Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Unread postby abscess » June 8th, 2008, 6:19 pm

This is some sort of continuation to the now gone "VN recommendation" thread. I intend to use this thread as a place where forum users in general can post their VN recommendations and questions about them as well as answers (of course, or else there wouldn't be much use for this thing).

So far I got these recommendations (at least these are the ones that I remember)
Ever17
Clannad
Narcissu
EVE Burst Error
Phantom of Inferno
[Edit]--Recently remembered:
Kana Imouto
Crescendo
Planetarian
Divi-Dead[/Edit]

And to not let the tradition die, I have, once again, a question:D
I think I found an EVE Burst Error copy being sold in a store that sells used stuff (mainly video games). I read somewhere that EVE Burst Error was remade and released in 2003, but I'm not sure if the one being sold there is the remake or the 1997 original. I'm interested in getting the 2003 rmeake instead of the "pro translated" 1997 original because I read that one is censored and I hate to have an incomplete product. Before I go to that store to buy it (supposing that it's the remake) I would like to ask this, is there an english patch for it or a project translating it? Thanks.

P.S:I'm so glad that "the General" is back!!!
Last edited by abscess on June 21st, 2008, 8:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Shikiller » June 9th, 2008, 2:15 am

How could you forget Planetarian >:(
Shikiller
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » June 9th, 2008, 2:19 am

Shikiller wrote:How could you forget Planetarian >:(

My memory is an incredible MESS :D
Sorry. will fix it.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby lolipedofin » June 9th, 2008, 3:48 am

I would say, most of the fan-translated Visual Novels are of high quality. One: Kagayaku Kisetsu e is probably a good one to try, it's an eroge made by Tactics the team that went on to form "Key"

Wind ~a breath of heart~ is also good...

As for commercial translation, i would recommend you to try Yume Miru Kusuri, it's the best US localized eroge so far in my eyes. Crescendo is also fairly good for US localized eroge, just bear with the Shoujo art style for a bit, and you find yourself a fairly enjoyable game...

Uhh... btw, i just realized your first post, and i don't see any eroge in your list... could you possibly looking for a non-eroge VN.. if you do, then never mind my post. :P
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » June 9th, 2008, 4:02 am

lolipedofin wrote:I would say, most of the fan-translated Visual Novels are of high quality. One: Kagayaku Kisetsu e is probably a good one to try, it's an eroge made by Tactics the team that went on to form "Key"

Wind ~a breath of heart~ is also good...

As for commercial translation, i would recommend you to try Yume Miru Kusuri, it's the best US localized eroge so far in my eyes. Crescendo is also fairly good for US localized eroge, just bear with the Shoujo art style for a bit, and you find yourself a fairly enjoyable game...

Uhh... btw, i just realized your first post, and i don't see any eroge in your list... could you possibly looking for a non-eroge VN.. if you do, then never mind my post. :P

No no, it doesn't matter actually if it's an eroge or a non-eroge. I'm looking for STORY, if it has ero content it's just fine, if not no problem. But, as far as I know, EVE Burst Error had eroge in the japanese release, when it was localized in 1997 in the US it got those scenes removed. There is a 2003 re-release or remake or something that, again as far as I know, is the whole package. I'm actually looking for that one since I don't want to get an incomplete product (when I get something that is censored or has something cutoff I feel it's an incomplete product, therefore my interest vanishes). What I don't know is if the 2003 release is localized, fan-translated, being fan-translated or just plainly forgotten.

Any way, could you write a bit about the story of Kagayaku Kisetsu and Yume Miru Kusuri? I read once about Wind, isn't it one of those "pick the loli/woman/girl/beast/whatever of your choice and 'make sweet love to her'"?
abscess

Unread postby WingZero » June 9th, 2008, 4:13 am

Any way, could you write a bit about the story of Kagayaku Kisetsu and Yume Miru Kusuri? I read once about Wind, isn't it one of those "pick the loli/woman/girl/beast/whatever of your choice and 'make sweet love to her'"?

Yes. The actual plot of the story presents itself within the last 1-2 hours of gameplay (In all routes).

I would recommend True Remembrance (tops Narcissu, imo) and Ballad of an Evening Butterfly (very good, if a bit short).

Both are free and can be legally downloaded.

Also, I remember seeing Kana Imouto in the previous thread(s) about VN, so you're missing that from your list.

I'd like to second ONE by Tactics as well. I personally think it's the most brilliant piece done by members of Key to date.
(I reserve the right to change my opinion when (if) Rewrite comes out in an accessible language)

As far as ONE's story goes, you might be a little disappointed if you're looking for something plot-heavy. It's pretty akin to Wind (albeit with some of the more well-written touching scenes in a dating sim) where you, as you put it, "pick the loli/woman/girl/beast/whatever of your choice and 'make sweet love to her' ".

I'm having a hard time thinking up anything to write about what limited plot it has without giving away major spoilers, so I think I'll leave that to someone more talented.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » June 9th, 2008, 4:24 am

WingZero wrote:I would recommend True Remembrance (tops Narcissu, imo) and Ballad of an Evening Butterfly (very good, if a bit short).

Both are free and can be legally downloaded.

Oh, good! Since those aren't considered warez, could you post a link?

WingZero wrote:Also, I remember seeing Kana Imouto in the previous thread(s) about VN, so you're missing that from your list.

Thanks!

WingZero wrote:I'd like to second ONE by Tactics as well. I personally think it's the most brilliant piece done by members of Key to date.
(I reserve the right to change my opinion when (if) Rewrite comes out in an accessible language)

Hmmm... two people now, perhaps I'll give it a chance.
abscess

Unread postby Phoenician » June 9th, 2008, 4:25 am

Wind follows several story paths, none of which involve anything not resembling a human, although every arc runs a similar path (only key events really differ until the halfway point).
I say resembling because Hikari isn't technically human

It is a beautiful story, sort of reminiscient of One ~to the radiant season~.
without the whole "Shit son, I'm fadin' away!" part

Also, just like Kana, Gore Screaming Show, Crescendo, Kanon, etc...
There are unlockable paths

And just like GSS and Crescendo
it's :edit: as in and unlockable path :edit: with dead people!

Edit: I started typing b4 last two posts >.>
Last edited by Phoenician on June 9th, 2008, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenician
Addict

Unread postby WingZero » June 9th, 2008, 4:28 am

Sure:

Ballad of an Evening Butterfly:
http://mangasos.com/dejavu/vn/projects-butterfly.html

(If you liked it, you can also try 40 days and 40 nights of rain and Impure Insect on the same site. They were also created by the same authors and I liked those as well.)

True Remembrance:

http://trueremembrance.insani.org/get.html

An Insani release. Which means no direct link, so you'll have to use BT to get it.

This one's pretty lengthy in comparison (I recall it taking me 6 hours or so to finish it on the day of release) and a pretty good read with a good plot.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » June 9th, 2008, 5:01 am

Thanks! Will do! when I have some time to waste and Im not in EXAM PERIOD!!
DAMN I NEED TO STUDY!!!
abscess

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 9th, 2008, 5:02 am

WingZero wrote:I'd like to second ONE by Tactics as well. I personally think it's the most brilliant piece done by members of Key to date.

As far as ONE's story goes, you might be a little disappointed if you're looking for something plot-heavy. It's pretty akin to Wind (albeit with some of the more well-written touching scenes in a dating sim) where you, as you put it, "pick the loli/woman/girl/beast/whatever of your choice and 'make sweet love to her' ".

I'm having a hard time thinking up anything to write about what limited plot it has without giving away major spoilers, so I think I'll leave that to someone more talented.

Speaking of ONE...how exactly do you not go on the Mayu (girl with the ermine) route? Both times I played through, it went to her route...should I
not try to take a shortcut through the forest on that one day?
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Phoenician » June 9th, 2008, 5:08 am

Cat Megex wrote:

Speaking of ONE...how exactly do you not go on the Mayu (girl with the ermine) route? Both times I played through, it went to her route...should I
not try to take a shortcut through the forest on that one day?

exactly

as for ALL of the routes, I haven't played in forever (speaking of forever, since "zetai" is forever would "zetai zetai" be foeva eva)
Phoenician
Addict

Unread postby Tearmorph » June 9th, 2008, 7:48 am

You should also check out OMGWTFOTL. it should teach you everything you need to know about genuflection... maybe not.
its free and can be donwloaded on Insani's site http://insani.org/omgwtfotl.html

synopsis copied from site:
"GENUFLECT OR DIE! Now, finally, the lunatic novel game which received enthusiastic applause from ... an incredibly small number of rabid Japanese fans ... comes to invade the English-speaking world! This piece will have you going OMG, WTF, and OTL all at once -- and as such it is entirely not appropriate for those under the age of 18 or those with delicate sensibilities. Consider: at different times, it features things like tentacle beast rape, kamikaze suicide attacks, and clubbing baby bears to death with crowbars. Proceed with utmost caution."
Close The World...txeN ehT nepO
Tearmorph
Might just like this board

Unread postby Message » June 9th, 2008, 8:16 am

abscess wrote:There is a 2003 re-release or remake or something that, again as far as I know, is the whole package.

I really don't think there ever was another translation from Himeya after... whatever their last title was, a long time ago. Technically they didn't go bankrupt as they were part of C's Ware, but they told me they lost too much money on those translations to want to try it again.

Also as far as I know the EVE series are, in fact, non-ero. ADAM The Double Factor was the only erotic game in the series, and it was considered by the fans to be a huge flop. Aren't you confused with EVE The Fatal Attraction, the 2001 non-ero remake of ADAM TDF?

Anyway, you people forgot Divi-Dead. Bad translation, horrible ero, but freaky mindtrip story.

Unread postby ayadew » June 9th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Genuflect!
I just finished Tsugumi's bad ending in Ever17, which was the only character I found interesting anyway.
Sociopaths like her are often interesting people, and she was.. but it's too bad they didn't take the philosophical part of her fate more indepth, after the talk in the Jellyfish gondola made me actually think a bit outside the game. That's beyond most things I've read!
Then they go on as if nothing happened, although their relation of course got deeper. But a person such as Tsugumi shouldn't be affected by the irregular and martyrdom-ish affection of Takeshi, according to my IRL experience anyway.. :p

But that might be answered in the other routes, though I doubt it! Will read on more though.

So.. I recommend it (even though it's on your list, hah)!

Message wrote:Anyway, you people forgot Divi-Dead. Bad translation, horrible ero, but freaky mindtrip story.

Perhaps for a reason :D I can't recommend it at all, it's got good atmosphere but that's about it. I loled occasionally at it all, since the ero was so bad, the characters shallow and the whole system retarded.
Nice artwork though..
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Phlebas » June 9th, 2008, 1:39 pm

ayadew wrote:I just finished Tsugumi's bad ending in Ever17, which was the only character I found interesting anyway.

But that might be answered in the other routes, though I doubt it! Will read on more though.

You'll probably feel so silly after a few days when reading back to your comment :P
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby zweiterversuch » June 9th, 2008, 2:46 pm

You are happy when you find the stuff you want at E-bay. You are sad when you discover that what they sended to you wasn't what you wanted.
After that. I think Girlfriend of Steel 2 is a good game. (The real one)
It can be considered a VN, right?
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby ayadew » June 9th, 2008, 3:01 pm

Phlebas wrote:
ayadew wrote:I just finished Tsugumi's bad ending in Ever17, which was the only character I found interesting anyway.

You'll probably feel so silly after a few days when reading back to your comment :P

Haha, yes, I have a feeling of that. This game is suprisingly intellectual.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Henduluin » June 9th, 2008, 3:25 pm

The best part about that end: It's actually the *good* end, as you can see in the ingame checklist.

Think about that for a while.
Poor girl.

That ending seriously messed me up for several days, heh.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ayadew » June 9th, 2008, 4:24 pm

"Tsugumi Ver. Good End"
Oh man... That girl is the proof of being exposed to reality breeds cynism. To find love for the first time, then the next moment have it coldly ripped to nothingness before your eyes must have destroyed the last pieces of her humanity.
And that's the freaking good end..
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Next

Return to General Chat