Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

HeroMan999
Totally hardly posted

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by HeroMan999 » July 2nd, 2009, 4:15 am

I've been looking for a good visual novel to play and I would like to ask you guys for some advice.

1. I'm wondering if someone not that much into romance could like Hourglass of Summer. The time travel part interests me.

2. Truthfully, I'm having trouble finding good visual novels. Now I know most of you guys are thinking "just look at this really long thread", but I have read most of this thread and searched a lot online and found a problem.
Most visual novels are tragedies, romance stories and/or have hentai in them. I like mysteries, action, comedy--pretty much anything that isn't a tragedy (like a story about people dieing in a hospital), a romance story, a horror story that is as scary as Higurashi, a story with R-rated hentai in it. Now I have no problem with romance or tragedy in a story--I just don't want that to be the focus of the story.

So far the good visual novels I have played are: Fate Stay Night, Tsuikihime and Chaos Head.

Interesting visual novels I have found are: Phantom of Inferno and Hourglass of Summer. (And I think HOS is just a romance story.) Ever 17 sounded interesting until people started talking about getting really depressed over the good endings. Now I’m weary of it.

Have I listed all the good action, comedy, or mystery visual novels w/o hentai? Does anyone know of any good patches to remove hentai in certain good visual novels? It was finding a patch for FSN that allowed me to enjoy it.

Thanks for your time. I would really appreciate any help.

Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Maes » July 2nd, 2009, 11:14 am

HeroMan999 wrote:Ever 17 sounded interesting until people started talking about getting really depressed over the good endings. Now I’m weary of it.
Read it anyway, it's just that great.

Your mentioning that you're not that much into romance kinda kills my other suggestions though.
その目だれの目?

Unread post by Message » July 2nd, 2009, 11:31 am

I have to entirely disagree with abscess about his review of Divi-Dead. While it's true that the story is the backbone of the game, abscess forgets to explain why that is. In my opinion, Divi-Dead is all about atmosphere. The story won't make much sense to anyone who isn't drunk, but the game is very successful at making you feel the same eerie wtf-ness that the (poorly developed) characters in the story feel, and that's the real value of the game. The graphics and music turn the game into a virtual ghost house, and the voice acting, while ancient and low-bitrate, actually adds up to the immersion into the story (which can't be said for every game in this genre!).

abscess made the game sound like your run-off-the-mill "Anemic young guy goes to a private school and stuff happens", while this story is so fubar'ed that such a view scarcely does it justice. I'm not saying that Divi-Dead is better than your run-off-the-mill meat product, but I am saying that it's different.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

@HeroMan999: If you don't want romance, tragedy, horror OR adult content, there really isn't much left as far as visual novels go... Just like with regular novels, a VN needs to have a story. And a good story requires emotions. What emotions would be stronger than love, pain or fear?

Anyway, Hourglass of Summer really is just a romance. The time traveling is only used as an excuse for a romantic story, it's not an integral part of the events. So you probably wouldn't enjoy it too much. You might try reading The Noose, its first half is horror (insofar that it's extremely scary), but its second half plays more in an atmosphere of mystery such as in Tsukihime. It's roughly one or two hours worth of reading/listening (visual sound novel).

Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » July 2nd, 2009, 2:56 pm

I only asked that since once I played Tsukihime I kind of wondered if it was something like DiviDead. I mean I've heard of the game, but I never had a chance to find and play it. not only that, but the idea was kind of brought up with one of the Guest Illustartions in Kagtsu Tohya that made me question that.

Aside from that I kind of wonder about that Pretty Soldger Wars game is like though. I mean it looks like what would happen if SRW was smacked around with your standard H-like monsters.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Atriel » July 2nd, 2009, 6:13 pm

Oh... The Noose eh? Seems interesting.

Also HeroMan999, you could check something a bit more simple. I talked a bit about it before but you can try Castle Fantasia 2, you will get some laughs from the characters. It is mostly comedy; sure it has its share of dead people and what not (it is a war centered VN) but the feel you get from it is nothing close to tragedy or the like. It is nothing special but it can keep you entertained. I do have to say I didn't finish all the routes. And there's hentai. I can't assure you will like it but it is a light read if you want to check it out.

Also, if you ever feel like reading something a bit disturbing, go read Saya No Uta. Not that you asked but it crossed my mind. <_<
If you disagree, you are wrong.

abscess

Unread post by abscess » July 3rd, 2009, 12:34 am

@Message
Well, it's from a review that wasn't really finished, but yeah, it lacks explanation in some major stuff.

@HeroMan999
You may want to check Utawarerumono. It's a war/fantasy story with sci fi tints and some H slipped in.
Message wrote:The Noose
http://vndb.org/v40 wrote:Description:
My older sister killed me.
My younger sister hung me.
I killed my older sister.

