Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

User avatar
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
Posts: 1939
Joined: April 25th, 2008, 10:08 am
Location: Parmistan lol

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by abscess » August 31st, 2009, 5:37 am

X-Calibar wrote:
abscess wrote:Policenauts
Oh yeah, I've been waiting for that one >D I bought it a couple years ago antcipating this day..!!!!!
But, I better play through Snatcher first .. lol
You don't really have to go through Snatcher to be able to understand the story in Policenauts. They are different games and, from what I know, different narrated universes (except for a few nods here and there).

As for that poll.... Although I hate Ever 17's true ending, the ride was really something, so I'll go for Never7 in hopes it's ending is good.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

User avatar
DarkEyes
Crack Desu!
Posts: 353
Joined: July 21st, 2007, 8:35 am
Location: ...the hill of swords

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by DarkEyes » August 31st, 2009, 6:04 pm

Id rly like to c never7 too.
Also, I agree that ever17s true end was too much.. I mean the vn didnt need it in my opinion and neither was the whole Coco route, the damn thing would be more win without it.. In my mind the true end will always be Tsugumis ending ^_^
Btw is it weird that I rly liked Tsugumis/Soras bad end?

User avatar
Maes
DESU DESU!
Posts: 524
Joined: August 13th, 2007, 8:37 am
Location: Somewhere out there

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Maes » August 31st, 2009, 6:53 pm

DarkEyes wrote:Btw is it weird that I rly liked Tsugumis/Soras bad end?
No, it was quite touching I think... at least if I remember it correctly.
その目だれの目?

User avatar
solopy567
DESU DESU!
Posts: 516
Joined: November 24th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by solopy567 » August 31st, 2009, 7:03 pm

DarkEyes wrote:Id rly like to c never7 too.
Also, I agree that ever17s true end was too much.. I mean the vn didnt need it in my opinion and neither was the whole Coco route, the damn thing would be more win without it.. In my mind the true end will always be Tsugumis ending ^_^
Btw is it weird that I rly liked Tsugumis/Soras bad end?

The Coco route was necessary to explain who Sara is if you played the Kid's route first, and also to show a connection between Takeshi's route and the Kid's route. If they just stopped it after Tsugumi's true end, you would hear bad reviews about it.
"Sion Eltnam is no more.
All there is left is a dead apostle who has inherited the name of TATARI.
Now.....Let's begin the Bloody Second Act." - Sion TATARI

User avatar
DarkEyes
Crack Desu!
Posts: 353
Joined: July 21st, 2007, 8:35 am
Location: ...the hill of swords

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by DarkEyes » August 31st, 2009, 8:13 pm

Yeah, but...
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Maes
DESU DESU!
Posts: 524
Joined: August 13th, 2007, 8:37 am
Location: Somewhere out there

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Maes » August 31st, 2009, 9:21 pm

Regardless, even if some people didn't like the final route, it's still very good as a whole. Also, careful with any spoilers ;)
その目だれの目?

User avatar
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
Posts: 1939
Joined: April 25th, 2008, 10:08 am
Location: Parmistan lol

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by abscess » September 1st, 2009, 2:44 am

DarkEyes wrote:Yeah, but...
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!
Posts: 1030
Joined: October 21st, 2007, 3:49 am

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Atriel » September 1st, 2009, 3:28 am

^THIS.
► Show Spoiler
If you disagree, you are wrong.

Shikiller
Crack Desu!
Posts: 288
Joined: April 13th, 2007, 1:58 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Shikiller » September 1st, 2009, 4:18 am

The Amaterasu poll was won by - Sekien no Inganock -What a Beautiful People- , so we will be translating that. I voted for Swang Song myself.

and come on, critizing ever 17 so much for pulling shit and granting happy endings is somewhat odd, It's not surprising for sci fi or fantasy, FSN do the same for example.

