Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread post by Atriel » May 4th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Kid-Wolf wrote:Ok the first two would be Jewel Knights Cursaders. Not recomended unless you like busty girls.
I went through that (about 10 minutes). I'll be damned if I ever touch it again.
If you disagree, you are wrong.

Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » May 4th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Yeah they kind of Americanzed it to the point of where I couldn't really stand it, but I just wanted to see if the CGs were worth it. Although in the end it really wasn't as much.

The same went for Pick Me Honey. It's good if you want an H-game with some kind of story, but they could of done something with the non-H CGs though. Also, it fel tlike the recycled a few CGs in the harem ending though. Which is the reason why I felt like that was a letdown.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread post by zweiterversuch » May 4th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Tears to Tiara has been translated guys!!
(yeah... just got informed...)

I have already downloaded the patch!

All I am missing now is the game...
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!

metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread post by metal_cocoabo » May 5th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Atriel wrote:
metal_cocoabo wrote:Moonshine, though it's subject matter is a little... *ahem*, it still kept me enthralled for the better part of a day. And Ballad of an Evening Butterfly, interesting read but a little hard to wrap your head around.

Care to elaborate? You know, just so I know if I shall consider to check them out or not.
I could, but I'm too lazy. Try reading the TL team's overview for Moonshine here and Ballad here instead.

Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Mazyrian » May 8th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Atriel wrote:Speaking of free VN, I tried Brass Restoration but only got through the Yui (was that her name? Orange-red hair...) route since she was the only one that truly caught my attention. I like tomboys, go guess. It was so-so but I was particularly annoyed (not really annoyed, but i can't think of another word right now) that music really had nothing to do in the story. It was... just there. "Hey, he likes music" and that's it. If anything, the only problem was that he could not play anymore but you could've done that with any other thing. I won't get too much into it. The only reason I even read it was because I happened to like Yui a bit, were it not for her I would've just erased Brass Restoration.

Then I thought: "Okay, i'll give Minori (?) a chance. At the very least she is kinda funny." Now, I don't know for sure but it seems that i HAVE to go through either Kouri or Senpai's (or both) route( s ) to get to Minori. I'm not the very least interested in any of those and I barely have some interest in Minori to actually through the trouble of obtaining her route. That's it for this VN.

Glad the forums are back.
Don't know if you are still interested, but you can go through Minori without going through these ones: the catch is don't apologizing to Kouri in the club the first time you go there
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Atriel » May 10th, 2009, 1:04 am

Thank you for pointing that out. I had already gone past there and just rechecked it.
► Show Spoiler
If you disagree, you are wrong.

Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Mazyrian » May 10th, 2009, 5:03 am

► Show Spoiler
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."

Levethix
Might just like this board

Unread post by Levethix » May 24th, 2009, 5:13 pm

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but I may just be a little blind. Has anyone taken a look at Katawa Shoujo yet? I've read parts of the demo and it doesn't seem so bad. The disability part is a little weird but you get used to it as it you get past the first impressions.

They have only released a demo though and it sort of ends right as you get into the story (I think 4 or 5 days, I didn't count). So it does do its part and make you interested. Not sure when the full release is.

That and the way hanako acts is cute <.<

Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Maes » May 24th, 2009, 7:35 pm

I played through the demo, and I liked it. If it at least maintains the quality of the demo in the final release then I will be quite pleased with it. I'd recommend that people do check it out.

<3 Hanako.
その目だれの目?

solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread post by solopy567 » May 24th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Ordered Cross Channel...Can't wait for the lolicaust.
"Sion Eltnam is no more.
All there is left is a dead apostle who has inherited the name of TATARI.
Now.....Let's begin the Bloody Second Act." - Sion TATARI

abscess

Unread post by abscess » May 24th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Levethix wrote:I didn't see it mentioned yet [...] Has anyone taken a look at Katawa Shoujo yet?
I think we have, but not in this thread.
Yeah! It's quite good. I was kinda scared of what I could find. I found it mentioned in mm's homepage but having stemmed from 4chan I had low expectations and were waiting to be disappointed with it, either because of bad artwork or finding writing like "and teh guy said 'hey,laceye! want to have sex0rzx :s~~~~'?? and she grabbed his thing and wenttto a bush andd id it. SO HOT!!!!!11ELEVEN!lol".
But godammit! There are few times I felt that happy for being so wrong!!
Normally, the artwork I find in games not made in japan and are trying to emulate the style look strange or just bad. Though Emi and Lilly look a bit out of place (maybe the way they're colored), the rest look very, very good. I liked the backgrounds, it was obvious they were photographs, but they worked on them somehow and they look somewhat like a painting (they remind me of Braid's BGs for some reason), so, I do feel they blend together rather nicely.
The writing was quite good, so much better than what I was fearing. It was light and easy to read, not too descriptive, but visual novels don't tend to be like that anyway. No part of the dialogue or inner monologues I can remember felt forced or weird (unless intended) and character interactions where very well done. The characters, though some seemed a little flat (Emi, for example), at the very least they still seem quite interesting to the point of convincing me that there's a great potential in the future of the storylines. I expect a high quality work from those guys, and so far they've delivered!

I'm rooting for Shizune and Rin :D
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » June 4th, 2009, 10:42 pm

ok, went through Little Busters trial ver..... so now i must save for the complete one when a translation patch is done, is looking damn awesome (when theres a girl who grows nekomimis when she goes mad, you cant be wrong lol)
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread post by metal_cocoabo » June 10th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Just finished Da Capo. More of a feel-good kind of story and it feels like Circus pushed for happy endings all around.
► Show Spoiler
Story-wise, the two side routes are better than the five main routes but this comes from a guy who liked Tsukihime's normal endings better than the good ones.

