What games are you playing & recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Swartt
Addict

Unread post by Swartt » September 16th, 2008, 8:16 am

Can anyone recomend Spore? I have heard alot of good things about it
Sanity is for the weak-minded

idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread post by idontknoW » September 16th, 2008, 10:09 am

Swartt wrote:Can anyone recomend Spore? I have heard alot of good things about it
depends.

casual / moderate gamer? it's good.
hardcore gamer? disappointing.

Pros:
Creators (e.g. Creature Creator) are loads of fun, especially because of the customizability
Easy learning curve.
It's fun no matter how many times you'd play it. Or it's just me. It's because your game universe expands as you create more creatures (similar to having more people in The Sims series.)
Graphics are decent.
Downloadable content.

Cons:
Gameplay lacks elements (except for the last phase of the game)
Gameplay is repetitive.
The 3-install DRM (not an actual gameplay con.)

EDIT: Personal opinion on this? It's a mix. I like and hate it. I'm having fun though, and that's good enough. I wished it had more elements that would make the gameplay experience great though.
Last edited by idontknoW on September 17th, 2008, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.

Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Henduluin » September 16th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Swartt wrote:Can anyone recomend Spore? I have heard alot of good things about it
Spore is basically a second Black & White in that it is a game built around the Editors, much like B&W was built around the Creature.

If you like messing around with no real purpose and enjoy creating (or blowing up >.>) stuff, this is a great game.
If you are looking for a really deep FPS/RTS/RPG/4X game, I suggest you look somewhere else.

That being said, I've been enjoying the game immensely. The only downside I could find is that the rate of events in the space phase (like pirates attacking you) is slightly too high for my tastes, but it's not so high that it's undoable.

Just be sure not to rush to the center of the galaxy. The Grox are a really annoying opponent to fight, especially as a peaceful species.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.

Swartt
Addict

Unread post by Swartt » September 17th, 2008, 8:23 am

@ idontknoW and Henduluin

Seems like it's worth getting, Spore sounds like a good game to buy if I wanna kill some time, thank you for you opinion^^
Sanity is for the weak-minded

IceCold_Asssassin
Crack Addic!

Unread post by IceCold_Asssassin » September 18th, 2008, 6:27 am

Final Fantasy IV DS. great game so far.
Mass effect. awesome game too.

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » September 19th, 2008, 11:38 pm

since NFS Undercover will be the worst game in existence ever (check page 9 for full rant :evil: ) i'll be getting myself Midnight Club LA, looks badass 8) (and has Lambos :lol: )

question......
any alternative way to charge funds to a ps3 account besides Credit Card? since sony decided it was better to ignore the everly increasing LatinAmerica market, i cant do it that way (and Whipeout HD is on its way)

EDIT:
what the...... 306 posts already???

well.... a bit late but.....

THIS IS SPARTA!!11!!!!1!!! (300th :lol: )
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

Thalnos
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Thalnos » September 20th, 2008, 4:50 pm

NFS stopped being good after HP2
"We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly." - Bill Maher

nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!
Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread post by nanaya_shinya » September 21st, 2008, 2:43 pm

idontknoW wrote:...Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator...
The only quote that I remember from the game..."Hey Maya, how are you today?"
!すでのな

idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread post by idontknoW » September 22nd, 2008, 9:25 am

nanaya_shinya wrote:
idontknoW wrote:...Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator...
The only quote that I remember from the game..."Hey Maya, how are you today?"
:D I KNOW THAT LINE! hmm... what was it again?

I'm betting it was said by the Workbots in Shell 2 (starting city).

Speaking of, I'm still playing that game ever since my other post in this thread and I went past the point when I played it as a kid (when it had game-stopping bugs) and all I can say is that the game is bloody long, I wasn't even at the halfway point back then (which I thought I was)

also, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.

