iPhone 3G

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

iPhone 3G

Unread postby pchunter » August 13th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Anyone have the 3G iPhone?? Is it worth it?? Im about to buy it today, but i really dont like the AT&T service... I realize that the iPhone cant be "cracked" (even though i wouldnt crack it if it would work with verison) to different service such as verison because it is still a GSM. Verizon's phones and network are CDMA, which doesn't use sim cards. 3G is a GSM protocol, not CDMA. CDMA uses EVDO and EVDO 1X. GSM and CDMA are two completely different technologies and are not compatible with each other, but is it possible for the iPhone to be released by verison with a whole different model of iPhone 3g? or is that highly unlikely.

But other then that.. what are some pros/cons about it? compared to other phones? (excluding service).
pchunter
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Swartt » August 13th, 2008, 3:35 pm

Do you really need a iPhone? I mean just get a normal cellphone and your good to go right? all the other stuff seems worthless to me, settle for simplicity, thats my advice
Sanity is for the weak-minded
Swartt
Addict

Unread postby Sepheriel » August 13th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Swartt wrote:Do you really need a iPhone? I mean just get a normal cellphone and your good to go right? all the other stuff seems worthless to me, settle for simplicity, thats my advice

Amen to that. Who uses all of that extra crap? I just call and text on my phone, that's all.
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » August 13th, 2008, 6:54 pm

And it's expensive. Not worth it.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Maes » August 13th, 2008, 7:29 pm

Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Einherjar » August 13th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Maes wrote:Worth it just for this imo.

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-999 ... refeatured

That reminds of the Bill Gates VS Steven Jobs vid...
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby pchunter » August 13th, 2008, 9:52 pm

meh.. well if you had a extra cash in your pocket from your job, what would you do? I already got my gf a 300 dollar necklace, and my parents a good camera. Anyways.. does anyone have the phone at all?
pchunter
Crack Addic!

Unread postby idontknoW » August 14th, 2008, 1:01 am

if you've used this thing at least once for a couple of hours, you'll know right away why people like it so much and the commotion it all stirs.

i myself am an apple hater, but i do like the iPhone in ways and hate it at some parts.

pros:
it's powerful and highly accurate. First time i used it, it was easy to use and fast. Also, it felt as if it was at a higher level than any other phone out there, even without the touch interface. When I say highly accurate, i really mean it.

it's fun to use. You'll be playing around with that thing for ages. It's like messing with Compiz on Linux.

as expected, it's a good multimedia device capable of playing video at decent resolutions and masses of audio files. You would have to convert it to whatever format Apple uses though. (i highly doubt OGG, MKV, MKA, FLAC and whatever on this thing.)

cons:
SDK ain't free! fuck. I want to develop stuff on that thing.

iTunes, unless this is your default media player already. (you need it to sync files between your computer.)

it's a smudge magnet, but hey, it's not like as if other devices aren't at a first try.

This is all but a first impression, mind you. That's why there are a lack of cons.
To those people who say that a normal cellphone is fine enough, go ahead. I agree. It's only worth looking at if you've no cellphone or multimedia device to begin with. (A mid-range smartphone, esp. Windows Mobile ones can beat the features of the iPhone) Or if you've too much wealth. (Yeah, right.)
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » August 14th, 2008, 3:41 am

Sepheriel wrote:
Swartt wrote:Do you really need a iPhone? I mean just get a normal cellphone and your good to go right? all the other stuff seems worthless to me, settle for simplicity, thats my advice

Amen to that. Who uses all of that extra crap? I just call and text on my phone, that's all.

Agree 100%. Hell I have had the same phone for over 3 years now, which has endured many forms of abuse such as being smashed against a concrete wall with quite a bit of force. Now let me ask you, can you throw your iphone as hard as you can at a brick wall and have it still work? I didn't think so.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby pchunter » August 14th, 2008, 5:03 am

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:
Sepheriel wrote:

Agree 100%. Hell I have had the same phone for over 3 years now, which has endured many forms of abuse such as being smashed against a concrete wall with quite a bit of force. Now let me ask you, can you throw your iphone as hard as you can at a brick wall and have it still work? I didn't think so.

