Real novels

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby lolipedofin » June 26th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Nobody here like John Grisham's novel ??? I actually placed sympathy toward lawyers (unless he is the bad guy) after reading his novels... "The Firm" and "Pelican Brief" are among my favorites. His short novels like "The Bleachers" and "Skipping Christmas" is also fun to read...

Also love Agatha Christie's novels.

I think i'll give A Song of Ice and Fire a shot... sound like awesome to me, after reading your review... (sound-->read :?: :roll: ).

EDIT:

@Serpentarius: I just cheked Wiki, and it said that the first book was, "A Game of Thrones" not "A Clash of Kings".

Which one is the first book??
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Serpentarius » June 26th, 2008, 8:31 pm

lolipedofin wrote:@Serpentarius: I just cheked Wiki, and it said that the first book was, "A Game of Thrones" not "A Clash of Kings".

Which one is the first book??
:shock: My bad, complete brainfart, the Wiki is right. I will edit my previous post to hopefully avoid any further confusion.
Serpentarius
Might just like this board

Unread postby Maes » June 27th, 2008, 10:12 am

I'm quite fond of novels set in the Forgotten Realms D&D setting. R.A. Salvatore's various works, Elain Cunningham's Counselors & Kings trilogy(which is sadly out of print now apparently), and Troy Denning's Return of the Archwizards trilogy being some of my favorites.

Switching to another setting, Gene Wolfe's four-volume Book of the New Sun is amazing, just an all-around superb work.

And switching to some Sci-Fi, John Scalzi's Old Man's War is awesome. Haven't had a chance to read the two sequal books(The Ghost Brigades and The Last Colony) to it, but I've heard that the first is the best of the three.
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Balcerzak » June 27th, 2008, 12:09 pm

This post is lifted largely unchanged from a similar thread on a different board, where someone was taking recommendations for good fiction reading material.

The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman (or pretty much anything else by her); Wizard's First Rule (and the rest of The Sword of Truth series) by Terry Goodkind; American Gods, Stardust, and Neverwhere all by Neil Gaiman; Fevre Dream by G.R.R. Martin; "In the Penal Colony" by Franz Kafka (it's short, and awesome); Frankenstein by Mary Shelley; Dracula by Bram Stoker; The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand; anything by Edgar Allan Poe (but in particular "The Black Cat", "The Fall of the House of Usher", and "The Cask of Amontillado"); Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (also check out his short fiction, I enjoyed "A Plague of Butterflies"); The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper; 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King; and The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson.

Also, His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, and The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 27th, 2008, 12:45 pm

I've heard that Ayn Rand's books aren't actually that good; however, it may simply be the philosophies she writes about and not her writing style that the critic was commenting on.
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Balcerzak » June 27th, 2008, 3:39 pm

Cat Megex wrote:I've heard that Ayn Rand's books aren't actually that good; however, it may simply be the philosophies she writes about and not her writing style that the critic was commenting on.

It's kind of a grab bag. She definitely has her flaws, and will sometimes have a character monologuing her philosophy for the better part of a chapter, which will definitely get stale, especially if you're not into the philosophy. However, I remember that happening more in Atlas Shrugged than The Fountainhead, personally, and I don't think it happened at all in Anthem.

That said, it's been years since I read the books, and I was very into the philosophy aspect of it, as it was (to me) novel, new, and sort of uplifting. Your mileage may vary, as from what I gather, it's pretty much love it or hate it, with Rand.
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby lolipedofin » June 27th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Fountainhead?? I got the book but never get the chance to actually read it... I'm more curious about Atlas Shrugged... wasn't that her most famous book?? It's kinda hard to find for me... nobody sells them at Indonesia, and when i went to singapore i found an Atlas Shrugged novel sized like pocket novel, and the letters were smaller than bible scripture... Now, how am i gonna read that ?!

I'm currently looking for "Lolita", been curious about what's in it... a publisher recently published the novel in Indonesian, but i'm looking for the one in English...
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby AddleBoy » June 27th, 2008, 7:32 pm

lolipedofin wrote:I'm currently looking for "Lolita", been curious about what's in it... a publisher recently published the novel in Indonesian, but i'm looking for the one in English...

