Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread postby Mazyrian » November 24th, 2009, 10:44 pm

Don't know how much you advanced, but yes, it gets better; the main character is indeed somewhat of a pervert, but that isn't nearly the main point of the story.
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raven » November 24th, 2009, 10:58 pm

only about 30mins. I'm no stranger with all the panties talk, it's something taken for granted in VN anyway. It's just that like I said so far there is an overwhelming amount of them that it strikes me as a sex-rom, which I'm not really interested in.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mazyrian » November 26th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Rest assured it's certainly not a sex romp
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Arayashiki » November 27th, 2009, 11:09 am

Mazyrian wrote:@Arayashiki
Well, to me Saya no Uta is one of the better translated VN there are, so now you may have a somewhat high standard. And anyways there are not many horror things (are least translated). As said, Utawarerumono is very good, though a part of it resides in the gameplay. If you like more slice-of-life-ish/drama/nakige things, you could try Clannad, Crescendo, or Yume Miru Kusuri. Planetarian is another good, short VN which doesn't have waste (this one without choices). As said in my earlier post, Ever17 and Cross+Channel are also some of the best things I've played. Nasu himself said that Cross+Channel was an unsurmountable barrier in the VN world.

Well for now, I'll be looking into Cross+Channel
I sorta don't want to do any real research into it so I don't accidently spoil myself

What genre would you place it under, and roughly how long is the game?
Are there choices or is it kinetic?
So really, what should I expect if I were to buy this?

Thanks again!
Arayashiki
Might just like this board

Unread postby Uberoy » November 27th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Arayashiki wrote:So really, what should I expect if I were to buy this?

Thanks again!

http://www.geocities.jp/lledoece/nanaca-crash.html

Nah, seriously, haven't read so much about it myself but my friend told me that it was awesome.
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mazyrian » November 28th, 2009, 11:46 am

Cross+Channel would be... hm, maybe romance, or more like interpersonal? Also with a weirdness factor. Is a little shorter than most VN, but still it took me about 17 hours to finish. There are choices, and it's single route; get any girl that seems winnable that you didn't already get.
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » November 30th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Currently playing Sengoku Rance all thanks to Yandere Translations of course. Although I kind of wonder if this is more considered as a stratgey game than a Visual Novel of course. In any case it's rather hard but has rather intracate storyline after the first playthrough of course.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Arayashiki » December 4th, 2009, 11:49 pm

I can now see why Cross + Channel is so widely loved
While Taichi is indeed a huge pervert, some of (well most of) his remarks and thoughts are really well written.
Only finished the Cross + Channel segment, and the ending sorta confused me slightly, especially the beginning of the 'second week'
But I'm sure I'll come to understand it more as the plot progresses and when I get more free time to really read through it.

Thanks again for the suggestion - so far this is amazingly creative, and so so funny.
"You look like you want to ask me if 'do you want breakfast?' or ''Are you ready for your bath?''
"I think I'll eat while taking a bath''
This cracked me up when I read it.
Arayashiki

Unread postby Raven » December 16th, 2009, 7:36 am

I think the English version for Higurashi no Naku just got released ....
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby X-Calibar » December 16th, 2009, 6:49 pm

And Swan Song 0.5 patch just got released too... !
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raven » December 17th, 2009, 6:01 am

Symphonic Rain also received the first full Beta release. It has some bugs and need some work around on certain part but you can play the whole game in English.

Seem like a lot of good releases coming lately.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Arayashiki » December 17th, 2009, 8:09 am

Higurashi was localised very recently (yesterday or something) and the anon from 4chan have already started modding it.
I've noticed quite a few issues with Mangagamers release though, typos and text wrapping problems, not to mention a terrible interface they developed
But when I get the time, I can't wait to read through it.
Arayashiki

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » December 17th, 2009, 3:37 pm

^ Yeah not only that but some games from MangaGamers tend to have vetain problems as well. Heck I played DaCapo one day and I randomly got a Blue Screen of Death while playing it. They stll have certain issues that make me want to shy away from thier work even if it's a Visual Novel I would like to take on.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Raven » March 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm

Finished Kikokugai. Hum ... nitro+. Used to consider pin up VN publisher, seems to be more like the bogeyman. Good read, but disturbing as hell. Mix up with bit of creepiness and weird...ness. Don't know how to describe. Saya no Uta, Chaos;Head, and Kikokugai, I say these writer are twisted.

