than iPhone? which one? o.o

miszou wrote:@pchunter:
- Insurance depends on where you seek it, so it's not true that you can not get it. I could have mine insured against water damage.
- Not may great ringtones? You can use any 30 second part from any song you own, that oughta be enough ;) (yes without the jailbreak)
- About the video camera missing, I heard some application might come out that allows recording, but I'm not entirely sure about that one

really? you can have your's insured? I asked my local AT&T store, and I even asked the local Apple store and they both said no to me.. And true u CAN make ringtones w/o jailbreaking, do u mean changing the file to AAC through iTunes and changing the .m4a to .m4r with 40 second timespan? Yea, its works.. for now. I heard that they will change that soon :(. Ohh i do hope that someone will make an app that allows recordings...but probrally require us to pay for it...

Catastrophe wrote:well....yeah....

LOL, that happened to me when i first tried typing "fuck" without looking at the screen. WHen you text on an iPhone a spell checking option comes up correcting your words (and there is an 'x' you have to press on the side to cancel the correction), true.. its annoying when you curse or try to make emoticons, but i bet i can text a hella lot faster than you can.
pchunter
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Catastrophe » September 25th, 2008, 1:03 am

pchunter wrote:And phone camera with better specs than iPhone? which one? o.o

like......70% of the cybershot series by sonyericsson? :?
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Previous

Return to General Chat