What games are you playing & recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Re: What games are you playing & recommendations

Unread postby exerron » November 23rd, 2009, 12:43 am

Atriel wrote:Folklore. I was confused as to what the hell I had to do. I'll give it another go later, the writing was a bit rushed.

Well, just follow what the...things say. In battle, you have to "flick" the controller upwords, so you can suck up souls. This game is the reason I actually bough myself a playstation 3...
exerron
Might just like this board

Unread postby Catastrophe » November 23rd, 2009, 1:02 am

Atriel wrote:Resistance 1. Pretty generic, not getting it. I'll rent Resistance 2 later maybe...

that sounds..... "faily" .... since well..... R2 wont make the slightest sense without playing FoM 1st
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » November 23rd, 2009, 2:26 am

exerron wrote:Well, just follow what the...things say. In battle, you have to "flick" the controller upwords, so you can suck up souls. This game is the reason I actually bough myself a playstation 3...

I had that just right, it's just that the overall feel was weird. Five minutes into the game and a somewhat skeptical guy was already in the Netherworld. It felt pretty linear for an... RPG? I'm not even sure what it is. Since I didn't finish the demo I'll give it another go once I'm freed from university.

Catastrophe wrote:that sounds..... "faily" .... since well..... R2 wont make the slightest sense without playing FoM 1st

Is the story any good? I mean, as far as I could tell it was ANOTHER alien invasion game. If anything, I would get it for better gameplay, not really caring about what happens. If the story actually has something going for it, then that's a different thing altogether <.<

*Goes back to do his homework, cursing along the way*
If you disagree, you are wrong.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Catastrophe » November 24th, 2009, 2:39 am

@ resistance
its pretty nice, yes, mostly due to a fairly large amount of GAR involved, and gameplaywise, its actually goddamn varied.
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » December 7th, 2009, 3:42 am

I tried Bayonetta's demo in my new (yes, I bought both) 360 and it was better than expected. The first videos I watched felt really... dumb, or so to say. The actual gameplay however is a lot of fun. I don't know how long the fun may last, but as of now it's a future purchase.

Also I watched a video from Just Cause 2. I want this one too D:

http://kotaku.com/5420169/just-cause-2- ... s-on-drugs

"This isn't about realism, it's about fun!"

Madness!! Take your filthy "fun" away from my videogames!

... glad to see that some developers still understand the point of videogames.

Edit: Must read if you are on vacation or slacking: http://www.destructoid.com/the-real-top ... 6920.phtml

Those, my fellow VNers...visualnovelers... VNrs... ahem, are the TOP TEN GAMES OF THE DECADE. Teh real ones.

Another edit: I forgot, I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 4. I have no idea what is going on since I have never played one but I'm liking it a lot. But I'm on Act 3 now... tailing NPCs around the damn city is NOT fun. I'm also trying to get some wallpapers into my PS3, but it doesn't recognize the images D: I want my Akiha wallpaper dammit! I'll just have to google it.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Catastrophe » December 9th, 2009, 2:57 am

Atriel wrote:Edit: Must read if you are on vacation or slacking: http://www.destructoid.com/the-real-top ... 6920.phtml

Those, my fellow VNers...visualnovelers... VNrs... ahem, are the TOP TEN GAMES OF THE DECADE. Teh real ones.

i almost... ALMOST fell for it.... until i saw dinasty warriors

Atriel wrote:Another edit: I forgot, I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 4. I have no idea what is going on since I have never played one but I'm liking it a lot

you..... you never.... you never what???? how can that sentence exist????? and you call yourself a gamer???? SHAME ON YOU

Atriel wrote:I'm also trying to get some wallpapers into my PS3, but it doesn't recognize the images D: I want my Akiha wallpaper dammit! I'll just have to google it.

weird......VERY weird. any jpg did it for me (had a Rin wallie until not so long...)
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » December 18th, 2009, 9:38 pm

"Noooooo! Get up Mr. Bubbles!! Get up!!"

