Pokemon's saving grace

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Pokemon's saving grace

Unread postby skullreken » May 15th, 2008, 8:28 am

Leave the game aside
Most of us would be inclined to say that the Pokemon anime sucks
I fall into the most category but I always said that pokemon had excelecnt battle music
Most people tend to dissagree with me saying pokemon sucks so therefore the battle music sucks
Well I found a video that proves my point

for the record I never said the Johoto theme wasn't gay
kanu fanboy and proud of it!
skullreken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » May 15th, 2008, 12:07 pm

In my eyes and ears it still sucks balls.
Both dragonball and pokemon-music is very generic and meaningless, generic proven by that the music fits for both and meaningless because it is generic.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby skullreken » May 15th, 2008, 1:05 pm

Your only saying that because it is from Pokemon If you played an instrument or composed anything yourself you'd know different
the composition is brilliant it is a battle theme and the fact that it can transpose into other battle senes that it wasnt written for is proof of this
I wont put it on the same level as Mars, bringer of war but just as that piece can be used to set a mood of fear and dread
this one is able to set the mood for an action packed pumping battle so it is a good piece of music
skullreken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » May 15th, 2008, 1:13 pm

I guess discussing taste is a futile thing. ^^ The video doesn't really prove anything other than that it is generic, what we think about generic things is up to oneself.
I do create many things, both art and music, and I can't see how the presumption that I don't has any relevance to the relative nature of taste..

But I probably just misunderstand the purpose of this thread :p
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby skullreken » May 15th, 2008, 4:15 pm

you do write music? cool I'm allways looking musicians to discus things with
do you have a myspace or are any of your compoisitions on line?
heres my bands myspace http://www.myspace.com/mcgalligog

anyway the point I wanted to make is that although the Pokemon anime sucks
the battle themes are well writen and I think they should not be slated just because they are from that anime
my measure of it being a good battle theme is that it is applicable to more than one anime It works well dragonball
I wouldnt call it generic on thoes grounds I think generic music is that which unoriginal unispired and fails to have any impact
The pokemon battle theme sets the mood for a fast paced exciting battle

I think a good example of crap battle music is the original dragonball/Z battle music it was certainly uninspired
and it didnt even fit in with the anime the pokemon battle music puts an extra burst of energy into that battle
skullreken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » May 15th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Just a little when I feel like it, as with art and texts.. just to let some creativity lose, so I havn't hosted anything. :p

My measure would be that a good theme is very well fit to the medium it's supposed to be with. It is truly rare to see a theme fitting something it wasnt designed for, and this pokemon battle theme isn't an exception. It gets its job done, nothing more,
though I guess it does fit better than the original DBZ music.

In general, people who does assumptions and prejudice to a high extent are not worth my time, to change for the better is to change together.
Another piece of music that's often taken for bad is the Naruto anime's. I fucking hate Naruto, but the music is very good, so check it out of you havn't.
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby skullreken » May 15th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Yeah I love the Naruto sound track
but no to the anime I got fed up with it anime killer thy name it Filler!
Fighting anime is a tough genre to break into animes like DBZ and Fist of the North Star have covered most areas
so it's hard to be new and original all that filler hell Claymore went cliche and started using dbz style power ups at the end
skullreken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » May 15th, 2008, 5:09 pm

I've just read the Claymore manga, it's quite nice despite the obvious shounen elements.. but I guess it's not finished yet.
It's Berserk without awesome, but even thats good enough to read. ;)
I never watch anime if it's based on a manga, there's bound to be fillers and if I see one I can't watch anymore
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Atriel » May 16th, 2008, 12:15 am

skullreken wrote:Mars, bringer of war

All hail Gustav Holst. Though i personally prefer Jupiter. (Yeah, not a battle theme i know.)
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby skullreken » May 16th, 2008, 3:29 pm

ayadew wrote:I never watch anime if it's based on a manga, there's bound to be fillers and if I see one I can't watch anymore

It's one worth watching stays very close to the manga and has no filler but it was designed to be a once off it diverges during the northern campaign
the northern campaign ends with a battle against pricilla they leave off with a hinting that they will go into hiding and return to take on the orginisation but it's been decided that there wont be another series even so it's an acceptable ending and is nowhere as frustrating as the end of berserk

Atriel wrote:Though i personally prefer Jupiter

I like Jupiter more as well it prefer it's up beat and fun rythm
skullreken
Crack Addic!

Return to General Chat