User avatar
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
Posts: 1939
Joined: April 25th, 2008, 10:08 am
Location: Parmistan lol

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by abscess » September 1st, 2009, 8:17 am

Shikiller wrote:The Amaterasu poll was won by - Sekien no Inganock -What a Beautiful People- , so we will be translating that. I voted for Swang Song myself.
Oh well, at least it's got a cool opening. Probably indicates a cool game. Got a question though, will you leave the engrish on the title or will you change it to something a little less odd like "What Beautiful People" or something like that?
Shikiller wrote:and come on, critizing ever 17 so much for pulling shit and granting happy endings is somewhat odd, It's not surprising for sci fi or fantasy, FSN do the same for example.
Oh.... Oh, you didn't just say that, did you?
Shikiller wrote:FSN do the same for example.
► Show Spoiler
Anyway, good luck with your project.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

User avatar
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!
Posts: 305
Joined: April 20th, 2007, 5:27 am

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by X-Calibar » September 2nd, 2009, 4:07 am

abscess wrote:
Shikiller wrote:The Amaterasu poll was won by - Sekien no Inganock -What a Beautiful People- , so we will be translating that. I voted for Swang Song myself.
Oh well, at least it's got a cool opening. Probably indicates a cool game. Got a question though, will you leave the engrish on the title or will you change it to something a little less odd like "What Beautiful People" or something like that?
What a beautiful people, isn't engrish.. English is weird, either phrase should be fine in this instance though.
Adding What a beautiful people, places more emphasis however; or adds more formality than say, What beautiful people (which sounds more vernacular/you might hear in conversation or maybe colloquial/informal... )
I'd definitely stick with "What a beautiful people"... it fits the atmosphere better...

Now one of the upcoming Liar-Soft games is titled... Hikari no Valcia ~What a beautiful hopes~
That's engrish lol (should be what a beautiful hope or what beautiful hopes/hope)

I'm hyped about the chosen game though...! I didn't know anything about the game previously to the final poll, but I instantly fell for it from the choices presented. The opening was perfect to catch my attention, and I liked what I read about it. It sounds like one of the shorter visual novels, but it should be full of interesting language, sights and story. Haven't checked out the voice actors yet.

It actually reminded me of Speed Grapher, which I personally liked a lot, (despite having a pretty limited amount of animation (budget?)). Also reminds me of Odin Sphere, Princess Tutu, Rosen Maiden... Won't know if it's really good or not until it's translated though!
But, Ixrec said he had already been playing it/just played it, and enjoyed it so the choice was too perfect. (So it sounds like it'll be good!)

Just for fun here's the Opening again if you missed it, and the opening for the next game that takes place in the same setting... Both are very good openings I think...

HeroMan999
Totally hardly posted
Posts: 9
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 3:21 pm

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by HeroMan999 » October 3rd, 2009, 8:50 pm

It has been awhile since I posted, but I want to thank everyone who helped me decide on what visual novel to play next. After hearing many people say that Ever17 was good, I gave it a try and I liked it. My main fear from what I heard was that it was a tragic game, but fortunately it wasn't that tragic. Actually, it has the only tragic scenes in a visual novel that I actually (kinda) liked. The Coco path was crazy though.
I've also started to play Phantom of Inferno. It has a annoying password save system, but the fact that I could get it new on an American website for $3 makes up for it. Well, until I reach a point where I want to try 3 or 4 different paths. Being only able to save every 20-30 minutes or so and only having a really slow fast forward option gets annoying in that kind of situation. Still, the story is good. I like how it is separated into 3 chapters and each chapter takes place in a different situation. Makes the game feel like it is 3 games in 1. Unfortunately, it also feels like the game tried to combine multiple paths into one story.

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!
Posts: 1030
Joined: October 21st, 2007, 3:49 am

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Atriel » November 1st, 2009, 6:50 pm

So... I'm going through Discipline. Trying to, at least. Some spoilers, nothing important though. I UN-recommend it anyway, so if you want to know what this is about you might as well check this.
► Show Spoiler
I don't know if I will ever finish this.
If you disagree, you are wrong.

User avatar
Arayashiki
Might just like this board
Posts: 45
Joined: April 3rd, 2009, 11:49 am
Location: Kangaroo Land

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Arayashiki » November 16th, 2009, 9:14 am

Heya everyone, I thought I'd make use of this thread and ask for a couple of VN recommendations
I personally haven't read through a whole lot of them, and I don't want to read through something that isn't of a high quality.
I'm not even sure what I am even looking for. I can however tell you what I have read, and the reasons why I enjoyed them:
Tsukihime - It's hard to actually nail down a primary reason for why I enjoyed it so much. All I know is that by the end of the routes I was somewhat deeply invested in (most of) the characters and the setting was a somewhat original take on the vampire genre
-emotional investment and interesting story/characters

F/SN, personally didn't enjoy it as much as I did Tsukihime, (Don't get me wrong I still thoroughly enjoyed it but I found I enjoyed Tsukihime more) I did however love one particular character, Rin - specifically speaking in the true end for the UBW where it emphasises that she is smart but always clams up when it matters the most...or something
That subtly is what I really enjoyed

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni (technically a sound novel) - While the characters weren't all that fleshed out during the first Episode, the mystery and suspense had me utterly enthralled. The later arcs where the almost 'dual story' started developing (the Anti-mystery vs the Anti-fantasy) I loved the fantasy side of things, and really enjoyed trying to solve things from the mystery side ( I was always posing my own questions, trying to 'enhance Battler's theories, poking at the loopholes generated by the red text...all the twisted logic involving the 'Devil's Proof, Hamphel's Raven and etc - really made me think.

What I'm looking for in a visual novel is quality, something that is worth my time that I take to read it. In saying that, It doesn't need to be totally original or anything, just the characters/plot/setting memorable enough to really draw the reader in and form an emotional attachment to it.
I'm not sure what genre or setting I like best, so if you could post the titles of quality VN with a one or two sentence summary of why you deem it worth reading through, I can do the rest

Thanks!
(I'm not fussy if it's freeware or a commercial product, nor do I mind if it's an eroge)

User avatar
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!
Posts: 259
Joined: January 4th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Mazyrian » November 16th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Saya no Uta: very good and concise plot
Chaos;Head: also very good plot, though has a couple faults as a game
Cross+Channel: interesting characters and their relationships
Ever17: good romantic plots, and a very interesting final route
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."

User avatar
Raven
Crack Desu!
Posts: 427
Joined: June 16th, 2007, 12:29 am

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Raven » November 17th, 2009, 8:35 pm

I'm reading Sharin no Kuni right now, and it's suprisingly good. It's rare to see a serious main character in this kind of series. Long too. 12 hours and I just pass the first character arc, and from what I know there are 4 to go through. The translation quality is also top notch so far.

Also reading a few pages back I see people talking about Family Project, kinda late to the party but I offer the review I posted on another forum. Spoiler Free:

So ... I finished the long awaited Family Project-Kazoku Keikaku. I became aware of this tittle pretty early in the development so the wait had lasted for almost two years. I pulled almost 3 straight all nighters to about 4am each night to read it. It's ... not really what I expected, at the same time though I kinda see why it has such a status of one of best VN ever written. From the description, and from what I interpret from the community I thought to the last moment that it would be a light-heart novel, maybe well written with multiple scenario.


It's actually pretty heavy writing. No, it's not dark, and it's not a mind twisting. In short, it's not psychology twister like Evageleon, Harushi, Elfen Lied or Chaos;Head. Those for the most part are superficial with twisted and turn on purpose, an illogical procedure to play with the mind so to speak. Family Project's mood simply comes from the fact that it pushed life down to the lowest common denominator and look up from the bottom. I have a habit compare/refer things to anime in my post. This VN though, is for the first time I can not really compare to any other VN or anime that I can remember. In fact, I feel it's closer to a western writting. I don't say it's the same, but it remind me a lot of Hemingway's The Sun also Rise and Miller's Death of a Saleman. I'm not saying the Characters, story, scenario are the same, it's just a similar line of narrative.

