Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by abscess » October 21st, 2008, 6:25 pm

IceCold_Asssassin wrote:I think im the only one here that didnt think Ever17 was that great.
i mean yeah i liked it but i didnt think it was in the top 5
I wouldn't know, I only got You's and... the-girl-with-the-black-hair-whose-name-I-can't-remember endings
► Show Spoiler
. They weren't all that great, really. I often read the usual "OMG Cocco's route is o-sum! STFU and finish it!" comment, but none of the characters have really grabbed me that much to keep me really interested. I WILL finish it, but not right now.

I started playing Divi-Dead some time ago, and I got one ending
► Show Spoiler
and left me.... unsatisfied. I'll leave it for now and concentrate in some other stuff, but that's another one I plan on finishing, but more because of nostalgia than anything else.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » October 21st, 2008, 7:00 pm

abscess wrote:
IceCold_Asssassin wrote:I think im the only one here that didnt think Ever17 was that great.
I wouldn't know, I only got You's and... the-girl-with-the-black-hair-whose-name-I-can't-remember endings
► Show Spoiler
. They weren't all that great, really. I often read the usual "OMG Cocco's route is o-sum! STFU and finish it!" comment, but none of the characters have really grabbed me that much to keep me really interested. I WILL finish it, but not right now.
Hmmm, yeah You's ending was the first real ending I got as well... But, you never even tried Takeshi's paths!?
Well, on the bright side, you have the more interesting characters left. Most likely you'll like Takeshi's perspective a lot better than the kid's. So basically it probably only gets better from there :D

abscess

Unread post by abscess » October 21st, 2008, 7:16 pm

X-Calibar wrote:
abscess wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Hmmm, yeah You's ending was the first real ending I got as well... But, you never even tried Takeshi's paths!?
Well, on the bright side, you have the more interesting characters left. Most likely you'll like Takeshi's perspective a lot better than the kid's. So basically it probably only gets better from there :D
I do hope you are right, because I'm still yet to feel my precious cash was put in good use. I did play a bit of Takeshi's perspective, and I liked to know that this character actually has a name, I never could really get interested in the kid.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread post by metal_cocoabo » October 21st, 2008, 8:55 pm

abcess wrote:I often read the usual "OMG Cocco's route is o-sum! STFU and finish it!" comment, but none of the characters have really grabbed me that much to keep me really interested.

I did play a bit of Takeshi's perspective, and I liked to know that this character actually has a name, I never could really get interested in the kid.
I know you heard this many times before but keep at it. You'll get to know who the Kid really is in Coco's path.

Actually, I had the same problem in the beginning: None of the heroine's stories were actually that interesting. But again, Coco's path fixes that. Think of it this way: you play Ever17 to play Coco's path. Nothing else matters. :lol:

Unread post by Message » October 22nd, 2008, 6:05 am

abscess wrote:I started playing Divi-Dead some time ago, and I got one ending
► Show Spoiler
and left me.... unsatisfied. I'll leave it for now and concentrate in some other stuff, but that's another one I plan on finishing, but more because of nostalgia than anything else.
Heh, I remember that... You got the default ending. It doesn't explain anything, it just ends. You really need to play Divi-Dead with a walkthrough (the 300kB one on gamefaqs is recommended), the game's complicated as hell and extremely difficult to beat on your own. The real endings are a lot more interesting. Still mindrape though, but that's what we're playing it for.

IceCold_Asssassin
Crack Addic!

Unread post by IceCold_Asssassin » October 23rd, 2008, 3:57 am

Message wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Heh, I remember that... You got the default ending. It doesn't explain anything, it just ends. You really need to play Divi-Dead with a walkthrough (the 300kB one on gamefaqs is recommended), the game's complicated as hell and extremely difficult to beat on your own. The real endings are a lot more interesting. Still mindrape though, but that's what we're playing it for.
► Show Spoiler
i might start playing divi dead again.

abscess

Unread post by abscess » October 23rd, 2008, 4:33 am

Message wrote:
► Show Spoiler
I do enjoy mindrapes (... that kinda sounds a bit wrong :lol:) but some of the twists felt a bit... not exactly forced or expected, but something like that, such as
► Show Spoiler
I would have liked some more info on them. The ending I got was
► Show Spoiler

IceCold_Asssassin
Crack Addic!

Unread post by IceCold_Asssassin » October 23rd, 2008, 6:04 am

I got that same ending abscess

Unread post by Message » October 23rd, 2008, 7:41 am

Yes, that's the default ending. Azusa is her name, btw. Hell, if I still know that after this long... Yeah, I liked this game. :) Those strange twists you mentioned are indeed explained a lot better in the Sachiko ending, probably in Haruko as well. Ah yes, and note that the two Sachiko endings are indeed 100% the same, except for a few lines early on. Don't make my mistake of going through both of them. :P
I still have the Haruko ending to play, I'm saving it until I've forgotten most of the story again. I wonder how long it's been since I last touched the game...

Everyone, I've locked the other "Good visual novels" discussion thead, responses to that thread will be made here. The thread can be read at: viewtopic.php?t=2422

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » November 23rd, 2008, 5:23 pm

Found a free online english visual novel I haven't seen anyone mention...
"Aching Dreams"
It's more of a short fantasy H-game than interesting story or plot. Will run you at least 2 hours or so trying to get all the endings. But, it's all about the adventures with the two girls and yourself. Not a sex romp, but plenty to be found..
EDIT: Oh and it has some RPG elements in that you have to train / earn money / buy at shop. They are minimal, but important.
It's a Flash based game at New Grounds website, but be warned it has NSFW images in-game :P

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/427801
To skip text hold down the space bar.

Author's website : http://www.hentaicook.com/
Developer : Rosewood Games
There's no sound or music in the game sadly, but a second version that will cost 15$ or so will be voiced and have new features. This one is free though.

EDIT: This is okay to post right?
Well here's one more free 'Visual Novel-Like' game...

Something like this could be in the future for a type of Visual Novel...?
http://www.interactivestory.net/

This interactive simulation called Facade.
► Show Spoiler
... lol well after playing it I have to say it's Interesting, but still a long ways off. Couldn't stand them either lol. I ended up walking out on them, hearing "Wait!! Don't go!!", calling after me. lol...
You have to use as short a phrase or single words as possible to get the meaning across. Pretty problematic currently. Still, it'll be interesting if one day you have a combination of the 3d engine visual novel, and a fluid dialogue system like this. [although I'd like to have an option for pauses in dialogue like VNs have.]

abscess

Unread post by abscess » November 23rd, 2008, 7:25 pm

Hm! That Facade thing looks interesting! I can't wait to make them fight as I hook up with a bottle of scotch and see how things turn out! :lol:
Does it say in what programming language it was written?

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » November 23rd, 2008, 10:02 pm

abscess wrote:Hm! That Facade thing looks interesting! I can't wait to make them fight as I hook up with a bottle of scotch and see how things turn out! :lol:
Does it say in what programming language it was written?
I don't see it on their main site.. maybe in the forums?
lol and don't expect too much from it... It seems like everyone's experience with this game simulation varies. Some hate it REAL fast lol It's kind of tough getting your point across without them misunderstanding... at least in my experience. And you have to be somewhat fast or they quickly move on. lol
I just ended up watching them fall apart and made rude remarks now and then, till they kicked me out lol [first time] Second time, I tried to help them and they just got confused yelled and I just got up and walked out lol. Haven't tried it again since lol

IceCold_Asssassin
Crack Addic!

Unread post by IceCold_Asssassin » November 26th, 2008, 11:57 am

ok guys i need some help.
i REALLY need a new vn to play. but idk which one to buy. VN's are pretty expensive now a days so i wanna get some recommendations before i buy something.
ive played and enjoyed the following
Kana little sister.
Snow sakura
Ever17
Crescendo.
Figures of happiness
Divi-Dead
and of course the tm visual novels.
"Now Say, Fuzzy Pickles!"

Unread post by Message » November 26th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Must get: Phantom of Inferno and Planetarian.
Could get: Hourglass of Summer

IceCold_Asssassin
Crack Addic!

Unread post by IceCold_Asssassin » November 26th, 2008, 12:15 pm

I wanna get Phantom of inferno. but its on a dvd.
but i guess i could play it on my 360 amirite?
ive heard good things about Planetarian, like it was the next kana or something.

metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread post by metal_cocoabo » November 26th, 2008, 12:20 pm

Why not wait for the chaos;HEAd translation? From what I heard, it's almost finished.

Unread post by Message » November 26th, 2008, 12:30 pm

IceCold_Asssassin wrote:I wanna get Phantom of inferno. but its on a dvd.
but i guess i could play it on my 360 amirite?
Don't have a 360 but if it can play DVD it should be able to. If you want to play PoI on the PC you are more or less stuck to PowerDVD, as it creates a virtual machine that simulates a standalone DVD player and thereby is the only piece of software that can handle this DVD at a remotely acceptable level.

IceCold_Asssassin
Crack Addic!

Unread post by IceCold_Asssassin » November 26th, 2008, 12:39 pm

only problem that i really have is that, no save points and i hate passwords. but I guess ill give it a shot.
thx message.

CSXLoser
Addict

Unread post by CSXLoser » November 26th, 2008, 5:55 pm

finished Snow Sakura yesterday.

Thinking about getting Figures of Happiness...

I1nk
Crack Addic!

Unread post by I1nk » December 24th, 2008, 4:31 am

Well I like When they cry (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) I haven't gotten all the way though yet, and I am not sure how far they are in the trans. Also it is an easy one to get since you can download it for 1000 yen (I really do not remember the price, but it is somewhere in that range.)
"Night closed night, other night, night pain, night sink, is night/stay night."