This was... everything her dead brother wrote in his diary.
He'd said he'd be right back, but he never returned.
Shortly after, they found his bloody hat.
Sweet! :)
Also, it's transated.... sadly it's been taken down and being retranslated.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Mazyrian » July 3rd, 2009, 1:07 am

Kid-Wolf wrote:Aside from that I kind of wonder about that Pretty Soldger Wars game is like though. I mean it looks like what would happen if SRW was smacked around with your standard H-like monsters.
It does have battles like SRW (well, I guess, haven't played that,only BMW), but the story in almost nonexistant and the battles are the most annoying thing ever made.

HeroMan999: i agree with the recommendation of Ever17; only some endings are sad, and while romance is important is not nearly the focus.
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."

solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread post by solopy567 » July 3rd, 2009, 1:43 am

Pretty Soldier Wars was a disgrace to H-RPG. the battles are stupid, long, and boring. Enemy takes ages to move, you barely hit them even with 23423423% Accuracy, damage is low like crazy, and the H-scenes suck in general.

Do not get this game, its not worth your time or your money.
"Sion Eltnam is no more.
All there is left is a dead apostle who has inherited the name of TATARI.
Now.....Let's begin the Bloody Second Act." - Sion TATARI

Unread post by Message » July 3rd, 2009, 6:05 am

Oh... If they don't want us to redistro it anymore I won't link to the file. Guess I'll have to poke them soonish to get it done.

solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread post by solopy567 » July 3rd, 2009, 9:16 am

That game looks weird from the screenshots. Is that onscripter or something else?
"Sion Eltnam is no more.

Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Uberoy » July 3rd, 2009, 10:24 am

Not sure if it's been mentioned before (too lazy to thread this amount of pages) but Edelweiss is a very nice VN. It's mostly comical but some romance is included since there are girls that you... Yeah, it's an eroge alright. Funniest shit I've ever read but you might want to wait until the special edition is translated (mangagamer) because the regular editions translation is very bad with alot of grammar mistakes. Still, very recomended.
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.

solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread post by solopy567 » July 3rd, 2009, 12:50 pm

Err, isnt Edelweiss a comapny? they made Ether Vapor
"Sion Eltnam is no more.

Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Maes » July 3rd, 2009, 1:03 pm

I dunno if it's a company or not, but it's a VN by Overdrive.

http://vndb.org/v903
その目だれの目?

Kid-Wolf

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » July 3rd, 2009, 4:37 pm

solopy567 wrote:Err, isnt Edelweiss a comapny? they made Ether Vapor
Actually it's a Visual Novel that was badly translated. Although it's pretty much a guy and his three close friends attend an all girl school on a remote island. Not only that, but the Island holds a great secret. It mostly has something to do with Alchemy then anything to do with the girls. So expect more story than fanservice due to the misleading description of the game.

Although it does have an interesting storyline if you ask me. Also, sometimes the badly translated parts can be somewhat funny too.

Also, the same goes for D.C.~Da Cappo. Although the same group did a better job on that one if you ask me.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

Unread post by Message » July 3rd, 2009, 10:45 pm

solopy567 wrote:That game looks weird from the screenshots. Is that onscripter or something else?
If you mean The Noose, then yeah, it's ONS. I guess they're going to use PONS instead, for the next build.

HeroMan999
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by HeroMan999 » July 6th, 2009, 12:32 am

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will try Ever 17 out since so many people seem to like it. I would try Utawarerumono, but I don't want to risk the hentai. I'll try looking for a non-ero patch for it though. Thanks again for all the advice!

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Atriel » July 6th, 2009, 3:22 am

HeroMan999 wrote:I would try Utawarerumono, but I don't want to risk the hentai. I'll try looking for a non-ero patch for it though.
The scenes are very short and you can CTRL your way through them. Just saying. They suck anyway <_<

Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Raven » July 27th, 2009, 9:38 pm

While I moderately enjoy Leaf's story and characters I just can't get over their stupid H-content, don't get me wrong I have no problem with H-content, heaven forbids, I even somewhat like Nasu's erotic writing (yeah, shoot me). It's just the way Leaf's handle it:
► Show Spoiler

Anyway, I recently finished Family Project and Yume Miru Kusuri. Both are good, but I'm glad I finished Family Project first before Yume Miru Kusuri since I kinda let me realize the latter is kinda overhyped. I think they both achieved the same effect at the end but Family Project achieved the feeling in a much more natural way while YMK seems to just try to force things down your throat. Not saying it's bad, but my opinion on YKM is lower then it would be if I had read it before Family Project.