Jatts
Addict

Unread post by Jatts » September 26th, 2008, 6:11 am

You know what game I haven't played in awhile? Lands of Lore 2, that game was awesome. It was a first person RPG created by Westwood and it was the first RPG I have ever played, sadly my copy of the game broke long ago and I can't play it anymore :( Lands of Lore 1 was fun too but the 3rd game was inferior to the others. I wish another one was made but Westwood no longer exists thanks to EA, there was supposed to be 3 more games too. Maybe I can find a copy of the game somewhere online to buy, I really want to play :( Anyways, if you ever see this game at a store or somewhere online I suggest you buy it if you are a fan of RPGs and classics.

Oh yeah another thing I like about the series is that there is an easter egg in the 3rd game that connects the series to Command & Conquer (another Westwood franchise),
► Show Spoiler
Here is the wiki to the series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lands_of_lore

Anyone here play this game?

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » October 3rd, 2008, 12:04 am

I've been uploading youtube videos to show off games I recommend for a while now, although it's just starting to get somewhat organized...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oqCQ3zmS8 > Preview of Cloudphobia (high quality) *HQ always recommended > (high quality) *HQ + full screen probably needed to read the text *recommended > (high quality) <<[/url]

http://www.hanakogames.com/fatal.shtml << Official site
Last edited by X-Calibar on October 10th, 2008, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » October 10th, 2008, 5:48 am

No response to the free Cloudphobia game? Hmm... Lemme try again... how about this one?
"the white chamber"
http://www.studiotrophis.com/site/proje ... itechamber
► Show Spoiler
Free full game that's 360 MB large...
It's an adventure game. Not the Visual Novel type ADV game, but an actual Horror adventure game :O
It's a great late night moody horror :P
... Wonder if Saya has scenes like the ones in here..?

Pretty short game, but a variety of endings. (only gotten 3 so far lol)

abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by abscess » October 10th, 2008, 6:14 am

Hm! Gory stuff! you've got me interested! I'll check it out!.... when I have the time :P
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

suki-gin
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by suki-gin » October 10th, 2008, 6:48 am

Playing Mass Effect and Battlefield 2 at the moment, both fun games in their own right.
I definitely recommend it if you're into FPS and RPG games.

nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by nanaya_shinya » October 10th, 2008, 9:14 am

I'm playing Devil May Cry 3 : PC Edition
!すでのな

Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Henduluin » October 10th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Currently playing Disgaea DS and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (Dutch pride! <3) to kill time until Fable II, Fallout 3 and Rune Factory 2 are out~

nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by nanaya_shinya » October 10th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Currently playing Hizashi no naka no real ~complement
!すでのな

Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Henduluin » October 10th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Good ero-game is good~ Can't wait for mu-soft's newest game, although they haven't updated in ages so god knows when it's done.

(Hako should be out within one or two days too...)

nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by nanaya_shinya » October 10th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Well, Hizashi no Naka no Real (and the complement) are the only mu-soft games that I managed to get.

I have no idea when the other games are going to get released, because it's been a year since I last visited their website.
!すでのな

abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by abscess » October 11th, 2008, 12:52 am

Well... after playing The White Chamber I can say it's... an interesting take in adventure games. I did enjoy the atmosphere it produced, with gory bits and bloody stuff, annoying ambient sound at times (it was intended for it to be that way, I think) and multiple endings (as far as I know there are like 9 in all, and 2, I think, are the real endings [as for me I got around 3 endings and a real one]); but there also is some stuff that I really didn't like, the main character is kind of underdevelopped, when I'm supposed to feel something for what had just happened I was like "hmm... really...? 'kay" The bright-colors of the character really don't help much either, and the story... I could go on, but it would look more like I'm bitchin' about it, and that isn't my purpose. It's enjoyable, it's good, it has even got some movies here and there that look good, but if you have something better to do, you may want to do that first then go back to this game; it's pretty short so it isn't so time consuming either, which is a plus for those with not much time.

Also, for those who have got the Redemption ending, if there is someone else playing this game:
► Show Spoiler
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.