Narcissu 2nd is somewhat near release and has some demos ready.
abcess wrote:Yeah! It's quite good. I was kinda scared of what I could find. I found it mentioned in mm's homepage but having stemmed from 4chan I had low expectations and were waiting to be disappointed with it, either because of bad artwork or finding writing like "and teh guy said 'hey,laceye! want to have sex0rzx :s~~~~'?? and she grabbed his thing and wenttto a bush andd id it. SO HOT!!!!!11ELEVEN!lol".
But godammit! There are few times I felt that happy for being so wrong!!
Normally, the artwork I find in games not made in japan and are trying to emulate the style look strange or just bad. Though Emi and Lilly look a bit out of place (maybe the way they're colored), the rest look very, very good. I liked the backgrounds, it was obvious they were photographs, but they worked on them somehow and they look somewhat like a painting (they remind me of Braid's BGs for some reason), so, I do feel they blend together rather nicely.
The writing was quite good, so much better than what I was fearing. It was light and easy to read, not too descriptive, but visual novels don't tend to be like that anyway. No part of the dialogue or inner monologues I can remember felt forced or weird (unless intended) and character interactions where very well done. The characters, though some seemed a little flat (Emi, for example), at the very least they still seem quite interesting to the point of convincing me that there's a great potential in the future of the storylines. I expect a high quality work from those guys, and so far they've delivered!
Any definite date on the full release? I keep hearing good things about this but I'd rather see the complete thing.

abscess

Unread post by abscess » June 10th, 2009, 8:21 pm

metal_cocoabo wrote:Any definite date on the full release? I keep hearing good things about this but I'd rather see the complete thing.
Nope. And there is no use in asking that in the forums. Just check the Act 1, it's a good way to spend your time.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » June 30th, 2009, 11:34 pm

I recommend School Days !
No... it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm on the Sekai Project staff... nope nothing...
[btw epsiode 1 just got released! that has nothing to do with it...]

abscess

Unread post by abscess » July 1st, 2009, 3:35 am

@X-Calibar
:) Sure it doesn't.
Lost the link I had for your site, and I'm waaaay to lazy to search for it. Could you post it?
Never mind. Found it in the translation forum..... I should start lurking more again than posting.....

Currently, I'm searching for my long lost Divi Dead copy to try and get the rest of the endings.

Kid-Wolf

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » July 1st, 2009, 11:20 am

abscess wrote:Currently, I'm searching for my long lost Divi Dead copy to try and get the rest of the endings.
Say how is that game anyways, I've only heard some things about it and that was about it.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

DarkSign
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by DarkSign » July 1st, 2009, 11:54 am

Hum... what do you guys think about Tayutama?

and... do you know which VN was Nanoha series based on? I want to play it.

Kid-Wolf

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » July 1st, 2009, 12:35 pm

Well I haven't played Tayutama, but seen the series. Although I'm not fully inclined to paly it as of yet.

As for the Visual novel that was baised off of Nanoha... well it's really a spin-off of another anime that was a Visual Novel at one point known as Triangle Heart.

abscess

Unread post by abscess » July 1st, 2009, 6:55 pm

Kid-Wolf wrote:Say how is that game [Divi Dead] anyways, I've only heard some things about it and that was about it.
I was writing a review about it but never got to finish it. Anyway, I'll post it and edit it so it's readable:
The story, which is the most important part, this is the setting:

The opening scene is of someone lying in bed, the noise of a broken window wakes him up to see a hand that "burns like fire", it tears his throat and blood spurts out, the last thing he sees is a familiar face. Ranmaru Hibikiya wakes up from a nightmare, and from there on you follow him. He suffers a strange illness that makes him have seizures sometimes. Due to that illness he nearly died as a child, thus he has spent most of his life bedridden. After he grew older the seizures have become less and less frequent so it appears that his health has improved. His uncle, principal* of the Asao Private School, asks him if he is interested in enrolling in the school, but he will also have to investigate what's going on there, since strange things appear to be happening. Being sick of staying home, Ranmaru accepts the trade.

In the beginning everything in school appears to be as normal as a private school in the middle of nowhere can be, but not much time passes when he finds abnormalities in what appears to be common school life. After that, it's a trip into the supernatural that defies logic and character development...

You have to keep in mind that this game is old (11 years now), so it's expected to not be on par of what we are used to nowadays. Having said that, it is an engaging story. Even though the characters do make me ask myself why do they act like that, most of the time they have an excuse for it that goes with the rest of the story, but, and this is my very personal view so it doesn't mean that you'll think the same, I didn't like most of the characters in there. But it is a classic around these parts that made people aware of visual novels and that eroge can also have a good story.

Having said that, this is what I think of the h-scenes :)
I just loved all of them! They are so utterly stupid that I laughed at every last one of them!
"Let's achieve mutual liquid nirvana!"
That line is priceless, mainly because the voice-actress didn't actually say anything but moan. I can't remember any mollusk comparison here, if there was any, but most of them were pure crap like "my nectar is flowing!" and "put your eggplant inside of me"; again, in both cases no real words were pronounced by the voice-actresses....

In conclusion: It is a good and engaging read that still manages to outperform some Visual Novels today, but keep in mind that this is if you are willing to spend your time with old games. If 16 bit colors*, midis and bits of dialogue that were highly altered by the translator puts you off, then this is not for you. I don't think it's for everyone, but those that read it more than likely will find it worth the while.

End note: Forgot to say that, according to Message, I got the crappiest ending available, so it's likely that there's better character development in the other paths than the one I saw.

* Means that I don't remember clearly, so I could be wrong.