Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread post by that one guy » January 30th, 2009, 4:19 am

Just started Idols Galore!, and I'm very underwhelmed. I was expecting something a little better...

Side Note:Anyone else hear of the KIRA*KIRA PS2 game? I'll check out a preview, and if it's writing is simple enough I might get it.

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » January 30th, 2009, 4:25 am

Kid-Wolf wrote:And that is why you should play Fate/stay night first before playing Princess Waltz. Indeed it has it's OMG it's like Fate moments. Not only that but they heavally made fun of the "Killed when you die," bit. I'm sure the group that did this someone actually played Fate and decided that it was a awsome game that they needed to make someting similar to the original. Although there was a famous quote that goes, "The orginal is always better then the copy."

With that being said they should of licensed te Fate/stay night Visual Novel since this game shows that Fate is much better and can be appreciated even more as well.
I know, I noticed so much similarities, I realized at one point it was intentional for sure. Saber was decently unique as they come, and a character fitting about 80% of her, was, well...yeah.

Still, it ruins Princess Waltz abit seeing it as more of a parody. :P

Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » January 30th, 2009, 5:38 am

Mkilbride wrote:
Kid-Wolf wrote:And that is why you should play Fate/stay night first before playing Princess Waltz. Indeed it has it's OMG it's like Fate moments. Not only that but they heavally made fun of the "Killed when you die," bit. I'm sure the group that did this someone actually played Fate and decided that it was a awsome game that they needed to make someting similar to the original. Although there was a famous quote that goes, "The orginal is always better then the copy."

With that being said they should of licensed te Fate/stay night Visual Novel since this game shows that Fate is much better and can be appreciated even more as well.
I know, I noticed so much similarities, I realized at one point it was intentional for sure. Saber was decently unique as they come, and a character fitting about 80% of her, was, well...yeah.

Still, it ruins Princess Waltz abit seeing it as more of a parody. :P
And that's why it's a lot more fun to play in the end. Besides I see it as a, "What if..." series that made it seem down to earth in a way. Although it still can't be compiared to Fate, but it was just as fun. Its only setback was it was mostly a story driven Visual Novel where your actions didn't do much though.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » January 31st, 2009, 5:36 pm

Just got the part where....
► Show Spoiler

LoSs
Addict

Unread post by LoSs » February 1st, 2009, 10:55 am

Finished Muv-Luv Alternative All Ages version - insert videos were awesome, but i wish for more omake in next games.

solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread post by solopy567 » February 1st, 2009, 2:17 pm

Princess Waltz is just too similar to TYPE-MOON works to be left unchecked.

Too many similarities!
► Show Spoiler
I wouldn't be surprised if a Gilgamesh like person pops out of nowhere.

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » February 1st, 2009, 3:55 pm

What the fudge!

I just got a "Bad End"

And I never even got a CHOICE TO MAKE! That pisses me off so fucking much. Never got a choice, AND got a bad end. Also, if anyone tells me that is how it how it's supposed to be, then that's fucking stupid. I'm not playing this anymore, the developers / writers really did something awful here.

I don't even care about this "2nd Chapter" crap, they did that all basically to piss fans off and it's not a good idea. Honestly, it was a childish trick to do that installs anger in those whom read it.

► Show Spoiler

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » February 1st, 2009, 6:14 pm

Mkilbride wrote:What the fudge!

I just got a "Bad End"

And I never even got a CHOICE TO MAKE! That pisses me off so fucking much. Never got a choice, AND got a bad end. Also, if anyone tells me that is how it how it's supposed to be, then that's fucking stupid. I'm not playing this anymore, the developers / writers really did something awful here.
lolololololololol dude chill out, it was just a different way to say "first chapter end" dont throw it away just because of that :lol:
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » February 1st, 2009, 9:26 pm

► Show Spoiler

Kid-Wolf

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » February 1st, 2009, 10:03 pm

Mkilbride wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Ah so you decided to do the older sister ending first. Well you got the other 4 left to go before the attached Epilogue.
► Show Spoiler
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » February 2nd, 2009, 6:40 pm

Finished it, felt kind of lame...the only choice you get in the game is to choose which girl you wanna screw, and even that has no effect on the ending. Also, there was no really epic fight or sad deaths.

NO NODOKA ending? CMON, one normal, human girl, it would be great! Plus, she's so in love with you it's insane. It's the first game I've actually seen a childhood friend you can't hook up with.(VN wise)

ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by ayadew » February 4th, 2009, 7:59 am

Dawn of War 2 is awesomeness.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!

that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread post by that one guy » February 6th, 2009, 7:06 am

Little Busters holds a spell over me....the translation can not come fast enough.

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Atriel » February 6th, 2009, 8:48 pm

ayadew wrote:Dawn of War 2 is awesomeness.
That's a visual novel? I thought it was a videogame...
If you disagree, you are wrong.

abscess

Unread post by abscess » February 7th, 2009, 1:55 am

Atriel wrote:
ayadew wrote:Dawn of War 2 is awesomeness.
That's a visual novel? I thought it was a videogame...
From wikipedia:
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II is an upcoming 2009 real-time strategy video game developed by Relic Entertainment[...]
Beta
Dawn of War II was released to the public for beta testing on January 21, 2009, and it is scheduled to run until the game's release date of February 19, 2009.
It's not a VN, it's an RTS. She probably mistook the game thread for the VN one. Would ask why is it so "awesome", but that would be offtopic :P
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by ayadew » February 7th, 2009, 9:59 am

Uhm yes, lol
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!

solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread post by solopy567 » February 8th, 2009, 1:07 am

Here is a VN I recommend you guys stay away from.

Pretty Soldier Wars A.D 2048

The game sucked on multiple levels. A very bland and medicore tactical roleplaying game, with tentacle rape that is 2 panels long. This game can't even be called an epic fail. It's just pure fail.

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » February 8th, 2009, 1:14 am

solopy567 wrote:Here is a VN I recommend you guys stay away from.

Pretty Soldier Wars A.D 2048

The game sucked on multiple levels. A very bland and medicore tactical roleplaying game, with tentacle rape that is 2 panels long. This game can't even be called an epic fail. It's just pure fail.
Agreed.

I'm also looking into Phantom of Inferno, a recent Nitroplus fanboyism, I suppose?

But according to the PoF wiki...
--------------------

English DVD version

The DVD version of the game, translated to English and distributed by Hirameki International, is known to suffer a variety of problems.

The game can be difficult to play on a PC, as many media players will not display the video and subtitles properly or at all. Two known media players that do work include VLC and PowerDVD. VLC will run with no problems, including allowing you to fast forward through scenes with the slider bar, but the password system will give you a blank screen if you attempt to use it. PowerDVD will run fine as well, but sometimes it will not let you use the slider bar to fast forward through scenes, which can make it more time consuming to replay the game and obtain different endings. PowerDVD also has a working fast-forward option, however it can to cause the player to freeze up and stop responding at certain scenes.

In addition to that, the DVD version removed the save/load system from the PC version, replacing it with a password system to jump to selected points in the story. The CG gallery was also removed in porting, and there is no way to go back and re-read the text in previous scenes. The English subtitles also suffer from various quality issues, such as a large amount of typo or grammar mistakes, liberal translations, and they sometimes fail to show up at certain points in the story. One particular instance has the character Cal say "Thanks" in the English subtitles, at a time when Zwei is asking her about her age.

Are you serious? A VISUAL NOVEL without a Save / Load feature, and it's played in a MEDIA PLAYER? NO CG gallery either?! IS THERE NO HOPE?(For us English speakers)

inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread post by inferno_flamex » February 8th, 2009, 9:40 am

sigh...

At least you guys could still play it.. So dont complain...

Anyway.. All i gotta say to respond to that is...

"Prepare a LOOONG piece of paper..."

A little note-book wouldnt hurt either...
You know? So that you could keep your passwords clean and organised...

But imho... Dont let the 'no-save' thing scare you... The game is one of the few VNs that i've actually enjoyed.

Honestly.. Im no gun-geek... that means im not that into 'guns' other than 'how big of a hole it would make', and i have absolutely no idea of their names in general... Im living in a country where selling/buying guns are illegal, that's why probably..

But i can tell you that some gun-related scenes, did make me drool in my seat... Which had never happenned to me before...

~EDIT~

Oh yeah... I almost forgot to mention that the english DVD port of the game has no H-scenes..

NONE!...
Absolutely CUT-OFF!!

Not like Realta Nua kinda of way.. But Absolutely DELETED...
Just tot i'd let you guys know before any of you make that purchase...
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ

solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread post by solopy567 » February 8th, 2009, 12:19 pm

All the problems Phantom of Inferno has are very unattractive, and that's why I won't get that game. Its cons completely ruins its identity as a VN