So, I rented Bioshock. Very late, I know. But it's an awesome game, and freaking long too. No FPS lasts more than 2 days for me, and I've been at it for 3 days in a row! I still can't finish.

Next rent: The Darkness.

Edit: I just finished Bioshock, and man was it awesome. It's as good as I heard it was... sadly, since it was rented I rushed my ass to finish it in time. If there is anyone that has not played it yet and wants to, I advise you to buy it. You will get a much better experience that way, or rent it for AT LEAST 10 days.

Also, the epic tale of the Console Wars(not mine):

I come from the year 2202 with a warning.

In 2012 The Console Wars escalated leading to the creation of several warring factions and the creation of robotic armies built from sentient consoles that started to attack the human race. Nintendo gaining ground early on with massive numbers, however on the battlefield their simple AI systems and lack of an effective network between the individual units meant they were quickly wiped out in tactical defeats.

After the fall of the Grand Army of the Nintendo in 2083 and Commander Miyamato's surrender, the Sony Defence Force with technically advanced units started to gain ground in the east, all the while Microsofts Xbox armies had been gaining much ground in the west. Europe felt the brunt of the damage(were used to it by now) but thankfully by 2158 very few units remained. Over 50% of MS army had just failed on the battlefield within the first few years, and though they had carried on replacing them, they just couldn't keep up. And the SDF armies just suddenly died when they ran out of juice. They relied on Fusion power, a technology that hadn't been invented yet.

After the Console wars finally ended, devastation had left billions homeless, cities laid waste, all consoles that could be networked, or had a CPU over 500mhz were banned and outlawed.

The PSone and N64 came to prominence again. Rebuilt from plans made over 2 centuries ago. What was left of SqureTivision remade a game called 'FFVII' that was popular amongst our forefathers and they had been clamoring for a remake, and its unfortunate it took so long and a major war.
But as that was the only game made for the N64 in 2201 I guess its one of the 50 cart6s it came on., the label must of come off as it passed through time (I had to leave my clothes behind)

Also we sent a guy back in time before me to warn you guys, called Jack Thompson. He seemed like he might be the most convincing he was to integrate with society and subtly warn you about the murder machines n such.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » December 20th, 2009, 3:11 pm

I'm playing RE4... sadly, without the patch... with knife-only, err most of the time... using chapter transition saves only... on professional difficulty... just for kicks... again. :lol:
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby Watashimo » December 25th, 2009, 5:17 am

Dragon Age is so good. I beat it twice and have 4 other running characters. I just couldn't decide how I wanted to do things, but it is awesome. I would have loved it so much more if it had more D&D elements - such as the diverse classes and races.
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » December 27th, 2009, 8:32 pm

I'm playing Demon Souls. I'm liking it so far, but it has a couple of minor flaws like being zero newbie friendly. Sadly, it has no 1080p support for the few times that I get a chance to play on a 44" HDTV. The online mode is creative indeed...

And I can't wait to get my hands on Alien vs Predator, I loved the PC ones. It will be the next multiplayer game to drain away my vacations.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby abscess » December 28th, 2009, 12:52 am

Re-playing Mass Effect yet again, this time using a lesbian with a knack for putting a bullet between people's eyes and an ability to have a blue glow around her when casting space wizards.
Just a note: If you ever get the chance to read the first Mass Effect book, don't waste your cash on it.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Raven » January 4th, 2010, 1:22 am

I'm waiting for Resonant of Fate.

Promotion video:

Battle system:

Oh yeah you can grab the Japanese demo of PSN Japan, I think it's also on the 360 Japanese market place.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Maes » January 4th, 2010, 1:41 am

abscess wrote:Re-playing Mass Effect yet again, this time using a lesbian with a knack for putting a bullet between people's eyes and an ability to have a blue glow around her when casting space wizards.
Just a note: If you ever get the chance to read the first Mass Effect book, don't waste your cash on it.

I just got Mass Effect off of Steam for $5 the other day, definitely seems like it was worth the full price when it came out but I just never got around to getting it til now >.>
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » January 4th, 2010, 5:47 am

I'm playing Resident Evil: Deadly Silence on my DS.

Now if only I could still remember how my uncle beat it about a decade ago...
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby abscess » January 9th, 2010, 3:21 am

Maes wrote:I just got Mass Effect off of Steam for $5 the other day, definitely seems like it was worth the full price when it came out but I just never got around to getting it til now >.>

It totally is. Call me a fanboy if you want (I probably am so it isn't too much of a stretch, anyway) but I think it's one of the best games that has come in the last years. The story is intriguing and it has potential to be so much more, something that a lot of stories fail at. A lot of 'em get to the point of climax and then begin to be intriguing, making it hard for it to still have the potential of becoming something else, something bigger. In other words, the speculation from the part of the spectator (or player, or reader or whatever) in an attempt to foresee what might come and why is pretty much lost and what's left is merely the rush towards the final events of the story.

Well, currently wasting my time with:
Left 4 Dead 2
I LOVE zombies. Mainly when you can chainsaw your way through hordes of those bastards kicking, punching and screaming at you. Now I have this big, fat-ass man-crush on Coach and want a retarded cousin like Ellis in my family.

Cross + Channel
I started it yesterday and have some issues with it, but it still is too early to have an elaborated opinion about it.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby Atriel » January 9th, 2010, 5:59 pm

^I Falcon Pawnched a reporter in the face in Mass Effect. That alone, makes it awesome.

I'm on a New Game+ in Demon's Souls as of now, and I'm half through it again. To put it simple, Demon's Souls is kind of like a fusion between a MMORPG and Zelda:OoT. It's a very good game while it lasts but it will only last long if you are either a completionist or want to fully experience PvP (both of them, which I'm not really interested). I've had my share of PvP in the game and it's fun, but it's not really a reason to play it all that much. I'll check out the magic and probably be done with it.

Also, I heard it was a hard game all over the place. It's not. Sure you die a couple of times, but that's to be expected. It's an easy game, you only need a bit of brains. Recommended game anyway. It's fun.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Raven » January 17th, 2010, 4:59 am

With Sakura Wars 5 released in a couple of months (the first game of the series ever released in English), I'm thinking of playing through Sakura Taisen 1-4 first. It has been one of my most favorite anime series so I has always want to play the game. (Plus it's probably one of the best hyprid between RPG and VN out there).

So does anyone here play these game before and how much Japanese is needed for it? I'm sitting somewhere near the beginning tip of intermediate level, I think have a good grasp of grammar, comfortable with Kana and know about 500 kanji. I'm not expecting a smooth sailing but is the game very demanding in term of Japanese?
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Watashimo » January 17th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Well I just beat Assassin's Creed 2, which was far superior to the first one imho. I also bought BlazBlue which is a really good fighting game. I wholeheartedly recommend both
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby X-Calibar » January 18th, 2010, 5:11 pm

Game called Saira. Demo is free, full-game is 12$ on sale [for only 2 more days!]...
Very fun artistic but currently short game. By Niffalis, same person who did that freeware game Within a Deep Forest, and Kyntt and Kyntt Stories. Highly recommended for a free fun time (plus this Saira game pays a few nods to the other games :D).
http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?page=1001Saira

I didn't know what to expect but loved the demo enough to not be stingy [not often]. So highly recommended. Especially if you like to support indie developers! [it includes indie music too!]

Only criticism is the game is much shorter than I hoped... There is currently only one episode. But, users can create new content I hear. So eventually one way or another the story should continue...
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » January 21st, 2010, 11:16 pm

I officially want to fap to this trailer

Mass Effect 2 Launch Trailer
abscess

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat