How do I play "normal sized screen" games on a wid

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

How do I play "normal sized screen" games on a wid

Unread postby abscess » June 22nd, 2008, 11:52 pm

Well, pretty much what the title of this topic says. In a bit more "wordy" way: I've been wanting to play FF7 and FF8 on my PC for quite a while now, but since I have a widescreen, the image gets stretched and looks horrid (I have only tried it with FF7 though). Is there a way to play not only those two titles, but all those old titles that don't have support for widescreen monitors without the image getting stretched and NOT having to play them in a window?
Thanks.

Edit: Dammit... topic title gets cropped all the time. Well, the title was going to be this one: "How do I play "normal sized screen" games on a widescreen?".
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Re: How do I play "normal sized screen" games on a

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 23rd, 2008, 12:06 am

abscess wrote:Well, pretty much what the title of this topic says. In a bit more "wordy" way: I've been wanting to play FF7 and FF8 on my PC for quite a while now, but since I have a widescreen, the image gets stretched and looks horrid (I have only tried it with FF7 though). Is there a way to play not only those two titles, but all those old titles that don't have support for widescreen monitors without the image getting stretched and NOT having to play them in a window?
Thanks.

Edit: Dammit... topic title gets cropped all the time. Well, the title was going to be this one: "How do I play "normal sized screen" games on a widescreen?".

If you have an nVidia graphics card, it probably should have a "scaling" section in the nVidia control panel. One of the options will be "scale with fixed aspect ratio", which will be the one you want. Unfortunately, depending on what OS you're running (in my case, Vista), and also on which version of the card's driver you're using, that option may not work (in my case, it only worked with one version from a while back).

Note: what I mean by "not work" is that you can select the option (it has a radio/option button; y'know, like a round checkbox) and click "Apply", and it will appear to work, but if you close the control panel and reopen it, the option will be back to the original setting. In fact, if you keep the control panel open, but try to run a full-screen game that would be affected by the scaling, and then look at the control panel again, you'll see that it switched back.

I don't know if ATI cards have the ability to scale with a fixed aspect ratio (I'm assuming they do).
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » June 23rd, 2008, 1:15 am

I have an nVidia 8400GS but I don't see anything like a "scaling" tab or something in the control panel. My OS is XP SP2 and the drivers file name is 169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_international_whql which I downloaded about 3 months ago. From what I gather from the System Info section, the driver's name is ForceWare, the version is 169.21 with memory of 512 MB. But I don't see anything like "scaling" or something...
This is a snapshot of the control panel. Maybe it will be of use for something.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 23rd, 2008, 2:05 am

...Ah, I see. You have a CRT, then? I didn't know that there were widescreen CRTs available.

Anyway, I don't know if you can do the scaling with a CRT. There might be something on "Move CRT screen position", but that might not help.
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » June 23rd, 2008, 2:09 am

Haah...?
What's a CRT???
abscess

Unread postby Atriel » June 23rd, 2008, 2:33 am

These are the advantages of having a system that is more than 5 years old. I'm playing FF8 right now.

:roll:
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 23rd, 2008, 2:39 am

abscess wrote:Haah...?
What's a CRT???

A cathode ray tube; basically, it's what came before flat-panel monitors (i.e. LCDs).
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » June 23rd, 2008, 2:40 am

abscess wrote:Haah...?
What's a CRT???

Cathode Ray Tube.

Basically, those old school TVs / monitors that are about 8478916986 times thicker in size than the new LCD "slim" screens.

And I didn't know CRT widescreens existed either. How did you come to that conclusion Cat?

*edit* (orz. beat to it.)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 23rd, 2008, 2:46 am

WingZero wrote:And I didn't know CRT widescreens existed either. How did you come to that conclusion Cat?

On the image abscess posted, one of the items in the list on the left is "Move CRT screen position". I'm pretty sure an LCD wouldn't have that.
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » June 23rd, 2008, 2:51 am

Hm, you're right, now that I look at the SS closely.

However, my friend has a 22" LCD monitor and his NVIDIA control panel has that option too, so I wouldn't draw any concrete conclusions from that.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 23rd, 2008, 3:05 am

WingZero wrote:Hm, you're right, now that I look at the SS closely.

However, my friend has a 22" LCD monitor and his NVIDIA control panel has that option too, so I wouldn't draw any concrete conclusions from that.

It also lacks the "Change flat panel scaling" option.
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » June 23rd, 2008, 3:09 am

Hm, you're right.

