Non-TypeMoon VN questions and recommendations

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Einherjar » July 22nd, 2008, 6:53 pm

Just read A Dream of Summer. Haven't had anything emotional in a while.
"...Whatever."
"...Not interested."

LoSs
Addict

Unread post by LoSs » July 23rd, 2008, 6:53 am

TakaJun wrote: Hmm, donno about the art, but I agree it's a great game.

I recently played the trial of Kira Kira Curtain Call, and it was good! I'm looking forward to it along with Edelweiss Phantasia :D
Yeah, i wanna try Sakura's route too. Just finished あまかみバンパイア, it was pretty fun to tease Kuro and titless Nashio

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » July 23rd, 2008, 3:31 pm

LoSs wrote:
Yeah, i wanna try Sakura's route too. Just finished あまかみバンパイア, it was pretty fun to tease Kuro and titless Nashio
once again.... please put the titles in romanji or english, most of us here dont get anything moonspeak-wise :?
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

LoSs
Addict

Unread post by LoSs » July 23rd, 2008, 4:41 pm

Catastrophe wrote:once again.... please put the titles in romanji or english, most of us here dont get anything moonspeak-wise :?
Amakami Vampire - it written on hiragana/katakana, so i thought it is easy to read. Also you have vndb.org

SPerson
Addict

Unread post by SPerson » July 31st, 2008, 6:38 pm

Finally got to playing Chaos;HEAD trial, very good so far, I'm thinking of importing it now

X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread post by X-Calibar » August 31st, 2008, 12:05 am

Hmmm is this a S-RPG / Visual Novel?? Coming to the PS2 in english...
Eternal Poison / (Poison Pink)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgCw8UjtL8Q http://www.poison-pink.com/

http://www.atlus.com/eternalpoison/
Anybody played it? Is it any good?

Oh and did anyone try Grim Grimoire for the PS2?
This one's definitely a Strategy / Visual Novel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amOE2dFTJP0 http://nippon1.jp/consumer/grimgrimoire/index.html

http://www.nisamerica.com/games/grimgrimoire/
How is this one? :O (well I just ordered it... guess I'll find out :P)

Bigweejoe
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Bigweejoe » September 4th, 2008, 9:01 am

Got Around To Playing Clannad And WOW What A Game Only Have 14% Cg Right Now But I am Really Enjoying it.
► Show Spoiler
Ive seen the man use the needle, seen the needle use that man
Ive seen them crawl from the cradle to the coffin on their hands
They fight a war but its fatal, its so hard to understand.

Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Einherjar » September 4th, 2008, 8:39 pm

X-Calibar wrote:Hmmm is this a S-RPG / Visual Novel?? Coming to the PS2 in english...
Eternal Poison / (Poison Pink)

http://www.atlus.com/eternalpoison/
Anybody played it? Is it any good?
The US release date is November, and is an S-RPG.
X-Calibar wrote: Oh and did anyone try Grim Grimoire for the PS2?
This one's definitely a Strategy / Visual Novel
http://www.nisamerica.com/games/grimgrimoire/
How is this one? :O (well I just ordered it... guess I'll find out :P)
From what I heard, you're a girl trying to solve deja vu. Unique gameplay.

that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread post by that one guy » September 4th, 2008, 9:03 pm

I can't really decide what to get next...any suggestions of one that's in English? Preferrably none of the pro translated ones, because I've played all the good ones...unless there's some really obscure one out there. And also, just so I can say it, I think I am one of three people on the internet that didn't like Kana.

Bigweejoe
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Bigweejoe » September 5th, 2008, 12:22 am

that one guy wrote:I can't really decide what to get next...any suggestions of one that's in English? Preferrably none of the pro translated ones, because I've played all the good ones...unless there's some really obscure one out there. And also, just so I can say it, I think I am one of three people on the internet that didn't like Kana.
You Should Give Clannad A Try There Is An English Patch Out For it. Also One -The Radiant Season(Also Has A Patch Out For It). Both Are Very Good.

that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread post by that one guy » September 5th, 2008, 2:26 am

Thanks for the tip. I actually did One, and got all but the secret ending. Personally, I think the game was slightly above average at best, with two of the routes outright sucking, and the others being "meh" for the most part. Nanase and Misaki were my favorites. Mio was OK. Shiina and Nagamori were terrible. Nagamori would be terrible regardless, but because she's such a generic character I couldn't get in to it at all, and Shiina....lets just not talk about Shiina.

Bigweejoe
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Bigweejoe » September 5th, 2008, 12:52 pm

that one guy wrote:Thanks for the tip. I actually did One, and got all but the secret ending. Personally, I think the game was slightly above average at best, with two of the routes outright sucking, and the others being "meh" for the most part. Nanase and Misaki were my favorites. Mio was OK. Shiina and Nagamori were terrible. Nagamori would be terrible regardless, but because she's such a generic character I couldn't get in to it at all, and Shiina....lets just not talk about Shiina.
Haha I seemed to onlyy get bad endings
► Show Spoiler

Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Phlebas » September 5th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Bigweejoe wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]

TakaJun

Unread post by TakaJun » September 5th, 2008, 2:51 pm

Just finished playing Moshiraba (もしも明日が晴れならば)
A really great game. Will recommend!
that one guy wrote:Thanks for the tip. I actually did One, and got all but the secret ending. Personally, I think the game was slightly above average at best, with two of the routes outright sucking, and the others being "meh" for the most part. Nanase and Misaki were my favorites. Mio was OK. Shiina and Nagamori were terrible. Nagamori would be terrible regardless, but because she's such a generic character I couldn't get in to it at all, and Shiina....lets just not talk about Shiina.
You have to remember that the game is really old.
It was really good at the time.
I personally liked Misaki and Nanase too. Nanase route was funny as hell.
And yes, let's not talk about Shiina... or the game's Hscenes...

Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Rikh » September 5th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Its probably stated one too many times in this thread, but i have to say it

VN wise, Ever 17 is remarkable.
here are my reasons

Playable as multiple characters
Very interesting mysteries
very original plot
very minimal plot holes, very very minimal
great soundtrack
Remarkable good/bad endings
completely different stories for heroines
and the most remarkable tie-all-the-loop-holes-together-into-a-tight-knot-ending!!!

if you played ever 17 and you were confused or annoyed after one route, don't quit, go through some more routes and SEE if you can figure out the mystery behind the game before you unlock the last ending :)
(had the most fulfilling ending ive ever seen honestly)

Fate and Tsukihime though are games that are obsessive to me :) they rock!

im gonna try out family project very soon :)

Bigweejoe
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Bigweejoe » September 5th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Rikh wrote:Its probably stated one too many times in this thread, but i have to say it

VN wise, Ever 17 is remarkable.
here are my reasons

Playable as multiple characters
Very interesting mysteries
very original plot
very minimal plot holes, very very minimal
great soundtrack
Remarkable good/bad endings
completely different stories for heroines
and the most remarkable tie-all-the-loop-holes-together-into-a-tight-knot-ending!!!

if you played ever 17 and you were confused or annoyed after one route, don't quit, go through some more routes and SEE if you can figure out the mystery behind the game before you unlock the last ending :)
(had the most fulfilling ending ive ever seen honestly)

Fate and Tsukihime though are games that are obsessive to me :) they rock!

im gonna try out family project very soon :)
I Liked Ever 17 But It Wasn't A Game i Could go And Get Every Ending. It Just Felt To Long And Repetitive To Me.

About Clannad
► Show Spoiler

Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Phlebas » September 5th, 2008, 6:10 pm

Bigweejoe wrote:I Liked Ever 17 But It Wasn't A Game i Could go And Get Every Ending. It Just Felt To Long And Repetitive To Me.
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but sounds like you've fallen to your presuppositions. Since you say it felt repetitive I can safely presume you've only played one or two routes, and maybe started on one more. At that point I'd say this is a pretty normal point of view, but the thing is... you won't even know what the story... no, what the game is about yet. You may think you do, and that's where you go wrong. Frankly without clearing every route in the game you won't even be on the same page. And I'm not just saying this with some kind of elitist feeling; unless you've been destroyed by spoilers, when you've cleared all except the last route you will be totally befuzzled (and craving for more), the more so if you've actually been paying attention and trying to work everything out - despite already being several times wiser than after clearing one or two routes.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]

ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by ayadew » September 5th, 2008, 7:33 pm

I only played Tsugumi's route, and I found it very affecting and good. It even stated a philosophical question I'd never seen before or thought about (that's a sure way to impress me at least)
Despite this I havn't felt the want to play more, mostly because I found Tsugumi the most interesting character to begin with.

The game's storydesign is very intelligent and I do not doubt that it holds many secrets, but the repetitive nature of the overall design really puts me off... but I know it's worth it, I'll try to play more.
Hmm Sora is quite interesting too, I'll likely go for her next.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!

Bigweejoe
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Bigweejoe » September 5th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Phlebas wrote:
Bigweejoe wrote:I Liked Ever 17 But It Wasn't A Game i Could go And Get Every Ending. It Just Felt To Long And Repetitive To Me.
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but sounds like you've fallen to your presuppositions. Since you say it felt repetitive I can safely presume you've only played one or two routes, and maybe started on one more. At that point I'd say this is a pretty normal point of view, but the thing is... you won't even know what the story... no, what the game is about yet. You may think you do, and that's where you go wrong. Frankly without clearing every route in the game you won't even be on the same page. And I'm not just saying this with some kind of elitist feeling; unless you've been destroyed by spoilers, when you've cleared all except the last route you will be totally befuzzled (and craving for more), the more so if you've actually been paying attention and trying to work everything out - despite already being several times wiser than after clearing one or two routes.
Yeah I Agree With You There Only Done 2 Routes And Started on A Third So You Could Say i Don't Know The Whole Picture. But I Found They Pretty Much Start Off The Same And Its The Same Theme Throughout So You Could Say My Judgment Is Totally One Sided Considering i Haven't Completed it 100%.

Don't Get Me Wrong The 2 Routes i Did Where Fantastic I Just Couldn't Bring My Self To Skip/Reading The Same Old Text(Which Its Self Was Long Considering The length Of The Game) So You Could say I Lack Patience. Yeah A Read Abit About Spoilers So I Sort Of Know Some Of The Other Routes So To Speak. So In Short Its A Great Game But At The Same Time I Just Couldn't Bring Myself To Skip/Read The long Amount of text For Another Ending.

ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by ayadew » September 5th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Please Don't Write Like This =(
I really can't/don't want to read it
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!