What games are you playing & recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » October 29th, 2008, 2:41 am

Mm, games are easier, it's how people like them, I mentioned it a few posts above.

I'm sorry, but I still disagree on Hard Mode. Hard Modes of today are just more HP and more Armor / Defense / Whatever.

Games back in early 2001 and under, had challenging bosses and enemies that actually changed depending on difficulty. Now I'll agree THAT'S what I like, I like harder stuff like that.

What I do not like is games that simply increase an enemies HP / Defense and people go "WHOOT, I BEAT IT ON HARD"(Hurrah to you, you did the same thing, just clicked more!)

Dante Must Die Mode...now that is skillful. I've played it and yeah, you can't be no punk doing that. Heaven or Hell mode though, well, it can be heavenly or hellish, but it's not hard.

Well, take for example RPGS today, it's a good example. Say you played "Normal mode" of said RPG, and you fight a boss that has 25,000 HP. You up to to "Hard" and he now has 75,000 HP. So now the entire game is harder because enemies have more HP? No, it's just more annoying. RPGS / Action Adventure games of old used to actually challenge you to be creative in how you fought a boss...now it's just keep clicking until it's dead.

ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by ayadew » October 29th, 2008, 6:50 am

There's difficulty these days, but it's moved to shootemup's and Devil May Cry
Atriel wrote:Now that you mention that, kids nowadays are dumber than normal. Maybe it's related to the stupidly easy videogames? :P
Unlikely, videogames has a positive effect on reflex, logic etc...
The world are really a place lacking in love currently. People are disinterested in general, that doesn't encourage learning and evolving..
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!

abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by abscess » October 29th, 2008, 8:01 am

ayadew wrote:There's difficulty these days, but it's moved to shootemup's and Devil May Cry
Atriel wrote:Now that you mention that, kids nowadays are dumber than normal. Maybe it's related to the stupidly easy videogames? :P
Unlikely, videogames has a positive effect on reflex, logic etc...
The world are really a place lacking in love currently. People are disinterested in general, that doesn't encourage learning and evolving..
Well, there are a number of theories for that. Disconnection between people is a major one. Let's face it, even having this technology where one can speak with someone from the other side of the world, disinterest is still happening, it's notable towards the people nearer to one's self (friends, family, whatever).... Anyway, going a bit back on topic.

Currently playing Mother 3. So far it seems superior (as expected) to Mother 2/EarthBound for the snes in the story development. Just the fact that the characters now are able to talk is a major change.... Well, they do, but they do not at the same time.... When you control one of the heroes, it stops talking, but when you control another one, the past one does... odd, somewhat.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Atriel » October 29th, 2008, 6:52 pm

ayadew wrote:Unlikely, videogames has a positive effect on reflex, logic etc...
Yeah, that's what i meant. They are easier so you use less logic and less reflexes. Of course, i wasn't too serious.

But really, they are getting dumber by the day :lol:

__

Ok then people. I have cash for 1 (O N E, One) game. I will get one for the 360, however i can't choose. Games i'm interested in buying:

GTA IV
Fable 2
Dead Space
The Darkness
Oblivion
Gears of War
Eternal Sonata
Infinite Undiscovery (is this one out? can't remember)
Call of Duty 4
, which i can't remember

Believe it or not i don't have those yet. First of all i'm interested in good single player, then the multiplayer.

Open to suggestions.

abscess

Unread post by abscess » October 29th, 2008, 8:14 pm

I'd go for Fable 2. Either that or Oblivion
I don't know much of GTA 4, they say it's "o-sum", but... well, they said that with San Andreas and, even though it was, it felt like more of the same.
I already got Oblivion (for PC) and GoW (X360). GoW is more for multiplayer than just the main campaign (which feels awfuly gay for some reason) and Oblivion is cool but I'm starting to try to not spend too much time playing videogames now. I think that Fable 2 is along the same vein as Oblivion (expansive world etc, etc) but more like a "sand box" kind of game, but I'm not too sure since I don't have it. I think I read somewhere that Eternal Sonata was good too, but short (20 hours or so). If you want a longer game I recommend Lost Odyessy, good game, battle system is turn based and has interesting story. The rest I dunno much I'm afraid.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

Zensunni
Addict

Unread post by Zensunni » October 29th, 2008, 8:39 pm

Think I'll go buy Fallout 3. Anyone played it yet and can give some spoiler-free feedback?