Also back track the discussion. Tried True Remembrance, short, but pretty good. Love La, tried to talk like her, hope didn't fail too bad. Main character's kinda refreshing. Need similar tittles.

*ahemm*

Anyway, out of all the line up on TLwiki which tittle you guys are looking forward the most? Fate/Hollow is a no brainer but I think we ain't gonna see it in a few years (and I'm being optimistic) so guess that doesn't count. Next on list probably is Little Buster, and I'm waiting until a full patch before getting it. At the pace it's going My girlfriend is the President probably gonna be the first finisher (gosh, I wish most translation team can move with that kind of speed).
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mazyrian » March 22nd, 2010, 8:49 pm

Besides the no-brainer F/HA, the one I'd most like to see would be Kizuato. Then, also Little Busters (Key FTW), and YU-NO.
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » March 22nd, 2010, 10:10 pm

Well supprsingly enough Shuffle! was a pretty good game. Even though it was done by MangaGamers it wasn't as bad as two other VNs I played from them.

Long story short the Visual Novel somehow manages to be better than the anime.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Raven » March 24th, 2010, 4:53 pm

I think most Harem type VNs are better than their anime counterparts for the sole reason the protagonists are not completely oblivious idiots. If you think about it 50-60% of the drama you see in a harem anime do not exist in the original VN. A harem anime usually includes the routine of "I can't decide, I'll break all the girls' hearts before I choose one even when I'm supposed to be a nice guy". The VN versions are usually more decisive than that. I'm not talking about Shuffle! but this is how I think most Harem type anime are. So much that I decided to stop watching the genre sometime ago. I think Shuffle! the anime did a pretty good job in destroying Rin and Keadea characters, in fact I think the anime managed to make Rin the most hated asshole in all anime. In the VN the drama even in Asa route is handled with much more class and less teen anguish.

To date I think there is only one anime series that manage to maintain the character integrity from VN to anime adaption is Clannad. It stills manage to cover most of the character aspect of the VN, yet each heroin routes don't feel invasive of one another.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raven » March 30th, 2010, 2:38 am

hey Dakkodango just released Eien no Aselia (Sword of Eternity). Heard that it's a pretty long games, (longer than Tears to Tiara and has multiple paths). Damn I wish they gonna take on Sword of Eternity 2 sometime later, I know I'm being greedy but ...
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Maes » April 1st, 2010, 10:03 am

omgomgomg

Not an April Fools joke. I'm giddy.
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby sushimonster » April 1st, 2010, 9:36 pm

I have one to recommend... "White Album 2 - Introductory Chapter -", by Leaf.

Have a mate of mine who got this as a pressie. Played it, and GEEZ! The native resolution for it is 720p and looks amazing. Well, the graphics and animation effects at least.
The entire visual novel is voiced (think Tears to Tiara, another VN by Leaf), and one of protagonists sounds suspiciously like Noriaki Sugiyama (Shiro from Fate/stay night). Overall, the voice acting is pretty top notch.

Storyline. Well, I only played it for 30 minutes but it seems OK I guess. It's just a few years after the events of White Album 1, and from what I get from my crap Japanese vocab, the characters are about to start a group...? (K-On...?) The downside is that apparently the story is rather short. There's going to be a "White Album 2 Closing Chapter" next year as well from the preview videos found on the game.

I might buy this game off me mate (or even consider importing it in); that's how much I like it.
Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project (mirrormoon is NOT translating)

DJMax Korea Veteran Elite Member (Top 350)
sushimonster
Crack Addic!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat