Higurashi translation

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Higurashi translation

Unread postby Ferozban » July 20th, 2008, 7:37 am

Hi,

i dont know how to find any info about it,but i was wondering if anyone of you know about a translation for the higurashi games?

is there allready one? is one in progress? where do i get more info about it?

anything will help.

thx ~fb
Ferozban
Addict

Unread postby AlinSabel » July 20th, 2008, 7:40 am

I'll assume you're talking about the game. So CLICK HERE.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Ferozban » July 20th, 2008, 9:07 am

thx, that actually looks promising.

if i understood right, they have translated most of the days from the first arc. the Onikakushi-hen.

well there's a long way to go for translating all 8 arcs, but i'm glad someone took the prject
Ferozban
Addict

Unread postby shirou12 » July 20th, 2008, 3:42 pm

this is a damn good anime, eventhough i havent read the game yet.
shirou12
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Ferozban » July 20th, 2008, 5:34 pm

yea, the anime and the manga are very good.

so i thought the game has to be even better, since it is the same with fsn.

well, i will post a little review after i finished the translated part
Ferozban
Addict

Unread postby SPerson » July 20th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Ferozban wrote:thx, that actually looks promising.

if i understood right, they have translated most of the days from the first arc. the Onikakushi-hen.

well there's a long way to go for translating all 8 arcs, but i'm glad someone took the prject

This translation has quite a few translation mistakes/inaccuracies if I remember correctly, so use at your own risk.
SPerson
Addict

Unread postby AlinSabel » July 20th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Wow, you must be the first person who's said that. At least, the siblings translating it have asked if it's a good sign if all the reviews never mention translation quality...

Anyway, on #denpa, they did mention that the translations being released aren't 'finished', they're still sorta rough... meaning they'll go back, I suppose. <_> Just think of this as an alpha release? :P
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Sonozaki Futagotachi » July 20th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Greetings to fans of mirror moon!

Yeah, I did have some mistakes and inaccuracies, especially in the early parts :oops:. We try to fix up the writing before each release, but sometimes it's only after some time has passed that we notice that some parts could stand to be smoother. Fortunately we haven't needed to correct the overall structure of the story.

A Japanese native speaker contacted us recently, and has been kind enough to answer our questions, even checking through some of the early script. He's really helped us fix or clarify a few places we weren't sure about, and caught some of those mistakes, so we're working on fixing those up along with writing translation notes, to be completed with the final release.

So yeah, it _is_ basically a work in progress if you read our chapter-by-chapter releases, but we're trying to get it as good quality as possible for the final release, especially because it stands alone in the demo version.

So hey, please let us know where there's mistakes and inaccuracies! There could be something we or even the Japanese checker haven't noticed in this more recent check-through. PM is probably best, so we don't spoil any new readers 8) .

Thanks,

Shion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby SPerson » July 20th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Don't take my words seriously, I meant no offence there. I didn't see your later releases too, I bet they're of a higher quality, so, keep up the good work, I know just how much pain translating can be (especially from Japanese)
SPerson
Addict

Unread postby Sonozaki Futagotachi » July 20th, 2008, 9:31 pm

No offense taken, I'm just looking for feedback where it's available, since we're still relatively new to translation :wink: . What have you worked on?

Sonozaki Futagotachi
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby SPerson » July 20th, 2008, 10:10 pm

Sonozaki Futagotachi wrote:No offense taken, I'm just looking for feedback where it's available, since we're still relatively new to translation :wink: . What have you worked on?

Oh, actually I'm new to this myself. I only worked on a few comiket doujinshi before, but I'm considering joining some genuine scanlation group, not sure which yet. I also realize just how much time it takes to translate anything, so I'm still reluctant.
SPerson
Addict

Unread postby Ferozban » July 20th, 2008, 10:16 pm

wow to see the project leader in this thread :)

well while you're here:
thx for the hard work you do to translate it. i nearly gave up hope finding higurashi translated.

since you're here, i have a little question:
what does it mean that
Days 1-5,9-13
are translated?
does that mean that the game will run in japanese the moment i reach day 6 and will stay japanese until the end of day 8?

~thx fb
Ferozban
Addict

Unread postby Sonozaki Futagotachi » July 20th, 2008, 10:40 pm

You're very welcome, Ferozban!

Your question is actually a very common one. Basically, there is no story for days 6-8. It goes straight from day 5 to day 9, which begins with the line "After that several days passed" :) .

SPerson, good luck with whatever you decide to do. Translation does take time, and a good translation takes even longer, but I've found that it can go better if you find a good rhythm for doing a reasonable amount each day or week.

Sonozaki Futagotachi
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby zweiterversuch » September 29th, 2008, 8:19 pm

I have a question.
It has nothing to do with the translation but I don't want to make a new topic for it. It is something really, really insignificant.

NOte: It maybe insignificant but it is a huge spoiler!! so don't read if you haven't seen the series or played the game.

Example: Who is luke skywalker's father? (insignificant question, huge spoiler.)

Question:
Everybody who...
...gets infected by the "hinamizawa Virus"...

turns into a psycho due to...

... huge amounts of stress, right?....

but to be
infected,
they must have...

...been born in Hinamizawa, right?

so why is Keiichi...
infected?

I mean, he isn't from hinamizawa.
And I think that was never explained in none of the series. I was thinking...
....that maybe he was infected by the blonde girl at the hospital (Takano-san) but he was already getting insane before that. *sees scene when Rika tells him that she saw him talking with the fat cop*...

so I am not sure anymore.
Would somebody please tell me if that is explained in the game or if that is a hole in the plot?
Is there going to be a third season of the anime or is it already over?
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby Phlebas » September 30th, 2008, 6:17 am

It's been a while since I both saw the anime and played the game, but...
I don't think it was ever said that they must be born in Hinamizawa (why would they?), and I think some of them in fact weren't (I think Tomitake-san, then I don't remember if Takano (or whatever the nurse was called) was in the end infected or not, but I think there was at least the option for that). Admittedly it seems a bit weird of Keiichi to get infected so quickly, but maybe it's nothing unusual, he has been there for a while (don't remember exactly how long, but I think he's stayed there at least a month when the story starts already?), has constant contact with infected people, and goes under heavy stress. In comparison Tomitake only comes for a few days every once in a while.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby zweiterversuch » September 30th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Phlebas wrote:It's been a while since I both saw the anime and played the game, but...
I don't think it was ever said that they must be born in Hinamizawa (why would they?), and I think some of them in fact weren't (I think Tomitake-san, then I don't remember if Takano (or whatever the nurse was called) was in the end infected or not, but I think there was at least the option for that). Admittedly it seems a bit weird of Keiichi to get infected so quickly, but maybe it's nothing unusual, he has been there for a while (don't remember exactly how long, but I think he's stayed there at least a month when the story starts already?), has constant contact with infected people, and goes under heavy stress. In comparison Tomitake only comes for a few days every once in a while.

Well, that is true, in comparison with Tomitake and co. Keiichi has been longer in Hinamizawa but if I remember correctly, Tomitake was...
injected with the virus by Takano and
Takano never gets infected...

Apparently I will have to play the game to understand what happens...
The anime is a lot shorter than the game right?
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby Ryougi07 » October 3rd, 2008, 2:53 am

I'm sure it was because of
keiichi being near rika (the insanely moe virus carrier)
Ryougi07
Addict

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » October 3rd, 2008, 1:58 pm

Oh great now I so want to see this anime, along with wanting to play the Visdual Novel if possible. From what I was told
it was a dark story, and in between it becomes a happy fun school time series, until the festival of course..
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Return to General Chat