wanting to learn japanese or at least to read it

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

wanting to learn japanese or at least to read it

Unread postby eastyy » June 28th, 2005, 8:22 am

i have ordered books and looked at websites but cannot find the thing i am really after
the very very basic stuff the stuff that a child starting at school would learn anyone got any recomendations
eastyy
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby Arcueid » June 29th, 2005, 4:09 pm

my sister has this tape thing you listen too that teaches you the basics i'll ask her about it......
"I guess i don't like imaginary things after all."
Arcueid
Might just like this board

Unread postby Ryuusoul » July 14th, 2005, 8:13 pm

Of course you will have to supplement this with other things. But the best bang for your buck and time spent in terms of reading the Chinese characters used in Japanese is James Heisig's Remembering the Kanji series.

He has three books. The first teaches you how to write them and their meaning. The second teaches you compounds and pronunciations. His method is interesting (imaginative memory) and doesn't require you to write the kanji over and over again. You can get them off of half.com or amazon.com for relatively cheap. Highly recommended from me, for what it's worth. The third (which I haven't even read...I'm still in the midst of the second) is crazy-advanced kanji (like doctorate level) you won't need for everday usage/reading.
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby eastyy » July 15th, 2005, 7:53 am

i have now several books
one book i have is fantastic i cannot remember the name but this is why its great.
it gives about 2000 symbols for each symbol it gives the meaning (also if that symbol is made out of several other symbols it give the meaning of them) it give how to pronounce the symbol the history of it and even a example of other words/sentences that use that symbol.And thats for all of them

i have ordered a book on hiragana and katakana from the same publisher i am really going to need that
eastyy
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby Dectilon » July 20th, 2005, 4:05 pm

Slime Forest :D
Dectilon
Crack Desu!

Unread postby TheXev » August 25th, 2005, 5:12 am

Try this thing out that Diachi showed me a few days ago. It only works right in IE though.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Message » August 25th, 2005, 7:01 am

Now THAT is low-threshold learning! I love it. 8)

Unread postby Soulfang » August 27th, 2005, 8:58 pm

If they'd make those girls fully naked on that, anime companies would go out of business here, since all those otaku'd know Japanese. :)
Soulfang
Is this loli?

Unread postby Dectilon » October 19th, 2005, 10:10 pm

Nah, I don't think so. It's not the same thing to be able to read a language and speak it. And it seems to me that a lot of people are afraid to learn a second language. Too few countries sub their stuff :P

The only reason my english is this good is because of subbed tv :)
- "I can't help to be angry when I'm furious!"
Dectilon
Crack Desu!

The best maybe the most expensive.

Unread postby Azkagoth » January 7th, 2006, 4:10 am

I know u dndt ask about it but I think doing japanese class (if u can find one) is a way to learn faster, for example (I know I have some or alot ortographic errors)my language is portuguese, but i can understand a bunch of things in english, by the way the perfection of the reading is get with treining thta maybe attained playng games in japanese or reading books and others, all my treining come from talking as crazy on warcraft 3,the class teaches u the basics and rules and them u train these and understand other things.
Azkagoth
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Dectilon » January 7th, 2006, 11:39 am

Man, don't treat people like idiots. You don't get a lot of friends that way ~~
Dectilon
Crack Desu!

Unread postby md » February 27th, 2006, 10:22 pm

Take one or two semesters of Japanese to learn basic grammar, pronunciation, a handful of kanji, and the syllaberies.

Then get Heisig's books to learn the kanji and improve your vocabulary.

I just got the kanji book after having it recommended over and over by Ryuusol. I've got 100 down in 7 or 8 days.

Seriously, get Heisig if you're serious about learning Japanese, because it is the BEST way. I have an old-school kanji book for drilling yourself over and over again. I never got past 30 on that after years of work.

After that, find some more advanced Japanese courses, ask Ryuu about those--I'm still working on kanji.
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Dectilon » February 28th, 2006, 1:06 am

I got the "Japanese for Busy People" book for my birthday. Sadly, it's the same lame design as in every language book I've ever read. It's like they are all made by the same person. :P

I've learned all the english I know by watching tv and playing games, and so far I could hop about four chapters because of all the anime I've been watching (and spamming that "Learning Japanese"-game-thingy. Really simple and comfortable way to learn katakana and hiragana). The advantage of the book is of course that I can get the grammar right, as I understand the japanese are a little touch on grammar. :)
Dectilon
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Shorack » July 19th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Dectilon wrote:I got the "Japanese for Busy People" book for my birthday. Sadly, it's the same lame design as in every language book I've ever read. It's like they are all made by the same person. :P

What is the problem with the book? we used it during the evening lessons and it was quite good (but it had some (a word or 15-20) stupid vocabulary that you'll never use like control-panel-user -or something like that-)

If you want to try it a bit different, search for Le Japonais Sans Peine (Asimil), but it is in French, so being able to read that could prove useful ;)
Shorack's Posts Are Magnificent.
(i didn't come up with this ;))
Oh, i might have a big ego, but that is still better then no ego, right?
Shorack
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Xavier » December 31st, 2006, 2:27 am

Man, I'm a trilingual and let me tell you something. It's hard to learn a new language if your old.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Dtrini » January 3rd, 2007, 3:53 am

the only thing i tried was pimsleur. its just audio.
Dtrini
Addict

Unread postby Xavier » January 26th, 2007, 9:03 pm

http://pepper.idge.net/japanese/
I literally laughed out loud.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atvaark » February 8th, 2007, 4:14 pm

hey! this little japanese learning page is pretty good! (the script with the girls) i was unable to even grasp the basics of japanese, and now i can actually read it!

i still can't grasp what the words mean though..but hey! at least now i can do some basic hiragana to romanji!

by the way, check the character tab on the page, you can make your own char. i made hisui! well, more or less...
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby sharingan0619 » April 10th, 2007, 6:38 pm

does anyone know if the software called "Rosetta stone" works?
they have a six month money back that promises you of mastery of japanese, do you all think its practical?
sharingan0619
Might just like this board

Unread postby miszou » April 11th, 2007, 3:50 am

Atvaark wrote:hey! this little japanese learning page is pretty good! (the script with the girls) i was unable to even grasp the basics of japanese, and now i can actually read it!

i still can't grasp what the words mean though..but hey! at least now i can do some basic hiragana to romanji!

by the way, check the character tab on the page, you can make your own char. i made hisui! well, more or less...

Yeah, I actually used this page some time ago XD The fight with Ryu was very usefull :] And stripping girls might 'encourage' people to learn faster XD

I also remember a visual novel to learn some Japanese once, and a RPG to learn Japanese. You can learn while gaming ^^ I don't know any links tho :(
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to General Chat