Damn. I just checked, my Nvidia control panel doesn't have that either. (New monitor, so haven't really tested it with old games or anime yet)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 23rd, 2008, 3:17 am

Hm...then it may be that the Vista problem is different from the XP problem, with the XP problem being that flat panel scaling isn't even visible.
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » June 23rd, 2008, 3:34 am

Well... that sure is weird... This is a link to a shop that sells the same monitor I have and in the overview tab the monitor type is said to be LCD Monitor. Pretty weird....
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:HP%20Compaq ... 1994747497

Cat Megex wrote:Hm...then it may be that the Vista problem is different from the XP problem, with the XP problem being that flat panel scaling isn't even visible.

Yes, that may be the reason, but, if I remember correctly, this graphics card uses the same drivers in XP and Vista.

Anyway. I still am in the same situation. Could someone help, please?

Atriel wrote:These are the advantages of having a system that is more than 5 years old. I'm playing FF8 right now.

:roll:

Thanks for rubbin' it, man :cry:
abscess

Unread postby WingZero » June 23rd, 2008, 3:57 am

One thing though, I'm on Vista(ids) too.

In this case, my only hypothesis is that when the computer was first set up, if you have anything like HP, it would've asked if you are "casual user" or "advanced user". For "casual users", some of the settings, etc. in the control panel are "dumbed down", or as they call it, "simplified" (both of which are euphemistic for many settings being taken out of view so you don't accidentally screw something up)

(I'm still looking for a way to reverse this -_-)

And I actually agree with Atriel =p Just got new computer today, and plan on keeping the old one (2001, Pent.3 @ 933 MHz and 386mb ram) functional for stuff like this (especially since I foresee many VN compatibility issues in the future).
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 23rd, 2008, 4:06 am

Okay then, it's HP's fault that flat-panel scaling isn't showing up, I guess?

*That + HP bloatware are the main reasons I'm planning on doing a clean install of Vista once I get the tablet PC that I ordered...twelve days ago...and that was supposed to ship on Friday but that I still haven't received any info on...but ya*
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby idontknoW » June 23rd, 2008, 4:53 am

just for those people with intel (lol integrated chip) cards, just press CTRL+ALT+F11.
NVIDIA has a scaling function there somewhere, just look for it.
what this thread says seems otherwise...
how about display properties? (or whatever you call it in vista. it's got to be there.)
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » June 23rd, 2008, 5:36 am

WingZero wrote:One thing though, I'm on Vista(ids) too.

In this case, my only hypothesis is that when the computer was first set up, if you have anything like HP, it would've asked if you are "casual user" or "advanced user". For "casual users", some of the settings, etc. in the control panel are "dumbed down", or as they call it, "simplified" (both of which are euphemistic for many settings being taken out of view so you don't accidentally screw something up)

(I'm still looking for a way to reverse this -_-)

And I actually agree with Atriel =p Just got new computer today, and plan on keeping the old one (2001, Pent.3 @ 933 MHz and 386mb ram) functional for stuff like this (especially since I foresee many VN compatibility issues in the future).

Um, yes, I actually have an HP PC. It's model, or whatever it's called, is Pavilion Elite m9040n, but since I did a downgrade from Vista to XP (I still have the Vista install discs.... somewhere... I hope) I think it didn't ask me anything of that sort. Did I just screw myself in this case??
abscess

Unread postby Message » June 23rd, 2008, 6:29 am

idontknoW wrote:NVIDIA has a scaling function there somewhere, just look for it.
what this thread says seems otherwise...

You need to enable 'treat as HDTV' first, under Manage custom resolutions. This question has been answered several times before.

Unread postby -[J1N]- » June 23rd, 2008, 6:55 am

I have a problem which is similar yet not.

The picture in the F/SN seems to have a nice picture when I play it in windowed mode, but when I turn it to full screen, the images and text seem a bit 'off', like not scaled properly. I didn't experience this the first time i played, but after i formatted the comp, it happened.

Also, does anyone know a solution to this other problem: I'm playing KT in windowed screen, but when I size it to full, there's a message in the middle of the screen that says 'Input signal out of range. Please select 1280 x 1024 75Hz for best performance'. My settings appear to be right, if not better than that. Does anyone know what's wrong with it, or where exactly I can check to see, just in case I'm looking at the wrong place.

Sorry if it's sort of off topic.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to General Chat