I've started reading Lolita recently (a couple of weeks ago, in fact). I haven't finished it yet, though.
Then you realize... That there is no loli. And it's not the loli you're molesting, it's yourself.
AddleBoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Serpentarius » June 27th, 2008, 11:26 pm

Balcerzak wrote:It's kind of a grab bag. She definitely has her flaws, and will sometimes have a character monologuing her philosophy for the better part of a chapter, which will definitely get stale, especially if you're not into the philosophy. However, I remember that happening more in Atlas Shrugged than The Fountainhead, personally, and I don't think it happened at all in Anthem.

That said, it's been years since I read the books, and I was very into the philosophy aspect of it, as it was (to me) novel, new, and sort of uplifting. Your mileage may vary, as from what I gather, it's pretty much love it or hate it, with Rand.
Terry Goodkind has a similar issue, I think, especially in his later novels. It doesn't bother me much, since his philosophy (which is quite similar to Ayn Rand's) is fairly close to my own, but I get the feeling that more Leftist readers would find it intollerable.
Serpentarius

Unread postby nobaka » June 28th, 2008, 4:18 am

Go for Dan Simmons. He's the author of the Hyperion/Endymion books. Ilium is glorious, and I'm about to get to read Olympos, finally.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is also quite good, although a massive undertaking.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Miraploy » July 1st, 2008, 7:34 pm

lolipedofin, if you want lolita, i can send you my copy.

My personal favorite novels are:

Great Expectations, the red and the black, wuthering heights, war and peace, and an assorted collection of comtemporary works that no one has ever heard of. :wink:

Fountainhead is ok, but you're better off reading the wiki-page on objectivism.

Unfortunately the majority of fantasy works are not much better than the average anime. :? The novel is a much more developed form than fantasy, but there are a lot of magical realism works that are really good as well. This comment is mostly a response to the suggestions of Ender's Game, Dracula, Song of Fire and Ice etc. They may be to some extent iconic works, but imo they're not very good.

Lolita though, is very good.

Here are some other misc books that I liked (some of them are quite sexy or at least obscene)

I, Claudius
ulysses (overrated imo, but still good)
Tender Is The Night, By F Scott Fitzgerald

*I thought I had a longer list, but oh well these will do for now.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby AddleBoy » July 1st, 2008, 11:39 pm

Currently, I'm quite fond of Chuck Palahniuk's stories. I've already read Lullaby, and I'm getting close to the end of Fight Club, and I'm going to read Rant after that. I really like his writing style.
Then you realize... That there is no loli. And it's not the loli you're molesting, it's yourself.
AddleBoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » July 4th, 2008, 12:58 am

Sword of Truth series was decent. Wheel of Time was good. A Song of Ice and Fire is also good.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Serpentarius » August 18th, 2008, 9:43 am

So, anyone get around to reading A Song of Ice and Fire yet?
Serpentarius

Unread postby WingZero » August 19th, 2008, 9:59 pm

I second Wheel of Time.

Shame Robert Jordan died before he could finish the final book.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Catastrophe » August 20th, 2008, 12:18 am

The caves of steel, by Asimov. Nice sci-fi.
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby that one guy » August 20th, 2008, 1:34 am

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is also quite good, although a massive undertaking.

I wouldn't say it's that massive an undertaking. I'm reading it for the fourth time now, and it really doesn't take that long to read if you understand the basic concept. The only hard parts involved are remembering the names of people, because there are hundreds of characters that only appear once, and remembering how things are divided up. I can't count the number of times I forget that Xuande is from the North. Really though, awesome book. The one I have is split in two, each around 500 pages, and translated by Moss Roberts. I've seen another one that was translated, a fairly long time ago, and it doesn't compare. So yeah, get the Green and Blue Three Kingdoms books that have Moss Roberts name on there.

Side Note: Liu Bei is a swindler, Guan Yu is an ass, Ma Chao is worthless, and Zhuge Liang is a usurper who takes credit for things he couldn't do alone.
that one guy
Crack Desu!

Previous

Return to General Chat