abscess

Unread post by abscess » August 7th, 2009, 11:44 pm

I'm going through Family Project. After getting two endings (well, three if you count the "lol u dednt get a gurl haha fuck you" [or "Hisami ending"] as one...) I think it's wrong to call it the "Greatest visual novel of all time." But then again, that's a line commonly used and reused to painful extents to make something look bigger than it really is in hopes of better sales... but still, to do that is low, I say.
At any rate, this are the main girls with a brief biased description based on my first layer of prejudice°:
Chunhua/Haruka - the dumb genki-girl.
Masumi - the needy and clingy grown-up woman.
Aoba - the tight-ass.
Jun - the.... kuudere?
Matsuri - the damn loli.
so far I've got Aoba's (quite surprising since I thought I was going for Chunhua), then the "Hisami ending" and finally Matsuri's.
First run (Aoba)
I played as "Mr. Nice Guy" helping everyone and everything almost all the time, but I ignored Matsuri in three important parts because.... well, I saw her as the "loli of the bunch" and chose to leave her for later (or never) and got me the "Aoba ending." That ending, quite frankly, gave me the idea that it was played in a somewhat half-assed manner where you get the "you'll only look at me and only me for the rest of your life.... or I'll cut your balls off" kinda girl.* Even though that was a relatively okay way to end the story, my expectations for the other endings were shot full of holes because of it.
Second run ("lol u dednt get a gurl haha fuck you" or "Hisami ending")
I rushed through the already read dialogues ala "Steven Seagal action sequence" until reaching the choices. Then I chose all the other options I didn't the last time and got me the "Hisami's ending." I thought that I was going for Jun, but I was wrong. Since it's a bad end of sorts, it didn't leave me with a bad after-taste, much more so because I actually liked Hisami's character.
Third run (Matsuri)
I again played "Mr. Nice Guy" but in those three occasions that I ignored Matsuri, this time around I ignored Aoba; quite unsurprisingly it got me Matsuri. Now this is where the meat of the game has been for me so far. I'm actually flabbergasted that I rooted and ended up liking Matsuri's character. After the last choice where the game pretty much becomes a kinetic novel (no choices) the main character actually acts mostly as I'd try in those situations. I can't say much about how the plot is played, which got me by the balls, since I may write a review on the game with spoilerz and shit, but it made me think that the rest of the routes can't be this good. Now the epilogue, how the writer chose to end Matsuri's character and the situation they face in the very last part, is well executed but it feels a tiny bit incomplete. Those that have played it may know what I'm talking about.

The H-scenes, so far the majority made me think of one of James Brown's songs, but that has it's excuse on the main guy's past. Do note that I say the majority, since Matsuri's is quite different from Jun's or Chunhua's (the only one's I've seen). It's quite good to see that they actually have something to do with the story and not the kind you get in Tears to Tiara (IIRC).

Right now, I'm about to go for my fourth playthrough, this time choosing what I'd do (sadly it's somewhat near to being "Mr. Nice Guy" with the options given here) in hopes of nailing Chunhua (hopefuly) or Masumi. My gut tells me that Jun's route may have the presence of the well bred llama I've longed for in hopes it didn't bleed to death in Matsuri's**, so I'll try to leave it for last.

Edit:
Fourth run (Jun)
How everything was being played in the beginning, and even after the last choice; it all gave me the idea that I was well into Chunhua's route, even if Jun and Masumi appeared more than expected. Now, my opinion: First, I can happily say that the llama is strong within Jun's route :') and that it can be compared in quality with Matsuri's. There were some parts that felt a little weak and unconvincing, but Matsuri's also had them, they weren't that many either so they don't affect the route that much. The ending gave me the idea that the main character was going to end up with Hisami, but the epilogue pulled a nice trick with how it was executed and wraped things up nice enough, even if in a rather convenient way.

Later I'll try to go for Chunhua (but with my luck I'll probably end up getting Masumi) and it's likely that I'll have to play it concentrating solely on that character while ignoring the rest. Considering the type of characters that are left, I doubt that there will be that many moments as remarkable as in the other ones; but I also thought that Matsuri was unbeatable and was proven wrong with Jun, so this game may still have a trick or two under its sleeve :D
/Edit

° This descriptions are to be taken as seriously as a half-assed joke just so the reader gets a bit of an idea of what I'm talking about.
* do note that I didn't quite come up with that description myself, but from some of Aoba's dialogues o_o
** I wonder if anyone know what I'm talking about here ;)
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Atriel » August 11th, 2009, 5:23 pm

^Every time the name "Chunhua" was present, I instantly read "Chihuahua", which made me laugh. <_<

So, is it good enough? You know, so that I may try it whenever I can. Speaking out of prejudice, it seems like some generic romance h-game. But even those can be good enough if they pull enough crap out of their asses. If it makes me laugh, I'll take it.

Ahem, yeah so... do you recommend it so far?