Real novels

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Superflonic » June 23rd, 2008, 5:10 pm

SPerson wrote:
Superflonic wrote:
AlinSabel wrote:...if you refuse to play Ever17, you are a fool.

If you buy one for me, sure I will play it :)

It's only like 20$, anyone can pay that much for a great game

Yeah, but the shipping probably doubles that price Excuses, excuses :P

Anyway, I really need to pick up another VN some time, since I have ran out of things to read.
Candlejack, I wonder what hap
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Serpentarius » June 24th, 2008, 12:45 am

Superflonic wrote:Anyway, I really need to pick up another VN some time, since I have ran out of things to read.
Have you considered buying an actual book? ;)
Serpentarius
Might just like this board

Unread postby DarkRedSky » June 24th, 2008, 12:48 am

Serpentarius wrote:
Superflonic wrote:Anyway, I really need to pick up another VN some time, since I have ran out of things to read.

Most books are boring. I think its because of the lack of pictures.

The only book I want is never in stock. I want the MGS novel.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Serpentarius » June 24th, 2008, 1:05 am

DarkRedSky wrote:
Serpentarius wrote:

Most books are boring. I think its because of the lack of pictures.

The only book I want is never in stock. I want the MGS novel.
A Song of Ice and Fire. You won't regret it.

Edit: That's the name of the series, by the way. The first book is called A Clash of Kings. (Correction: A Game of Thrones. Horrible, horrible mistake on my part. I blame the pain meds.)
Last edited by Serpentarius on June 26th, 2008, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serpentarius

Unread postby AlinSabel » June 24th, 2008, 4:12 am

The Terry Pratchett books are pretty lol too. :) If you're not sure that you can get into it, the council library most definitely has them.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 24th, 2008, 4:56 am

AlinSabel wrote:The Terry Pratchett books are pretty lol too. :)

Discworld FTW!
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Superflonic » June 24th, 2008, 7:48 am

Serpentarius wrote:A Song of Ice and Fire. You won't regret it.

Edit: That's the name of the series, by the way. The first book is called A Clash of Kings.

Sounds good, what is it about?
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Serpentarius » June 24th, 2008, 9:53 am

Superflonic wrote:Sounds good, what is it about?
It's set in a fictional world, mostly on the continent of Westeros. Late medieval period, with knights and steel and such. Westeros is commonly referred to as the Seven Kingdoms, but for the past three hundred years, since House Targaryen took over the continent with their dragons, it's all been united under one crown. The last dragons died fifty years ago, and House Targaryen lost power 15 years ago, when the Mad King, Aerys, managed to turn the lords of the North and East against him. Now Robert Baratheon holds the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, across the Narrow Sea, in the strange lands of the East, the last living descendents of House Targaryen flee the constant threat of assassination, and plot to take back the crown.

If I had to name a theme for the book, it would be one of courtly intrigue - but that doesn't get the whole point across, I think. There's politics, sure, but there's also lots of interesting characters, and it's those characters' acts, feelings, and motivations that you really get attached to. There's no clear good guy, and the real bad guys are too easily forgotten when two characters that you either love or hate are pitted against each other for one reason or another. The series really has everything you could want. Tense duels and massive battles. Delicious loli and scheming queens. Direwolves and dragons. Ice and Fire. ;)

I very, very strongly recommend it. Depending on how fast you read, you might get through a book or two before Heaven's Feel's translation is released, and ASoIaF is just the thing to fulfill that literary fix. "Epic" is the only way I can describe it. It sets a new standard for fantasy.
Serpentarius

Unread postby Superflonic » June 24th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Serpentarius wrote:Load of text.

Wow, that does sound good.

I have to go to my library some time soon, I hope they have the English version however, if it is translated. If not, I will just have to buy it :)
Also, is magic included? Sometimes it's a bit generic if magic is a prt of the story.
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby kerogoth » June 24th, 2008, 7:05 pm

I'm putting down a vote for an Archerko route. A character with so much potential should not be limited to doujinshi.

That, or a shirouko route. Speaking of which, does anyone know whether Heavens Failure has been translated beyond the first chapter?
kerogoth

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 24th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Superflonic wrote:Also, is magic included? Sometimes it's a bit generic if magic is a prt of the story.

Up to what I've read (in the middle of the second book), there is no explicit magic. There are a few supernatural events and some supernatural creatures, but it's generally more mysticism stuff than generic magic.
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Serpentarius » June 25th, 2008, 1:51 am

Superflonic wrote:
Serpentarius wrote:Load of text.

Wow, that does sound good.

I have to go to my library some time soon, I hope they have the English version however, if it is translated. If not, I will just have to buy it :)
Also, is magic included? Sometimes it's a bit generic if magic is a prt of the story.
I'm not sure what you mean by English version, but the original version is English. George R. R. Martin is the author, in case it helps.

Also, yes, magic is very rare. No characters use it on a regular basis, and most never see it at all. The story stands well enough without it, but when it does occur, it tends to be a big thing. It's a very good approach to magic, in my opinion.
Serpentarius

Unread postby abscess » June 25th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Man! You've got me interested in this series! I don't usually read fantasy but this seems different than the cheap fantasies I've met!
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Zensunni » June 25th, 2008, 7:19 pm

I recently finished reading the Hyperion cantos. I've read a bunch of scifi books, I think I liked these the most so I'll recommend them.
Best part about scifi, I think, are the really imaginative worlds created in them. And Hyperion is very deep and immersive.
Only blunder is that the writer is obsessed about a certain 18th century poet and it shows. If you can get over that it's a great story.

By the way, the reason I started reading it is that Hyperion is one of the books Yuki's reading in the SHnY anime. >_>
Zensunni
Addict

Unread postby Phlebas » June 25th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Did you read the Endymion trilogy as well?

For good modern sci-fi I'd also recommend the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks, namely the first 3 books: Consider Phlebas, Player of Games and Use of Weapons. They're very compelling AND entertaining ^^, and the universe he depicts is quite unique in a macabre fashion. I don't re-read novels very often but I must've read them half a dozen times.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » June 25th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Discworld is great
Also: Read everything by Robin Hobb, there's no better fantasy writer
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Phlebas » June 25th, 2008, 9:18 pm

That can be contested, but she's one of the best fantasy writers for sure. Just make sure to read the trilogies in order: Farseer, Liveship Traders, Tawny Man (Soldier Son trilogy isn't connected to previous ones).

Another contestant for the best fantasy writer is Stephen Donaldson with his (two) Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. They're deffo on the darkest side of fantasy you're gonna find but incredibly deep and imaginative, and the tragic and conflicted main character is simply captivating: a leper who rejects his role as a saviour and even the very existence of the land into which he is summoned.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby AddleBoy » June 26th, 2008, 3:30 pm

One of my favorite books is the Battle Royale novel, though it's not a fantasy novel.
Then you realize... That there is no loli. And it's not the loli you're molesting, it's yourself.
AddleBoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raitei » June 26th, 2008, 3:39 pm

classic titles never die. like adventure novel winnetou. :wink:
it's worth trying; even einstein read that :D
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby inferno_flamex » June 26th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Before VN.. I was interested in Mercedes Lackey's, Valdemar series... (funneh name.. huh? Lacking a merc.. LOL) Ehem... Anyway..

She does quite a number of books..
But the most that got me are the ones that features the country/city/realm of Valdemar... In particular, Exile's Honor/Exile's Valor...
Set in the times of kings and warlords... Knights and bards..

Main character in that 2 books, Alberiech, reminds me of Archer... Totally manly garness..
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to General Chat