What games are you playing & recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Re: What games are you playing & recommendations

Unread postby Watashimo » March 30th, 2010, 2:56 am

True that SC 2 didn't exactly become "a whole new game." But I'm pretty sure a lot of people (eh, Korea) would have been upset if they changed it too much. If you've played the first SC then you can pretty much jump right into this one. One or two games with each race is enough to learn most of the changes and a couple more games to develop new strategies with them. Personally I loved that fact. I was afraid they would stray too far from what made SC an addicting and fun game.

True, some people might find the lack of a lot of change disappointing, but I feel that if you loved the first one then there is no reason not to love the second. And it may not look much different at first glance (aside from the shiny new graphics), but there really is a lot of changes with the game elements.

If you jump in thinking that you're old strategies will grab you the victory, think again - you'll be quickly surprised by the new strategies that people came up with from the new units and changes in gameplay elements. Well I've said about as much as I could without giving anything away. My recommendation is that if you liked SC1, pick up SC2.
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raven » March 30th, 2010, 4:38 pm

I have never liked SC's gameplay. The only thing I liked about it was the solid SP campaign so it'll probably be the same case for SC2. Depend on how long and elaborated the game is will be the factor whether I gonna get it or not.

In other news, Sakura Taisen 5 ships today in the US so I'll get it tomorrow. Anyone else buying this game?
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Maes » May 4th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Well, SC2 just got a release date. July 27th. Just pre-ordered mine.
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » May 5th, 2010, 9:27 am

Playing Ouendan 1 & 2 for teh lulz.... played Elite Beat Agents for teh lulz too.
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » May 5th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Currently I've been lost somewere in the Touhou series to the point were I barely have time for anything else it would seem. It's a good bullet hell series, but I kind of like two of the three fighting games that were spawned which are 10.5 and 12.3.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Raven » May 8th, 2010, 10:50 pm

I'm playing Mount&Blade: Warband. It's kinda like a Action Adventure Role Playing Strategy game (sorry if that's a bit long winded) from an indie developers. It certainly needs a lot of improvement and bug fixing (there was a period they released 3 patches in one week). But it's quite fun though, think about it like an mini Total War that's played like Oblivion. You're basically a guy or gal running around with your own band of mercenary, you can rob caravans, loot towns and village, or fight bandit. Or you can swear into a vassal of an existing kingdom and fight in a war or you're freelancing merc. Or better yet, if you have the ball and skill, found your own kingdom. While the game in general needs more work the combat is quite fun and dare I say addicting, it's kinda Oblivion minus the magic and about 10 times more fun, and the horse combat is quite smooth for the most part (this is the only game I know that actually let you do coach lance attack). And leading your army personally in first person is quite nice. (you can mod it up to 500 soldiers if your comp can handle it)

For the price and expectation I sure feel a lot better buying it comparing to most of my other recent $50-$60 purchase.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » July 23rd, 2010, 6:40 pm

Hey guys, long time no see! All right, just a couple of months I guess. I'm back and feel like spamming this thread a bit.

Anyway, I just finished Dead Space on Hard. It was okay, but it didn't awe me or anything like that. The last battle however, while piss easy, has that "incredibly epic" feel to it. The whole game feels like Resident Evil 4-5 to some extent, something among the lines of suspense-action. I wouldn't play it again though, but it was a nice rent. It's a good enough game to get for what it offers, you have enough weapons to mess around with.

I also finished Alan Wake some weeks ago. Man, was the game boring. Its combat is repetitive. You don't have many weapons and only kill about 3-4 kinds of enemies. The story doesn't particularly make up for it. While its concept is pretty good, I find the execution to be rather crappy. The voice acting (which should be top notch in a game like this) isn't good enough, I mean it's not shitty by any means, but just falls short of what it could've been. I can't really identify what the problem is, but it just 'feels' like it could have been better. The game has collectibles that serve no purpose other than achievements. I would only recommend it to a die hard fan of suspense, and perhaps horror novels.

And God of War 3. The combat is plain boring, really. The fun part about this game is watching it in HD. The graphics are amazing and watching Kratos disemboweling a Centaur is some violent-stupid fun. If you don't like extreme violence, there's no point in playing this. The platforming isn't particularly fun and as said, the combat is very boring. You might as well play Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta to get good combat. The game has amazing graphics and the sheer size of some enemies makes it a sight to behold. It was worth my rental, but no way I'm playing through it again.