For the most part, all the usual anime esque is still there and it is still anime style at the core. However this is not a story of a bunch of teenage who can't understand their hormon, or a "I have always love you since we're kid", or "you're such a nice guy we love you" kind of thing. And it's to be understand Miracle doesn't happen simply because you do your best, or everything can be resolved because the main character finally get his head straight and make a cheesy passionated speech at the climax of the drama (which is quite frankly, is what 90% of drama in anime is).

I remember when I was still in highschool and took literature. I was still a fresh asian immigrant back then as my upbringing result me being a very conservative person. One morning I put the book The sun also Rise (which was our reading assignment) down in front of the teacher and told him that I was not comfortable reading it, in fact I told him it's not healthy to have such book read by highschool students. I have become a bit more liberal over the years. Thing is when I read Family Project some of the old feeling re-surface. These characters, they have principal and moral ... as much as their environment can afford them, there is no absolute boundary or an idealistic vision, in fact when such topic is brought up the VN describe it as mere illusion. A normal person will certainly have some unconfortability reading a few choke points in the story, like I said it's life in the lowest denominator.

At the same time though, it can still somewhat light-heart and warm, just like the name Family Project suggested. I'm used to wonder why such a famous tittle didn't receive an anime adoption, now I realize maybe because it doesn't fit into an anime. In fact, the story is what you would expect from an Asian soap opera or a Korean drama show. In conclusion, Family Project is not what I expected when I pick it up, but it's one of the most unique read I ever had in the line of anime.

User avatar
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!
Posts: 305
Joined: April 20th, 2007, 5:27 am

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by X-Calibar » November 18th, 2009, 4:09 am

HEYYYYYYY!!

Voting starts tomorrow!!
"Official statement: Preliminary polls will begin at 6:00 PM US Pacific Time on Wednesday November 18th (ie, tomorrow) and last for exactly 24 hours."

You have to register on the forums to vote tomorrow ...
http://amaterasu.is.moelicious.be/forums/index.php

Then go here :
http://amaterasu.is.moelicious.be/poll/

My recommendations for your 3 votes after muchhhhhh decision...
Yes! You get 3 games to choose, even though only 1 will win.
► Show Spoiler
Also I might note that Omega no Shikai -Shiki no Hajimari / Mikaifuu no Hakoniha-...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlrr53LfPMs
homepage
Genre: Mystery
Pros: held as successor of Tsukihime; have a cult following in doujinshi similar to Umineko and Himawari; music by onoken and Manack; seems to be up for LoSs' standard; language is ridiculously difficult; cats
Cons: non-h doujinshi; almost completely unknown by both mainstream Japan and English VN readers
Image

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!
Posts: 1030
Joined: October 21st, 2007, 3:49 am

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Atriel » November 18th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Daaaaaaamn!! I just DO WANT about 3 of those you posted X-Calibar.
I'll go check it out so I may vote... One of those reminded me of Tony Taka's art (I think that was his name...)

Thanks for the info!
If you disagree, you are wrong.

User avatar
Maes
DESU DESU!
Posts: 524
Joined: August 13th, 2007, 8:37 am
Location: Somewhere out there

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Maes » November 18th, 2009, 11:52 pm

Atriel wrote:One of those reminded me of Tony Taka's art (I think that was his name...)
That's because it is his art. He was the character designer for France Shoujo -Une fille Blanche-
その目だれの目?

User avatar
Raven
Crack Desu!
Posts: 427
Joined: June 16th, 2007, 12:29 am

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Raven » November 19th, 2009, 12:07 am

Tony Taka did a lot of work, although none is translated AKAIK. I went with that choice since I really want to see how his art play out in a VN. Up to date the only first hand experience I have with his character is the RPG Shining Tears on the PS2. -_-

Post Reply