What games are you playing & recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » October 31st, 2008, 2:25 am

fifa 09 mobile :lol:
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

Thalnos
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Thalnos » October 31st, 2008, 2:38 am

Mkilbride wrote:Mm, games are easier, it's how people like them, I mentioned it a few posts above.

I'm sorry, but I still disagree on Hard Mode. Hard Modes of today are just more HP and more Armor / Defense / Whatever.

Games back in early 2001 and under, had challenging bosses and enemies that actually changed depending on difficulty. Now I'll agree THAT'S what I like, I like harder stuff like that.

What I do not like is games that simply increase an enemies HP / Defense and people go "WHOOT, I BEAT IT ON HARD"(Hurrah to you, you did the same thing, just clicked more!)

Dante Must Die Mode...now that is skillful. I've played it and yeah, you can't be no punk doing that. Heaven or Hell mode though, well, it can be heavenly or hellish, but it's not hard.

Well, take for example RPGS today, it's a good example. Say you played "Normal mode" of said RPG, and you fight a boss that has 25,000 HP. You up to to "Hard" and he now has 75,000 HP. So now the entire game is harder because enemies have more HP? No, it's just more annoying. RPGS / Action Adventure games of old used to actually challenge you to be creative in how you fought a boss...now it's just keep clicking until it's dead.
You know fucking what? I agree with you 100%! There is a definate difference from a true "hard" mode that represents what normal used to be, and a half assed "hard" mode.

What you described is the half assed hard mode, which is sadly, quite common. And you know what? THAT is EXACTLY why I don't really like the new Castlevania. Exactly why.

But like I was saying, Dante Must Die and Nightmare modes are what I mean by true hard. Either way, I'm going to agree with you.
"We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly." - Bill Maher

gmsephiroth
Addict

Unread post by gmsephiroth » October 31st, 2008, 5:41 am

Well, if we're going to talk about games that truly up the difficulty with the higher difficulty settings, I'll list some of the few that I've beaten off the top of my head:

DMC series - Dante Must Die
MGS series - Extreme
Ninja Gaiden - Master Ninja
Ace Combat series - Ace Mode

I'll come up with more as I recall it...

that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread post by that one guy » October 31st, 2008, 5:44 am

AH! I fucking love Ace mode. Especially in 5 in the mission Ghosts of Razgriz. That was the first Ace I ever beat....good times.

Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Henduluin » October 31st, 2008, 7:19 am

Any of the Touhou games at Lunatic? >.> Or any true danmaku game at highest setting for that matter.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.

gmsephiroth
Addict

Unread post by gmsephiroth » October 31st, 2008, 2:53 pm

that one guy wrote:AH! I fucking love Ace mode. Especially in 5 in the mission Ghosts of Razgriz. That was the first Ace I ever beat....good times.
Yeah, that was a good mission...hard too. They did a really good job with upping the difficulty in AC6's Ace of Aces mode...it was a rough time getting through that even with the CFA-44. I rather enjoyed Ace of Aces mode since it actually required quite a bit of mission planning on the players part to make sure you and your wingman were properly equipped to tackle the missions, all the way down to which particular planes had which particular armaments and how they were going to go about using them throughout the mission. The enemy variety right off the bat was insane too. Like, AoA Mission 2, after all the crap you had to take out, it throws in not one, but two Gyges at you as your last targets. At first, I was like "WTF is that sh*t?!", but then I figured that was what made the mode fun, and got pretty into it fairly quick. It was probably one of the best investments of MSP I'd ever made...^_^

that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread post by that one guy » October 31st, 2008, 7:20 pm

Dammit, posts like that just make me want to spend more money so I can get a 360 and blaze through AC6. Especially after the dissapointment that was AC Zero.

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Atriel » October 31st, 2008, 7:25 pm

Well Ninja Gaiden 2 is hard. But it's more of a "you get swarmed and owned by fuckers throwing explosives at you" hard than a "new tactics" hard.

I'm almost past Mentor, haven't had the chance to play =(. It's not too hard in Mentor, but if you are me and try to get every Test of Valor on the first run via brute force it's hell.

