Funimation and Geneon make love; Got down last night

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Funimation and Geneon make love; Got down last night

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » July 4th, 2008, 12:56 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-r ... th-america

I want my fucking Black Lagoon box set now. Still, this is very good news. All that's left is for ADV to merge with em and everything will be happy.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Re: Funimation and Geneon make love; Got down last night

Unread postby Catastrophe » July 4th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:All that's left is for ADV to merge with em and everything will be happy.

monopolies always Always ALWAYS ALWAYS ruin things up
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Donvermicelli » July 4th, 2008, 5:21 pm

You do realise that if there is less competition companies are often less motivated to do the best they can since they will sell their stuff annyways. No matter how much they care about fans numbers are almost always first.
Donvermicelli
Addict

Unread postby abscess » July 4th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Supposing there is a monopoly, that would mean they would be able to sell the DVDs at any price they want. In a bad case scenario the DVDs would cost us the same price the japanese have to pay for them. In a worst case scenario we would be paying even more. Quality may drop too since there is no one else they would be competing against. In almost anyway you see it, is always a "lose" for us.

Also, it that were to happen, I'm damn sure piracy would rise. Maybe not much since anime (as far as I know) and such is one of the most pirated things on the net, but a rise is a rise.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » July 8th, 2008, 12:22 am

The anime market in the US is nowhere near large enough to take advantage of through monopoly. If they were to jack up prices, people would just stop buying the dvds and the already small market would get smaller or die. Plus, there are still a few other companies out there. ADV is going to die, oh so very soon. And even if they did join with Funi/Gen, it wouldn't mean shit since Bandai Visual still gets to prance around.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Return to General Chat