FPS game engines

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Cat Megex » August 5th, 2008, 11:00 pm

ILPPendant wrote:This reminds me of the time id Software released the Quake 3 source code and half the internet downloaded it, thinking they were getting a free game. 8)

Source code for the game, or just for the engine? 'Cause if it were for the game itself, then people would indeed be getting a free game; it's just that they'd have to compile it first.
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby ILPPendant » August 6th, 2008, 8:59 am

Cat Megex wrote:
ILPPendant wrote:This reminds me of the time id Software released the Quake 3 source code and half the internet downloaded it, thinking they were getting a free game. 8)

Source code for the game, or just for the engine? 'Cause if it were for the game itself, then people would indeed be getting a free game; it's just that they'd have to compile it first.

Sorry, I should have said it was the engine when I posted. However, a lot of news sites proudly declared that id had just released the "Quake 3 source code". In retrospect, that might have confused folks a little.

The file size was somewhere in the region of 50MB. That should have tipped people off but this is the internet here. :P
ILPPendant
Might just like this board

Unread postby Cat Megex » August 6th, 2008, 12:40 pm

ILPPendant wrote:Sorry, I should have said it was the engine when I posted. However, a lot of news sites proudly declared that id had just released the "Quake 3 source code". In retrospect, that might have confused folks a little.

The file size was somewhere in the region of 50MB. That should have tipped people off but this is the internet here. :P

Out of curiosity, how large is the Source engine?
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » August 6th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Why the hell did you make a topic out of this?
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Catastrophe » August 6th, 2008, 11:37 pm

Cat Megex wrote:how large is the Source engine?

you sir, have seriously failed there.
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Einherjar » August 6th, 2008, 11:39 pm

Cat Megex wrote:
ILPPendant wrote:Sorry, I should have said it was the engine when I posted. However, a lot of news sites proudly declared that id had just released the "Quake 3 source code". In retrospect, that might have confused folks a little.

Out of curiosity, how large is the Source engine?

I'm going to assume that's a joke :S
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Return to General Chat