Awesome in-game music.

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Awesome in-game music.

Unread postby Superflonic » May 10th, 2008, 9:01 am

Yeah. We all had them, awesome games with even more awesome music in them. Me? I'm currently listening to the Decisive Battle from FFVI, remix I guess.

But anyway, what games do you know that have great in-game music? Melty blood also falls under this category, but so do lots of other games I don't know about.
Tell me more.
Candlejack, I wonder what hap
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Ciel » May 10th, 2008, 9:04 am

You could say Castlevania. The earlier titles, especially symphony of the night had some great music before they started milking the 2d side of the series for all its worth and creating what seems good, but get tiring after a short while.
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » May 10th, 2008, 9:51 am

Super Robot Wars... I just cant get enough of their BGMs and JAM Project...

F/SN Emiya is also great...
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby skullreken » May 10th, 2008, 10:27 am

Sonic and Knuckles had some great music the bass lines are so cool
I also liked the metal backing tracks in Prince of Persia warrior within
it was great running from the Dahaka with Godsmack playing in the background
kanu fanboy and proud of it!
skullreken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » May 10th, 2008, 11:31 am

All Final Fantasy of course.. favourites ever are..
Chaos Legion, Baldur's Gate, Castlevania, Guilty Gear, Metroid, Zone of the Enders, EVE Online, Devil May Cry, all of the Kirby games, Planescape Torment, Xenosaga.... and quite alot more I forget now
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Maes » May 10th, 2008, 11:39 am

Final Fantasy VI(well, all FF games that I can think of, but VI was my favorite), Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, possibly some of the best video game music ever. The background music in Mechwarrior 2 and Ghost Bear's Legacy was amazing as well, again maybe some of the best game music ever. I also really like the music from the Touhou games. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time had an awesome sound track, as did Civilzation 4. I know I'm leaving some out, but those are the ones that immediately jump out at me when thinking of great game music.
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Henduluin » May 10th, 2008, 12:56 pm

Advance Wars. All of them.
These soundtracks are so good in fact, that they alone are worth buying the game for >.>

Homeworld has some really great music that fits the game perfectly.

And more recently, The world ends with you has a killer soundtrack as well.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ayadew » May 10th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Homeworld is nice, yes.. the intro with adagio for strings is memorable
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby lolipedofin » May 10th, 2008, 3:23 pm

I think Visual Novels got some of the best music in game industry... this is arguable, but since music plays integral part in the playing experience of VNs, it's no wonder that they got some of the sweetest musics.

Most Key's Games got great in-game music... The one that stand out to me is CLANNAD... I love most of the piano instrumental, and sometimes use them as lullaby.... Seriously, KyoAni got an easy job in the music department whenever they're adapting Key's Games.

The other would be, Nobuo Uematsu's, as some also point out, FF musics are outstanding. One of my life biggest regret is not watching the FF Orchestra Recital at Jakarta, i came to know the event after it ended... :cry: :cry:
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby yud1 » May 10th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Ever After: Musics from Tsukihime is also good (at least to my ears :P ), but unfortunately some of the tracks are just too short. some FF compilations are also good, personally I liked FF compositions mainly of FFVII/VIII/VI.

...whoops. almost forgot Guilty Gear installments. not to everyone's preference probably, but I found it enjoyable.
yud1
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » May 11th, 2008, 2:48 am

Metroid and Castlevania ftw
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby md » May 11th, 2008, 4:25 am

Loom was designed around Tchaikovsky.

Starcontrol 2 has great music from a number of well-known composers from the tracking scene.
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Atriel » May 11th, 2008, 4:31 am

Final Fantasy. (Only played V,VI & VII) Both World Map themes, Aerith's Theme, Tifa's Theme, Cyan's Theme, Cid's Theme, etc... etc... etc...
Zelda. Ocarina... makes me teary :< Temple of Time, Saria's Song, Epona's Song, Gerudo Valley, etc... etc... etc...
Castlevania. Wood Carving Partita, Bloody Tears, Dracula's Castle, etc...

Man... now i want to learn them all <.<
Last edited by Atriel on May 11th, 2008, 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » May 11th, 2008, 4:32 am

Why would the music from OoT make you cry?
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby TheXev » May 11th, 2008, 4:33 am

Battle Theme Medley [Golden Sun] - Super Smash Bros. Brawl OST

There is a god, and his name is MOTOI SAKURABA!!!!
Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Valkyrie Profile, Golden Sun.... Mario Tenis? O_o

Anyway, the man is god. This one track makes the entire Smash Bros. Brawl OST worth it... the rest seems mostly like a let down to me (why are Zelda tracks always... suck?)
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » May 11th, 2008, 4:36 am

Wow, then you must have one strange taste in music. I'd say a good 70% of the music in brawl is exceptional. The zelda music especially.

Now, that Golden Sun Medley is Godlike, but I'm just baffled as to why the hell they threw it on Norfair. Seriously? How the fuck is GS and Metroid even remotely related? I assumed it was going to be put in the Zelda or FE stages. Strange, but w/e, at least I like Norfair. Sucks for those who hate it.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » May 11th, 2008, 4:37 am

Because i love Ocarina of Time. (It doesn't make me cry :lol: it was just a way of saying that i love it)
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » May 11th, 2008, 4:44 am

So do I (although I still say MM is FAR better, but that's just my own subjective view), but it doesn't make my eyes watery. Now, when I hear Libera Me From Hell, then I get tears goin', but still.

What did you think of the OoT Medley in Brawl? I just LOVE how it climaxes with the Lost Woods theme, which is one of my favorite songs from all of the Zelda series (right after the Song of Storms and Gerudo Valley).

EDIT: Hah, I see you edited your last post, you sly bastard :wink:
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » May 11th, 2008, 4:46 am

I had to buy new panties after i heard it. (Memories of playing Zelda flashed back at that moment.)

That enough?
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » May 11th, 2008, 4:50 am

Well I won't lie...the first time I heard the super sexy awesome part of the Medley on the dojo...my eyes got a bit wet. It was just so fucking...epic.

Speaking of epic, despite being terribley easy, Twilight Princess had some REALLY epic music for the boss fights. I remember the Water Temple's boss, and I was on that bitch's back, Link stabbing the hell out of it's orb and the music was just simply perfect for that situation: matched the pace of what was going on AND felt epic. God damn, TP had some epic fights.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to General Chat