Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Re: Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 3rd, 2010, 1:39 am

<shameless_plug>
<biased>

--== Farland Symphony ==--

http://mirrormoon.org/projects/farland_symphony

(I need to update the screenshots though. -3-)

</biased>
</shameless_plug>

Well, it's more of an SRPG but has VN-style elements.
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby X-Calibar » April 5th, 2010, 6:11 pm

I was thinking maybe putting the release news of Farland Symphony on romhacking.net since it's a RPG? :D Is that a good idea?
Anyways... looking forward to playing it when I have a chance...

Also there's something else I wanted to mention about another one of those polls for what to translate next :
The project to translate Kara no Shoujo is nearly complete, and the translator ran a poll to see what they should tackle next...
Caucasus, another innocent grey game [like Kara no Shoujo is in the lead...] But, I'm hoping for Comyu!

I think Comyu will be closer to another Tsukihime, Fate/stay night kind of game... So thought it was worth trying to push for :D

Copy pasta from other site :
Caucasus 49% 371
Carnival 13% 101
Comyu 36% 268
Chrono Belt 2% 12

752 votes total
I hope more people vote for Comyu!

We are about to get Kara no Shoujo... I was hoping for something different for their next translation...
I mean another Kara no Shoujo will be a good thing, if the reviews are true... it's just...

Caucasus review :
Ok so the bottom line for this eroge is this. If you’re not going to slug through replays to complete the eroge, then don’t even start. It’s not close to even averagely easy and leaving this halfway through is absolutely pointless. Coupled with the fact that it has gore and rape among other things, it’s best you are prepared for it before you play. There is also the huge pain of trying to trip flags throughout the entire game just to get that one ending. This certainly isn’t an eroge for everyone, but it’s pretty damned good for those who can accept it.

Comyu review :
So should you play comyu?

Don’t ask questions. Play it. Unless you hated Ruitomo. It has quite a unique story and a really likable cast. Be ready to stomach a dark story though. This would definitely be worth anyone’s time. Now I’m just wondering if Muramusa would be able to topple this...

Openings for Comyu :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_TYkQuSEpI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcVPuz4srI

Opening for Caucasus :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31MJEYT8c3s

EDIT : mentioning the voting site might help...
http://poll.pollcode.com/WRbG
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » April 5th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Hmm... If I had to choose based on opening alone, I'd go for Caucasus mainly because of better artwork (imo). But:
a) I'm not a big fan of pointless rape.
b) Supposing you are right and Comyu is close to being the next Tsukihime.
I'll follow your word and hope you are right if Comyu wins, but
Selection Votes
Caucasus 50% 379
Carnival 13% 101
Comyu 35% 269
Chrono Belt 2% 12

761 votes total

That seems like a pretty uneven fight, if you ask me.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby X-Calibar » April 5th, 2010, 11:48 pm

abscess wrote:That seems like a pretty uneven fight, if you ask me.

I bet on the underdog again :O [It won with the Sekien no Iganock vote! Just by a few...] Can we do it again?

All of those titles are pretty dark from what I read about them; also I doubt Caucasus has pointless rape... (if it does then it falls a lot from what I'm expecting)
But, of the three titles; the one I think most people will like would be Comyu. A fair amount of high ratings on vndb too...
It's just a calculated guess in the end... ...but I'm glad you voted for Comyu o/
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » April 7th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Narcissu Side 2nd and Narcissu 1
I'm going through 1 mostly because I can't remember jack-shit about it, probably didn't even finish it in the first place... The prose from 2nd feels very different from the first one, in 1 there's more description for things that are happening, like the protagonist narrating "Setsumi is watching a boring New Years program with pathetic comedians and impersonators;" in 2nd there isn't that much description, instead there's written sound effects (like *bop*, *gyararara*, etc.) accompanied with sound-bites, much more dialogue and inner monologues with shortened narrations of what happens.

Storywise so far it seems more centered in seeing Himeko's (the protagonist in 2nd) change during her stay in the hospital, how her relationship with her sister and best-friend grow bitter as times passes by. That approach, compared to Narcissu's "see how I brood and how I don't relate to my family" that makes me go "meh...", feels much easier to relate to.

But 2nd doesn't go unscathed, I've been through quite a number of blatant moe-moe bits that makes me detach from what's going on. They do work as "breather points" so it isn't all "heart-wrenching" drama, but that many of them is counter-productive. A little more narration and less cheap moeness would have been an improvement, imo.

Overall, both are rather different in presentation, even if I can predict that both protagonist will likely die at some moment in the story, it still manages to not feel like the same tale told twice.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby exerron » April 14th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Selection Votes
Caucasus 49% 448
Carnival 14% 127
Comyu 35% 318
Chrono Belt 2% 15

908 votes total

This isn't good...

Anyway I voted for Comyu, and I hope it ill win.
exerron
Might just like this board

Unread postby Shikiller » April 27th, 2010, 12:40 am

Muv Luv Extra patch released. This patch translate the main routes, Sumika and Meiya's. It translates Marimo's end too, but that's a bad ending...

http://amaterasu.is.moelicious.be/index.php

Shikiller
Crack Desu!

Unread postby X-Calibar » April 27th, 2010, 5:02 pm

In case you don't check news at encubed or visual novel news...
3 C&D's recently have been sent :
TLWiki's entry for Eden has been taken down at the request of Minori.

We’ve been informed that minori has supposedly sent NNL a DMCA request and intend to pursue legal action in Canada if the DMCA is ignored. Meanwhile, NNL has put up a poll on their website asking whether ef should be released.

Currently, No Name Losers has removed all content from their website except for the mainpage. This includes the pages for ef - a fairy tale of the two and Wind -A Breath of Heart-.

CUFFS sent a cease and desist letter on behalf of their Sphere brand to the TLWiki administrator requesting that the Yosuga no Sora translation project be removed. As such, the files have been removed from the wiki in compliance with the request.
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Maes » April 27th, 2010, 11:31 pm

It's actually rather amazing that NNL didn't get anything before now regarding their work on ef. Am I disappointed, yes, am I surprised, no.
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Chr0nicz420 » May 5th, 2010, 2:22 am

Any1 for Higurashi (But i prefer Matsuri and that's for Ps2 game)
Chr0nicz420
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » December 17th, 2010, 11:04 pm

Well I kind of have a dual recomendation here. From what I've read so far I would recomend the Umineko core arcs (EP. 5+) that our now out. Also, to shamelessly plug that EP.8 will be out this Winter Comiket. Although it would be a better read and it would make more sense if EP. 1 though EP. 4 were read as well.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby solopy567 » December 23rd, 2010, 2:32 pm

I recommend Eien no Aselia - Kono Daichi no Hate De...A great game with a battle system that I've never seen before, and a good story too!
"Sion Eltnam is no more.
All there is left is a dead apostle who has inherited the name of TATARI.
Now.....Let's begin the Bloody Second Act." - Sion TATARI
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » April 27th, 2011, 4:08 am

Ok since I'm in the middle of playing this I would recomend the Koihime Musou VN. Pretty much it's like the anime, but adds back in the main male lead and some other characters that were either overlooked, or didn't have that much screen time. Yes there is yuri in this with one of the girls which is normal, but so far it's a pretty good read. In any case I think more is explained in the anime for background than what the VN does. Although the VN really goes into the whole Romance of the 3 Kingdoms a little bit in. As for the anime series it seemed like it was a bit before and around that time.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Previous

Return to General Chat