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » October 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

From what I've seen of Fallout 3, it's really generic, toned grey world, and it even comes with an Aimbot...I have it sitting next to me, but after watching Gameplay videos, I don't even know...

Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Henduluin » October 29th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Don't bother with Oblivion. The strength of the Elder Scrolls games lies in the user-made content and since the xbox lacks those... Not to mention Morrowind is at least 10 times better anyway in pretty much every aspect.

Lost Odyssey is really good and long, but easy once you get past a certain point. When I faced the last boss, I was practically immune to all types of damage, and I was nowhere near maximal potential. Doesn't take away it's been 50 hours of pure gaming pleasure. GREAT english voice acting too, really surprised me.

Eternal Sonata is really short for an RPG (15-20 hours?) and is a lot of wasted potential, but all-in-all not too bad, I especially liked the bits of background info on Chopin. Nevertheless, I suggest you only get it if you see it in a bargain bin somewhere.

As for Fable II, I've been really enjoying it, but I can't shake the feeling it's too watered down, but that might be because I've spent hundreds of hours playing Morrowind with ungodly amounts of mods.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.

abscess

Unread post by abscess » October 29th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Henduluin wrote:Don't bother with Oblivion. The strength of the Elder Scrolls games lies in the user-made content and since the xbox lacks those... Not to mention Morrowind is at least 10 times better anyway in pretty much every aspect.
I once went to moddb and took a (very) quick look at the mods of oblivion, but didn't find much. What mods do you know of or have?

drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread post by drizzt_rocks » October 29th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Heh finally got around to buying Odin Sphere.
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO

gmsephiroth
Addict

Unread post by gmsephiroth » October 30th, 2008, 12:29 am

Well, just in case you decide to go with the CoD route, I would suggest waiting until World at War's release and then buying that one. CoD4 is awesome, but WaW is going to have alot more multiplayer options to work with (aside from the standard multiplayer, it's going to have Co-op campaign, both online and splitscreen, as well as the new Nazi zombie mode, etc.)

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » October 30th, 2008, 1:04 am

World at War is awful.

It is COD4, but set in WW2. I have the open beta and I played for a few hours, and I felt like I was playing COD4. I love COD4, but honestly, I was hoping for something different. Also, the models for guns in WaW are...what the fudge? They're so ugly, games 4-5 years ago had better models...are they placeholders for the beta? I heard they aren't. Even some of the ICONS for WaW are straight from COD4. I even noticed some re-used SOUNDS. Treyarch didn't try at ALL to make this. It felt like COD4 with Bad models and a World War 2 setting. I was shocked, really. The screenshots I saw looked pretty good, but then...what happened?

You can drive Tanks, that was cool, but the excitement wore off within minutes.

gmsephiroth
Addict

Unread post by gmsephiroth » October 30th, 2008, 3:15 am

Mkilbride wrote:World at War is awful.

It is COD4, but set in WW2. I have the open beta and I played for a few hours, and I felt like I was playing COD4. I love COD4, but honestly, I was hoping for something different. Also, the models for guns in WaW are...what the fudge? They're so ugly, games 4-5 years ago had better models...are they placeholders for the beta? I heard they aren't. Even some of the ICONS for WaW are straight from COD4. I even noticed some re-used SOUNDS. Treyarch didn't try at ALL to make this. It felt like COD4 with Bad models and a World War 2 setting. I was shocked, really. The screenshots I saw looked pretty good, but then...what happened?

You can drive Tanks, that was cool, but the excitement wore off within minutes.
Wow, you're the first person I've heard say that is was bad...

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » October 30th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Well, I'm just disappointed. I love COD4, it was a break away from the series. I knew WaW was going back to WWII, but I figured hey, with all this new tech, it'll surely kick some ass. But it's just the same COD4 Engine in pretty much everyway, even icons are the same as I said. The MENU's are the same even! I feel like I'm playing a really lame free-version of COD4, as it removed alot of the features that made COD4. It feels like a step backwards, not because it's WWII, I enjoy WWII games alot, but the Engine in the demo seems to be missing a TON OF STUFF.

What is this "Flares" ? now ,instead of flashbangs, we have giant flares, and while they look cool, the idea is abit retarded.

I dunno, I was just hoping for a NEW Call of Duty game, but it's COD4 again, with worse models and a WWII setting.

fireb0rn
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by fireb0rn » October 30th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Fallout 3 is Oblivion just worse in every way.

If you wanna play Fallout, go buy Fallout1/2. They're cheap and so much better than any newer games you'll play.

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » October 30th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Yeh, I started playing Fallout 3, and it's ok, but I probably won't finish it. It gets old really fast and I'm only like two hours in.

Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Henduluin » October 30th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Just played Fallout for 90 minutes, maybe 2 hours... all I've got to say is: WORST INVENTORY SYSTEM EVER. That alone is enough for me to not want to play it... It also feels like a dumbed-down Oblivion, which was already incredibly dumbed down compared to Morrowind.

More proof that developing for PC *and* consoles only results in crappy games? Or is the current gaming generation simply that lazy?
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.

ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by ayadew » October 30th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Getting Dead Space for PC very soon, really looking forward to it.
Everyone I've talked with that's played it has loved it, that it's real quality and it feels new and exciting.
Most of all: It's damn scary. Basic primal tricks doesn't really work on many people anymore, and this is supposed to be somewhat physological.
I've not been creaming my pants since Silent Hill 2, not really expecting it'll be that good, but one can hope
Henduluin wrote:
More proof that developing for PC *and* consoles only results in crappy games? Or is the current gaming generation simply that lazy?
I have that feeling also, Dead Space ^ will be a pure console port to PC.

I miss the days of Deus Ex. That was completely made for PC, with an UI with small buttons and high complexity and purely designed to be interacted with a mouse.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!

gmsephiroth
Addict

Unread post by gmsephiroth » October 31st, 2008, 12:37 am

Mkilbride wrote:Well, I'm just disappointed. I love COD4, it was a break away from the series. I knew WaW was going back to WWII, but I figured hey, with all this new tech, it'll surely kick some ass. But it's just the same COD4 Engine in pretty much everyway, even icons are the same as I said. The MENU's are the same even! I feel like I'm playing a really lame free-version of COD4, as it removed alot of the features that made COD4. It feels like a step backwards, not because it's WWII, I enjoy WWII games alot, but the Engine in the demo seems to be missing a TON OF STUFF.

What is this "Flares" ? now ,instead of flashbangs, we have giant flares, and while they look cool, the idea is abit retarded.

I dunno, I was just hoping for a NEW Call of Duty game, but it's COD4 again, with worse models and a WWII setting.
Most of the people I talked to thought it was a good thing that they transferred the COD4 engine over to WaW. But I suppose everyone will have a different opinion on the matter. I haven't gotten to play the beta (since I'm getting WaW on PS3), but, aside from here, I've heard nothing but good things about it, so I'm hoping for the best (especially since I already dropped some cash on a pre-order)

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » October 31st, 2008, 1:07 am

Fallout 3's VAT is almost required. They made manual aiming screwed up, every shot makes your gun zig zag everywhere, so if you don't use Vats, you basically die. Some enemies can only be killed by shooting them in the yes too, and doing that while moving + enemy moving? = lol?

WaW...I just wanted a new COD, I just feel like no work was done besides a model swap in and out.