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » October 31st, 2008, 10:10 pm

Mkilbride wrote:Shadow Hearts is good, although I got stuck at a part and I kinda lost interest. I really like the games Combat system and story.
Started Shadow Hearts on the 28th! Looks like today on the 31st I'll be beating it on Halloween :D
My impression of Shadow Hearts..
B+ average RPG... with the makings of an S-class RPG..
The game does a lot of stuff right. Some parts are remarkable. I just wish it could be fine tuned, expanded into a perfect game :P

The attention to detail is beautiful. Completely unnecessary areas have outstanding atmospheres/artwork... The music is a spectacular and unique by Yoshitaka Hirota and Yasunori Mitsuda... The game employs interesting conventions in a truly awesome way. The combat is decent, and fun. And the characters are unique and each get their moment to shine. Story-wise the game has some really excellent material. Not to mention all of the places in the world you get to visit.

What's the downside? I feel like the game is a masterwork that is about halfway finished. It begs for more character interaction in places, fill in the gaps that are left to our imagination... [i.e. : go to a tavern and we're supposed to be drinking/eating; kind of a party atmosphere before setting off on a grim thing... but all I get are very sparse dialouge hints to let me in on that fact... such as the characters don't move or change, but suddenly I'm drunk lol or get the impression we've been relaxing/partying] Those kinds of gaps are littered through the game. And the imagination can patch the hole, but the game suffers and feels incomplete in how these gaps show up... [I'm used to book/visual novel level interaction/Baldur's Gate level banters]

A 50% completed game is obviously enjoyable by the reviews of this game... but it could be SO much more...

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » November 1st, 2008, 6:11 pm

I'm sad it's over :( Even if I say it's a 50% perfect game. It still had a lot of good stuff, and the sidequests and secrets made the game a lot better at the end. I'm really disappointed about one thing though... I worked really hard and got the good ending... but I just read that the sequel follows the events after the bad ending........... WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? sigh lol That makes me sad...

Guess I should start the sequel... [Fate/stay night is out! Argh! Guess I can wait a little longer..]

Kapow
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by Kapow » November 1st, 2008, 7:26 pm

La-Mulana
Cave Story
Deadly Rooms of Death: Architect's Edition (DROD:AE)
Within a Deep Forest
Yume Nikki
Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection

All freeware PC games. Check em out.

metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread post by metal_cocoabo » November 4th, 2008, 1:28 am

Started playing Urban Rivals (online card game ftw~!)

Also, about to start with Battle Moon Wars since I finally finished HF. I just hope there aren't any KnK spoilers... *crosses fingers*

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » November 5th, 2008, 8:35 am

Not playing these yet, but I thought I'd mention these projects just in case there are some Ultima fans still around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2_rdUSmzVg - Ultima V : Lazarus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2_rdUSmzVg
[Make sure you use High Quality mode or you won't be able to read the small text... plus I recommend full screen to make it even easier!]
A big fan project completed! To remake Ultima V... On the Dungeon Siege engine. Nice work! Love the music...

Official site : http://www.u5lazarus.com/
To enjoy it in stereo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2_rdUSmzVg&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Ka634314Q - Ultima 6 Project Milestone 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Ka634314Q
A big fan project to remake Ultima... it's been several years in the making so far...
Uses a custom Dungeon Siege engine. Make sure you watch it in High Quality, or you won't be able to read the text probably...

Official site : http://www.u6project.com/
To enjoy it in stereo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Ka634314Q&fmt=18

@Kapow - Yume Nikki looks Strange...!! Wonder where the english translation is...

nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!
Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread post by nanaya_shinya » November 5th, 2008, 8:43 am

I'm playing Yggdra Union.... =_=
!すでのな

drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread post by drizzt_rocks » November 5th, 2008, 10:13 pm

I am playing fate stay night XD
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO

nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by nanaya_shinya » November 6th, 2008, 6:32 am

I'm playing Fate/Hollow's mini-games...
!すでのな

ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by ayadew » November 6th, 2008, 6:44 am

drizzt_rocks wrote:I am playing fate stay night XD
Me too! lol
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!

nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by nanaya_shinya » November 6th, 2008, 7:01 am

Playing Melty Blood Act Cadenza against my buddies again...

I "trained" them enough that I don't have to play with a handicap! :lol:
!すでのな

ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by ayadew » November 6th, 2008, 8:17 am

Just go faceroll with Sion
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!

nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by nanaya_shinya » November 6th, 2008, 8:25 am

I am finishing Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia...
!すでのな