Chunky, quite frankly i really dont care if your phone can survive impact against a brick wall. If you REALLY want to break it so much, feel free to ship it to me. Okay, i do realize that it is overpriced but like i said, i have a job, and an excess amount of money to buy what ever i want. Other then the price and service, can people WHO HAVE AN IPHONE 3G give me pros/cons?

Sepheriel, youre just like my korean parents. its called technology. Welcome to the new generation of the 21st century.
Last edited by pchunter on August 14th, 2008, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
pchunter
Crack Addic!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » August 14th, 2008, 5:04 am

The only reason I'm thinking of getting an iPhone is because I'm thinking of getting a new phone, as well as an MP3 player. Since the iPhone can be used as both (ignoring the fact that the speakers are horrible apparently), I can just get this instead of two separate things.

Does anyone know how much force the 3G iPhone can handle? The old one can take quite a few hits, but the plastic back on the new one looks a big fragile.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » August 14th, 2008, 12:08 pm

The iPhone is pretty meh and overrated imo. I already have a more feature filled phone (It was free I swear *shifty eyes*) so I couldn't give a shit about it anyways :P

Better reason? I don't like touchscreens ... Although I must admit the interface is very stylish and easy to use.

Also like everyone has said before, features on mobiles are soooo utterly useless. In the end all you will use it for is your texting and calling and maaaaaaybe for music ...

Talking of music Apple really needs to stop requiring people to use iTunes. For the most part people don't realise that they don't have to put up with the crap called iTunes and can use other software like winamp instead to transfer music ...
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » August 14th, 2008, 1:12 pm

pchunter wrote:Okay, i do realize that it is overpriced but like i said, i have a job, and an excess amount of money to buy what ever i want.

Ummm...

If you would like...
You could get me ANY iPhone you'd like and within 24hours of me receiving it...

I WILL GIVE YOU AN EXTREMELY DETAILED REPORT TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR DECISION! SO PLEASE!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay okay...

An i phone. My mom has one.. She has definitely NO idea how to use it though.. *bangs head on wall* Ooooww...

Sigh... Well.. Honestly from what i can see text messaging would be way way way way wayyyy easier...
Your obvious main advantage would be if you have a wifi at home... AND if your local starbucks also has some free wifi...
Or else one major advantage would go as a waste..

Like others say.. The main con, is the pricing... But other than that i would say that it would be quite worthwhile to get yourself one...

So what if they use iTunes... If you have your own MP3 player, you could forget about listening to your tunes on your iPhone. But hey... its up to you right?

I guess the biggest pro that is worth mentioning that EVERYONE seems to FORGET to mention...

It is the look the 'normal' people give you when you take out that phone and say... "Hellooo?"
:twisted:
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Catastrophe » August 14th, 2008, 5:54 pm

-[J1N]- wrote:The only reason I'm thinking of getting an iPhone is because I'm thinking of getting a new phone, as well as an MP3 player. Since the iPhone can be used as both (ignoring the fact that the speakers are horrible apparently), I can just get this instead of two separate things.

Does anyone know how much force the 3G iPhone can handle? The old one can take quite a few hits, but the plastic back on the new one looks a big fragile.
meh, then get just one of the Sonyericsson walkman series, or any phone with expandable memory and a couple of earbuds. :?
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » August 15th, 2008, 2:01 pm

Catastrophe wrote:Does anyone know how much force the 3G iPhone can handle? The old one can take quite a few hits, but the plastic back on the new one looks a big fragile.
meh, then get just one of the Sonyericsson walkman series, or any phone with expandable memory and a couple of earbuds. :?[/quote]

I was thinking that myself, but I don't know what the maximum capacity is possible with the walkman series. I need at least 8GB of space to satisfy myself, and the mem stick is really quite expensive for one that size (Sony likes their profits). If the total adds up to a price that's about $100-150 below the iPhone, I'd rather just get the iPhone for it's useless functions
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Catastrophe » August 15th, 2008, 2:58 pm

-[J1N]- wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:meh, then get just one of the Sonyericsson walkman series, or any phone with expandable memory and a couple of earbuds. :?

I was thinking that myself, but I don't know what the maximum capacity is possible with the walkman series. I need at least 8GB of space to satisfy myself, and the mem stick is really quite expensive for one that size (Sony likes their profits). If the total adds up to a price that's about $100-150 below the iPhone, I'd rather just get the iPhone for it's useless functions

wtf 8G?????
man i have only filled 2Gb out of my 4 one and already have >400 songs, seriously, for a mobile isnt really needed to encode'em to 320 kbps.
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Sepheriel » August 16th, 2008, 2:35 am

pchunter wrote:
Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:
Sepheriel wrote:[quote="Swartt"]Do you really need a iPhone? I mean just get a normal cellphone and your good to go right? all the other stuff seems worthless to me, settle for simplicity, thats my advice

Chunky, quite frankly i really dont care if your phone can survive impact against a brick wall. If you REALLY want to break it so much, feel free to ship it to me. Okay, i do realize that it is overpriced but like i said, i have a job, and an excess amount of money to buy what ever i want. Other then the price and service, can people WHO HAVE AN IPHONE 3G give me pros/cons?

Sepheriel, youre just like my korean parents. its called technology. Welcome to the new generation of the 21st century.[/quote]

Um.... can we chill for just a second here. I don't know what provoked you to get all defensive but you did indeed ask for input so I gave you some. Please don't ask for advice if you are going to get aggressive and not listen to the advice given. That being said, I know quite a bit about technology and am quite up-to-date on what's going on in the technological fields. My point is that are you really going to use every feature that the iPhone has to offer? I guarantee you that about %80 of the people who use smart phones and what not only use them to call and text people, which is what cell phones should only do, because they are PHONES. If I wanted to look at a map or look at the news or weather, I would do all of that before leaving the house. I just feel that an iPhone is quite unnecessary, but if you aren't going to listen to advice even when you ask for it, and it's your money, then go ahead an buy it.
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby pchunter » August 16th, 2008, 3:15 am

sorry if there is any confusion here, but i dont see how you find me defensive and provoked after i said 3 sentences. Doesn't seem that you are being the defensive one? True, i did ask for pros/cons of the iPhone compared to other phones, but im sure that an up-to-date with technology would know that the other utilites within the iPhone are not merely.. "crap", which is hardly any advice at all. Anyways it doesn't matter, I already bought the phone, and recieved it suprisingly today. FOR A PHONE, i am surprised of all its capabilities, and i dont see how one cannot use all the functions of the phone.

Anyways, for the people still interested in the phone, as for now i have no cons other than:

1) the battery life is not as long as i expected (but figures.., it has multiple of functions that suck the battery life)

2) there is no warrenty/insurance covering any physical damage and water damage. This i have the greatest problem, because i read countless articles how the phone dropped out of their pocket's and destroyed their screen. They all had to buy brand new phones. I dont think i am quite ready to buy several of new phones yet.

3) there is no video camera, just a regular camera, but hey.. the pictures are real nice for a phone. (although there are no settings/adjustments for the camera)

and

4) there arent that great ringtones... i guess they want you to buy them all.. meh.

for the pros, it was well worth the money, regardless of what the previous people said before. I dont think you will be able to understand until you actually buy one yourself. I am able to feel more connected to other people, being able to respond and view any e-mail whereever i want. The "map's" function is quite helpful, and more convient to use than mapquest itself (personally). The free programs arent THAT great, but hey theyre free right? (oh the PhoneSaber isnt there anymore D: they took it off cause of like too many bugs and it would sometimes crash your phone) I already synced all my music, and the contacts function is a breeze to go through. Although the internet function isnt as great as my home internet, it is quite fast.. For ex.. google page loads in 2 seconds, gmail refreshes my e-mail in about 3 seconds... blah blah.

Overall impression.. worth every penny.
pchunter
Crack Addic!

Unread postby md » August 16th, 2008, 6:03 pm

Your first bit was confusing as hell.

3g means '3rd generation'. Generally that means it's CDMA, I don't know of any 3g providers of any size that aren't CDMA. Sprint deployed the first 3g network in 2002 (Or somewhere around there). In 2007 Verizon signed a contract to roam on their network, and started deploying their own CDMA.

GSM is a 2nd generation technology. Verizon's network is 99% 2g. Every other US carrier is 100% GSM. Sprint was the only 3g carrier in the US. (Sprint started deploying a 4g network in metro areas in 2008.)

I bought an LG Voyager a couple months ago that was 3g, touch screen, bla bla bal, fap. All I wanted was a decent mp3 player built into my phone so I didn't have to carry two things around. It's not. I've been looking for one for awhile, I can't even find a decent mp3 player anymore, the ipod killed the market. I used to be able to get a player that could read SD card with a built in fm-transceiver for $100. Now I have to pay for a seperate $50 unit that doesn't work as well. Now I've got it built into my phone and it comes out over bluetooth. My $70 bluetooth has a terrible amp (How can you do that when you have a battery as a power source?) Now they have mp3 player cellphones with... built in fm transceivers. That phone is going on 4 totally different radio technologies? FM, bluetooth, CDMA, GSM or cellular (I think it's a dual-band phone?)
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » August 17th, 2008, 2:06 am

md wrote:I bought an LG Voyager a couple months ago that was 3g, touch screen, bla bla bal, fap. All I wanted was a decent mp3 player built into my phone so I didn't have to carry two things around. It's not. I've been looking for one for awhile, I can't even find a decent mp3 player anymore, the ipod killed the market. I used to be able to get a player that could read SD card with a built in fm-transceiver for $100. Now I have to pay for a seperate $50 unit that doesn't work as well. Now I've got it built into my phone and it comes out over bluetooth. My $70 bluetooth has a terrible amp (How can you do that when you have a battery as a power source?) Now they have mp3 player cellphones with... built in fm transceivers. That phone is going on 4 totally different radio technologies? FM, bluetooth, CDMA, GSM or cellular (I think it's a dual-band phone?)

Oh I know what you mean. Product range doesn't seem to be as good anymore since the launch of the iPhone. I think other brands just aren't willing to make new phones with good features unless it can compare with the iPhone, or some are trying to hard too compete with the iPhone. We pay for features we might never use, or get caught in technology that was released without much thought, because of the need to be able to compete. I don't think we can really blame them though, the phone market is going berserk atm. I've also been in the search for a good mp3 and phone combo, the walkman phones seem to be the best choice if you don't need too much room to put songs in.

Catastrophe wrote:wtf 8G?????
man i have only filled 2Gb out of my 4 one and already have >400 songs, seriously, for a mobile isnt really needed to encode'em to 320 kbps.

I tend to enjoy my music with a bit of quality, and I have a nice pair of speakers in my house that I love plugging my iPod into and playing (though of course, it could never be as clear as a CD). My 4GB iPod has only 560 songs, but it's not like I get to choose the encoding for every single song I have (get the message? :lol: ). Well I COULD, but that would take a hell of along time.
My 4GB holds 560 songs. My total song count is 5000+. Sure, slash off 3000 for the excuse of 'I'll skip them all anyway", but that's still 1440 left (minus what's already in iPod), and yeah, I think I would listen to that many songs. Having to constantly fight over myself for what song to delete isn't fun either. =/
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to General Chat