I have Lost Odyssey waiting for me and will start playing it today or tomorrow. 4 discs... I knew the box was too heavy.

Regularly, I also play Bad Company 2. The single player is average, but the multiplayer is where it's at. Seriously, it can be damn fun. Anyone that likes team based multiplayer should get this. The maps are huge, there are vehicles (land, air, and water) and 4 'kits' (classes) to choose from.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_E83GfW ... r_embedded
StarCraft 2, latest video. I just want this game so bad ;_;
If you disagree, you are wrong.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Maes » July 23rd, 2010, 9:48 pm

Atriel wrote:Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_E83GfW ... r_embedded

Less than a week to go.
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Watashimo » July 24th, 2010, 2:37 am

Maes wrote:
Atriel wrote:Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_E83GfW ... r_embedded

Less than a week to go.

OMG!!!!!! Amazing! I get my copy in 4 days!
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » July 24th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Damn you! I still need to buy myself a new card, and I'm very limited due to my motherboard. I know which card to get, but I'll cry like a little girl if I can't find it. Even with all the bullshit Blizzard has pulled, I can't wait to get my hands on this. If all goes well, I might as well be playing SC2 in 2-3 weeks.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Watashimo » July 24th, 2010, 7:28 pm

Atriel wrote:Damn you! I still need to buy myself a new card, and I'm very limited due to my motherboard. I know which card to get, but I'll cry like a little girl if I can't find it. Even with all the bullshit Blizzard has pulled, I can't wait to get my hands on this. If all goes well, I might as well be playing SC2 in 2-3 weeks.

Well, I hope my computer can handle it. It played the Beta very well but I dunno about those high-grade cinematics.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby solopy567 » July 27th, 2010, 9:36 am

I think the cinematics are the same grade as the Warcraft III ones, so I think it will be alright.
"Sion Eltnam is no more.
All there is left is a dead apostle who has inherited the name of TATARI.
Now.....Let's begin the Bloody Second Act." - Sion TATARI
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Maes » July 27th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Installing now ;)
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Watashimo » July 28th, 2010, 5:05 am

So many custom games already. O.o
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » July 29th, 2010, 5:32 am

Damn you guys D:

I want it already :< I seriously hope, and will pray to Raptor Jesus all nights so that I can get that card. Together with a shiny new copy of SC2.

And today I played a "new" map on Bad Company 2. It sucked balls.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Watashimo » July 31st, 2010, 7:19 am

Eh... as a quick tip for anyone playing SC2. When you get to the mission Media Blitz, go to the bottom right corner and unlock the secret mission. If you don't unlock it before you enter "The Final Missions," then you'll have to replay the entire campaign (unless you have a save at Media Blitz, in that case you only have to complete the rest of the game from then on) in order to get the Completionist achievement.

So yea, I've completed 28/29 missions on my completed save file... >.> Had to start back at Media Blitz. The secret mission is also worth playing - its like the secret mission in the first game, it reveals some story that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » August 9th, 2010, 5:02 am

Yay! I just got SC2 and it runs smoothly. For massive multiplayer I guess I'll have to lower it to high or medium settings.

If anyone wants to play, I got the U.S. version and... I... don't really know how to add people or how to get people to add me. Uh... yeah, I'll edit this tomorrow <_<

Oh, also I've been playing Muramasa:The Demon Blade and Little King's Story for the Wii. As of now, I can say both titles are very damn good.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Maes » August 9th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Atriel wrote:If anyone wants to play, I got the U.S. version and... I... don't really know how to add people or how to get people to add me. Uh... yeah, I'll edit this tomorrow <_<

There's a friends list just to the left of the clock in the bottom right, just click that and it'll open and you'll have the option of adding people either by RealID or Character.

Feel free to add me: Thorin, 516
Last edited by Maes on August 10th, 2010, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Watashimo » August 9th, 2010, 9:31 pm

You can add me too. Gilgamesh, 733
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » August 10th, 2010, 7:03 pm

I'll add you later guys. If anyone else cares, I'm Atriel, 166.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat