What games are you playing & recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Re: What games are you playing & recommendations

Unread post by Atriel » September 25th, 2009, 8:20 pm

I was planning to get Sakura Wars... but after that video, I'm having doubts <_<
If you disagree, you are wrong.

Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Raven » September 26th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Front Mission 5.

This game is so full of win.

abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by abscess » September 27th, 2009, 3:36 am

Being part of a forum dedicated to Type Moon VNs, there's hardly a chance that you haven't listened about Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. If you are like me, then you probably worship that guy and his work to some degree (let's not mention those sculptures made out of chewing gum). Now, what would be the purpose to this nonsense posted on this thread about games?
This is the reason.
Ghibli + Games = Ni no Kuni = WTFBBQAWESOME^2
Right? Right!? Right!
That's what some would say, but logic is a bitch that kicks you on the back of the head in some real painful ways some times. I get little more than squat about what's going on. The fact that it is coming out for the DS makes me doubt that the gorgeous animation will be part of the experience and, my biggest concern of them all, is that it may not even come at all to this side of the world.
From what I've read in wikipedia, it seems interesting and probably innovative, and this having Studio Ghibli stapled on it is a plus for fans. But there are still some things left in the dark... I don't know, I may be in a negative mood because of this other piece of news. I mean, seriously! WTF is wrong with them!?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

HeroMan999
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by HeroMan999 » October 3rd, 2009, 9:02 pm

Playing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 right now. It is pretty good, but unfortunately it is and feels like a spin off--it reuses the music and levels from Kingdom Hearts 2.

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » October 5th, 2009, 8:37 pm

I'm surprised I didn't mention it earlier... Can't find a mention of it, my favorite doujin games!

Crescent Pale Mist.
http://tlmoogle.wordpress.com/current-p ... pale-mist/
Spectacular side-scrolling combat with uniquely challenging abilties... I love the game to death, as much as I hate it as well ;) [I started on the hardest mode available...]
The game HAS Just been fan-translated into english, including a demo to let you get a taste for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXr_ViXbkT8
Translated by the Lone Moogle : http://tlmoogle.wordpress.com/
My limited testing of the translation so far, would have me rate it as not bad, easily understandable. Good stuff! [Not awarding it awesome or perfect though as of yet... It felt a little dry in some places, but the point is clear and enjoyable.]
I still am suprised about this translation... It really came out of the blue!

Next game is,
Utawarerumono Battle. (Aruruw to Asobo!) Unfortantely not translated, but I believe the tools used with Utawarerumono can be used to patch it. The game is great arcade fun, and probably even moreso if played 2 player... [unfortantely I don't know if it's possible to play over the net...] The dialogue's look hilarious even without understanding it due to the awkward situations... Fun mini-game.

Next game is,
Trouble Witches Unfortantely not translated, but it was supposed to be; officially by the company. They did the english manual.. or should I say engrish manual. Would absolutely flip out reading this cute mini visual novel + shooting game. Looks and plays like a breath of warm air. Fun game... [even better if someone were to translate it...]

And lastly,
Ether Vapor I read on romhacking.net there might be a translation project WiP already... This is a very enjoyable vertical shooting game. With different mecahanics than your average bullet hell; it's a lot of fun and looks and plays great.

All of these come highly recommended. I don't know of any other amazing doujins at this time, but feel free to point them out!

abscess

Unread post by abscess » October 6th, 2009, 10:42 pm

For those that have read my previous post about Ninokuni, or those that already knew about it, this is another piece of news shamelessly taken from Destructoid:
http://www.destructoid.com/biggest-ds-c ... .phtml#ext
In short, Ninokuni will be the biggest cart for DS with 4GB, even bigger than a UMD's 1.8GB. Also, Joe Hisaishi will compose music for it. Its big-ass capacity is likely to retain the awesomeness of the score and the animation shown in the trailer. But the main problem still persists, that it may not come outside of Japan.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Maes » October 7th, 2009, 1:40 am

Two words about that game. Do want. I'd actually go buy a DS finally if that ever made it to the shores of the US.
その目だれの目?

abscess

Unread post by abscess » October 8th, 2009, 1:42 am

Maes wrote:Two words about that game. Do want. I'd actually go buy a DS finally if that ever made it to the shores of the US.
Same here. Ghibli is just that awesome.

If there's any Shenmue fan here like me, that still feels unbearably sad when seeing the chances of Shenmue III of ever existing; outside of Yu Suzuki's mysterious mind, grow smaller and smaller as time passes by, this video may bring some of that tattered and famished hope back.... or kick it on its groin and make you feel bad about what they've done:
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing: Ryo Returns! ... At least they are considering Shenmue as part of SEGA All-Stars.

Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Raven » October 9th, 2009, 6:16 pm

I just picked up Magna Carta 2. I'll see how this goes.

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » October 11th, 2009, 3:24 am

just played the demo for Brutal Legend.... left me with mixed feelings.....
► Show Spoiler
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Atriel » October 11th, 2009, 4:34 am

^Really? I wanted to kill kittens when I watched a video of it. Granted, what I saw was the concept and not the gameplay (whatever it is) but after watching it, the voices in my head just screamed "STAY AWAY!". Not that I can (or want) to make sure of it when I don't have a 360 or a PS3 <_<. I hope that changes in a few months.

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » October 11th, 2009, 4:50 am

trust me.... pretty much nothing beats the awesomeness of driving over hordes of demonesque evil priests on a hot rod while the "Ace of Spades" plays loud in the background

heck, i wouldnt be able to think of a better analogy ever.

(no maiden nor metallica on the soundtrack makes me sad though D: )

also: RROD permanent then?? that sucks
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Atriel » October 11th, 2009, 3:17 pm

I don't know, I've always been a little... special when it comes to music oriented games. I will at least give it a try I guess.

And no, it was not RRoD. I mean, it happened but I fixed it and I can actually go and turn my 360 on right now, the thing is that the DVD drive died D: Lucky me!

... In fact, I can download the demo right now it's just that it has been ages since I played my 360. I forgot I could :facepalm:

abscess

Unread post by abscess » October 11th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Atriel wrote:my 360['s] [...] DVD drive died D:
http://video-game-central.com/xbox360-r ... drive.html
I haven't bought from that site, you probably would like to check another, but the thing is that you can buy replacements.
Atriel wrote:RRoD, [...] I fixed it
I demand to know how!

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Atriel » October 11th, 2009, 10:51 pm

^Yeah, the thing is that a replacement drive is about 50 bucks, plus me messing around with my 360 and probably fucking it up. I'm saving for both an Elite 360 and a PS3 slim, I'll probably buy both in December since I will get some scholarship money plus what I already have saved up.
abscess wrote:I demand to know how!
Sure, I'll tell you how I fixed mine. I'll just ask Message if there is no problem with me making a new thread about it. It's not modding, since you are just changing some screws, replacing thermic compound and the like, so I guess there won't be a problem.

I just played the demo of Brutal Legend...

I was going to write a long essay about it, but there is no point. I'll save my opinions. I did like listening to the Hellion-Electric Eye in the menu and Children of the Grave while I beat the shit out of cultists, but... ugh... I don't know. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and rent it someday.

Also, the game tries too hard to be funny and fails miserably.

Taken from the soundtrack of the game, from our beloved and reliable wikipedia:
"The Beautiful People" Marilyn Manson
"Through the Fire and Flames" DragonForce
Wut?

That is all.

abscess

Unread post by abscess » October 12th, 2009, 5:03 am

Atriel wrote:Sure, I'll tell you how I fixed mine.
Awesome! If, by any chance, he says no, drop a PM or an e-mail, please. Thanks, dude.

Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Maes » October 13th, 2009, 9:44 pm

2 games I'm looking forward to in the coming weeks.

Borderlands and

Dragon Age: Origins
その目だれの目?

wyldfire
Addict

Unread post by wyldfire » October 17th, 2009, 5:31 pm

crescent pale mist is indeed awesome and visually fantastic too....but it's damn hard...i can't get past the platforming sequences in stage 2...will someone please be kind enough to upload their savegame???

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » October 17th, 2009, 9:31 pm

wyldfire wrote:crescent pale mist is indeed awesome and visually fantastic too....but it's damn hard...i can't get past the platforming sequences in stage 2...will someone please be kind enough to upload their savegame???
Unfortantely my savegame is only on Hard mode (Sacred Knight?)... But that would just let you skip Stage 2... you really should beat it :D
I was having trouble trying to picture the platforming area you were talking about.. I think I remember now.
If you fall you have to rush all the way back and try again... You just have to bounce off the wall a couple times to get past that part. It gets much harder in later levels I think. THERE is a way to avoid that area completely though and skip to the end of the level...

If you are desperate you can try it! It's tough to skip to the end though...
► Show Spoiler
Or for full spoiler disclousure :
► Show Spoiler
Tell me if that helps :D

It really is a Challenging game... Lots of fun epic fun though! (until you get lost in the later levels :p) So hard already, and I haven't even unlocked Nightmare :O

wyldfire
Addict

Unread post by wyldfire » October 18th, 2009, 3:44 am

hey,thnx a lot...I cleared stage 2...i got stuck in the last bit of platforming last night...the boss fights are totally eye candy...but i'm stuck in stage 3 again :lol: ...is there any walkthrough for this game???i searched a lot in google but nothing came up...