What games are you playing & recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

What games are you playing & recommendations

Unread postby Einherjar » July 6th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Since Game Section is deleted, I still feel like it need a thread like this. So, what games are you playing, or think it's good?
"...Whatever."
"...Not interested."
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Catastrophe » July 6th, 2008, 5:17 pm

re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-replaying Devil May Cry 1, cant get tired of it 8)
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » July 6th, 2008, 5:21 pm

I'm playing Ninja Gaiden 2 and Overlord. Good stuff, not the most awesome story but they do what games were made for. Fun.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby ayadew » July 6th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Catastrophe wrote:re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-replaying Devil May Cry 1, cant get tired of it 8)

Got tired after Dante Must Die (not much to do after that anyway), but it sure is great.
Currently nerding on Starcraft: Brood War
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » July 6th, 2008, 9:03 pm

-Aaah! I just finished Assassin's Creed. If a bit short and lacking in the story development department, it's an entertaining ride nonetheless!
-Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones, both for the GBA, are still a good choice in my opinion. Good story, nice characters, nice enough battle-system (for a turn based strategy-game) and good graphics.
-If you happen to have an X360 that still works (mine fuckin' died on me! Damn you, white box!! DAMN YOU!!!) I highly recommend Lost Odyssey. I could never finish it, for reasons already stated, but it had an interesting story that I wanted to see develop (I still don't know anything past the point I'm stuck at) and the battle system is entertaining if a bit dated (turn based battles, but still good enough with the "ring-game" implementation).
-If you are lucky to have enough cash to buy a PS3, get the hell away from here, get yourself a copy of MGS4 and play! PLAY!
-If you have a good enough PC, you can try Mass Effect (also available for the X360). It has an interesting story, though a bit short. Battle system IS entertaining (3d person shooter) mainly if you put the difficulty in the highest option. The ending is a bit abrupt, but since it's BIOWARE, I was expecting it :P (KOTOR and Jade Empire developers).

ayadew wrote:Currently nerding on Starcraft: Brood War

I stopped playing SC after getting my own PC :cry: . Damned widescreen monitor ruins everything!
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Atriel » July 7th, 2008, 2:35 am

You should get Fire Emblem 6 too Abscess (assuming you are playing the seventh one). It's the hardest of those 3.

All of them are fucking good. I want the gamecube and Wii one but i never find them :<
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby nobaka » July 7th, 2008, 3:13 am

Atriel wrote:You should get Fire Emblem 6 too Abscess (assuming you are playing the seventh one). It's the hardest of those 3.

All of them are fucking good. I want the gamecube and Wii one but i never find them :<

Ah, Fire Emblem.

Go for FE4, Seisen no Keifu (SNES). Easy, but arguably the most popular in the series.

FE5, Thracia 776 (SNES). Will rape you horribly, and is awesome. Takes place in between Parts 1 and 2 of Seisen no Keifu.

FE6, Rekka no Ken (GBA). Tough, though easier than FE5. Good game, highly recommended if you enjoyed FE7.

I've been playing Space Rangers 2: Reboot, Dawn of War: Soulstorm, replaying BGII, and the old XCOM games. Good stuff.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raven » July 7th, 2008, 3:54 am

Nothing concrete right now (kinda jumping between old game), but I'm playing Men At Work 2! but I don't think it's counted for this topic :P

My lack of gaming lately can be contributed to Metal Gear Solid 4 though, it's hard to enjoy other game when you were drowned in such greatness. This is one game that is too good it damages the experience of other games :wink:
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » July 7th, 2008, 5:13 am

nobaka wrote:
Atriel wrote:You should get Fire Emblem 6 too Abscess (assuming you are playing the seventh one). It's the hardest of those 3.

Ah, Fire Emblem.

Go for FE4, Seisen no Keifu (SNES). Easy, but arguably the most popular in the series.

FE5, Thracia 776 (SNES). Will rape you horribly, and is awesome. Takes place in between Parts 1 and 2 of Seisen no Keifu.

FE6, Rekka no Ken (GBA). Tough, though easier than FE5. Good game, highly recommended if you enjoyed FE7.

I've been playing Space Rangers 2: Reboot, Dawn of War: Soulstorm, replaying BGII, and the old XCOM games. Good stuff.

I've been away of the snes translation scene for quite a while, and to tell you the truth, I don't know much about FE, only those two that I already mentioned. Which FE are translated (be it fan-translated or "professionally" localized) and in what console(s) are they available? thanks.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Balcerzak » July 7th, 2008, 10:58 am

abscess wrote:I've been away of the snes translation scene for quite a while, and to tell you the truth, I don't know much about FE, only those two that I already mentioned. Which FE are translated (be it fan-translated or "professionally" localized) and in what console(s) are they available? thanks.

FE Gaiden ~ quasi-translated. [NES]
FE Mystery of the Emblem ~ translated. [SNES]
FE Genealogy of the Holy War ~ translated? [SNES]
FE Thracia 776 ~ translated [SNES]
FE Sword of Seals ~ translated. [GBA]

As far as they go, I've only gotten around to playing the Sword of Seals translation myself, but it was excellent.
As far as I know, only the original Fire Emblem hasn't got something that's at least mostly functional as far as translation goes, and that will be obsolete when the DS remake is released (August in Japan, unannounced elsewhere).

Of course, there may be other translations/patches being worked on that I don't know about, but this is what I'm aware of, at least.
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Einherjar » July 7th, 2008, 11:37 am

Balcerzak wrote:
abscess wrote:I've been away of the snes translation scene for quite a while, and to tell you the truth, I don't know much about FE, only those two that I already mentioned. Which FE are translated (be it fan-translated or "professionally" localized) and in what console(s) are they available? thanks.

FE Gaiden ~ quasi-translated. [NES]
FE Mystery of the Emblem ~ translated. [SNES]
FE Genealogy of the Holy War ~ translated? [SNES]
FE Thracia 776 ~ translated [SNES]
FE Sword of Seals ~ translated. [GBA]

As far as they go, I've only gotten around to playing the Sword of Seals translation myself, but it was excellent.
As far as I know, only the original Fire Emblem hasn't got something that's at least mostly functional as far as translation goes, and that will be obsolete when the DS remake is released (August in Japan, unannounced elsewhere).

Of course, there may be other translations/patches being worked on that I don't know about, but this is what I'm aware of, at least.

FE spoiler
Ahh... FE 5. Awesome game, even though Roy looked and acted shit most of the time and got the upgrade like THE end of the game. Still broken.
FE6. Love Eliwood lord Crit.
FE7. Ephraim. So damn broken (awesome also)
like Roy, he can easily solo the final boss, even though it has 120 hp. His strength is easily maxed, with the lance, is 27 + 5, and his crit should be 19, and add support + 25 crit, makes 44 - enemy luck. So (32 atk + Sigmund 19 - enemy def) x2 holy damage x3 crit and it killed the boss in one encounter.

Anyways, for those of you that didn't know about Tales of Destiny:
Have you played the Tales of Destiny for the PSX? well, it looked kinda like this:

The graphics are pretty bad for today's standards, but it's awesome! It's got an interesting storyline, nice combat system, and comes with tower druaga as a bonus (seriously).
Well, now I've finished explaining the ps1 version, now let's move on to the remake:

ToDR comes with a new combat system where TP system is completely eliminated by the CC system, aerial combat, Blast Caliburs (Ougi) and overtook Tales of Destiny 2 as the game with the fastest battle system in the Tales series. The also comes with monster size icons,

unlike the 10x10 crap we used to have. Many towns and Dungeons are in 3-d now too.

The games is fully voiced, from main storyline to the infamous tales skits. Direct's cut also comes with Leon/Lion's side and a brand new blast caluibur for Lion.

Here's an awesome trailer:
Last edited by Einherjar on July 8th, 2008, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...Whatever."
"...Not interested."
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » July 7th, 2008, 6:14 pm

You got the Fire Emblems wrong, get a +1 in each number :P

Also i have played Tales of Destiny but never got to finish it. (Mary was my favorite character <.<)

Also, what console is that remake for? It looks awesome.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby ayadew » July 7th, 2008, 6:37 pm

I simply can't stand stereotypic japanese RPG's, how good story they might ever contain..
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Einherjar » July 7th, 2008, 10:57 pm

Atriel wrote:You got the Fire Emblems wrong, get a +1 in each number :P

Also i have played Tales of Destiny but never got to finish it. (Mary was my favorite character <.<)

Also, what console is that remake for? It looks awesome.

Ugh... it is?? I just refer to them by name, so...
The remake is for PS2.
"...Whatever."
"...Not interested."
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby nobaka » July 7th, 2008, 11:49 pm

If anyone DOES want FE4/5/6 translated, I have them. Just PM me.

I was a member of the board that did them way back when, and I think the forum is gone now, so...

We even did a FE3 translation, but it was barely functional. I couldn't bring myself to play it. :(
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » July 8th, 2008, 12:23 am

I'm playing this awesome game. So epic and hardcore. It's called "Reading a fucking book." Its off da hook.

But in seriousness, I'm just doing my thing in MHP2ndG and replaying MGS4 to get my Assassin Emblem.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » July 8th, 2008, 1:00 am

Playing Assassin's Creed.
"...Whatever."
"...Not interested."
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Cat Megex » July 8th, 2008, 2:18 am

Playing Half-Life (the first one).
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby nobaka » July 8th, 2008, 2:24 am

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:I'm playing this awesome game. So epic and hardcore. It's called "Reading a fucking book." Its off da hook.

But in seriousness, I'm just doing my thing in MHP2ndG and replaying MGS4 to get my Assassin Emblem.

I just finished the Dan Simmons Hyperion/Endymion series. Fuckin' awesome.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » July 8th, 2008, 4:46 am

nobaka wrote:
Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:I'm playing this awesome game. So epic and hardcore. It's called "Reading a fucking book." Its off da hook.

I just finished the Dan Simmons Hyperion/Endymion series. Fuckin' awesome.

Mmm, I actually finished Goodkind's Stone of Tears (of the Sword of Truth series). It was really good. I think I'll start on the next one tomorrow. Hyperion was awesome, btw :D

Cat Megex wrote:Playing Half-Life (the first one).

Arguably the greatest FPS ever created, and definately the one that revolutionized the genre.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to General Chat