Anime endings that ticked you off

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby TheXev » May 9th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Scrapped Princess
Oh yeah, this one pissed me off. Even had a conversation about it on IRC a few days ago... oddly enough. Its like, they took the last 3 eps, and stuffed in an entire season worth of stuff at the end. I thought the show was well paced and was very good, but then it just suddenly climaxes and to much stuff happens. After the ending, I wanted all the time back that I spent watching the series to begin with.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » May 11th, 2008, 2:51 am

99% of the anime here that have shitty endings are so because they cut off from the manga. For example:

Berserk, Claymore, Gantz, and so many more are FAR better in manga format.

And Berserk is the greatest manga of all time. Older than most of the people here. And as I've put it so many times:

Berserk - the only manga where when someone mentions horse rape, its fans answer with, "which one?"
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » May 11th, 2008, 2:55 am

Yeah, Berserk is damn amazing.

But i do wonder if i will live to see the end of it.

Edit: Can't forget about the tit-bite. That was legendary.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby skullreken » May 11th, 2008, 9:16 am

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:99% of the anime here that have shitty endings are so because they cut off from the manga. For example:

Berserk, Claymore, Gantz, and so many more are FAR better in manga format.

And Berserk is the greatest manga of all time. Older than most of the people here. And as I've put it so many times:

Berserk - the only manga where when someone mentions horse rape, its fans answer with, "which one?"

Agree with you an all points there
i guess we all owe a debth of gratitude to the anime end for encouraging us to find out what happens next in the manga
kanu fanboy and proud of it!
skullreken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » May 11th, 2008, 3:27 pm

Atriel wrote:Yeah, Berserk is damn amazing.

But i do wonder if i will live to see the end of it.

Edit: Can't forget about the tit-bite. That was legendary.

Some people thought Berserk was a lifetime commitment. No, they were wrong. Berserk is an eternal commitment. It won't end. Your children won't see the end of it, nor your children's children, nor your children's children's children, and so forth. It will never end.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Phlebas » May 11th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:99% of the anime here that have shitty endings are so because they cut off from the manga. For example:

Berserk,

Um actually Berserk isn't a good example because it doesn't have a shitty ending because it deviates from the manga. Actually it follows it much closer than usual (the differences are mainly for pacing reasons) and the ending is straight from the manga - although in manga it's not an ending of any kind of course, it's only been decided to be the most suitable cut-off point with a limited timeframe. If they could've made it two seasons long they probably could've structured the anime so that it would show the whole 'flashback' part of the story (but I'm not sure if that was even complete yet when they started planning the anime) - this is without any evaluation of whether that would actually make a better series.
Sure they could've shown Gatts and the girl getting rescued but that would've required more scenes before and after (now they left the whole character out who would rescue them) and it probably would've left the ending pretty anticlimatic - not like that would've been any more of a 'real' ending since all of this is only the starting point of the manga anyway.

So it basically has a shitty ending because rather than trying to 'create' an ending where there isn't one in the original they opt for the other strategy of simply leaving it hanging. To have a 'proper' ending they would've had to dramatically change/make up story. Actually haven't seen the GantZ anime but sounds to me like it has the same type of ending where they just show up to a certain point and then stop with some mad cliffhanger rather than trying to wrap it up somehow (correct me if I'm mistaken).
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » May 11th, 2008, 6:08 pm

I just threw in Berserk because it was one of the series which the manga was superior, that is all. Otherwise I had no problem with the anime (other than the fact that they cut out an entire volume and edited out a bunch of stuff). Trust me, I'm probably the biggest Berserk fan here. I own every single volume that has come out in both the US AND Japan.

Oh and his name is Guts, btw.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Gram49 » May 11th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Initial D 4th stage
The anime ended with them racing god hand and god foot which was amazing but it couldn't possibly constitute as an ending because they never explained anything about what project d's stood for or it's true purpose was.
Gram49
Addict

Unread postby pchunter » May 12th, 2008, 1:54 am

lolipedofin wrote: ...@Pchunter: We all know that Code Geass R2 will come out, ...

it came out a long time ago.. its already on ep 5 (unless you mean the ending for r2), and yea lol i never really liked the whole gundam series...

anyways.. another bad-ending anime is Black Lagoon.

it had such a good intro and middle and end (excluding the last ep) but seriously, did they have to end it like that?! They should at least have an ending story, and not end right after the climax. And lol, did Revy really kill the nun at the last scene?
pchunter
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Graus » May 12th, 2008, 6:42 pm

TheXev wrote:Scrapped Princess
Oh yeah, this one pissed me off. Even had a conversation about it on IRC a few days ago... oddly enough. Its like, they took the last 3 eps, and stuffed in an entire season worth of stuff at the end. I thought the show was well paced and was very good, but then it just suddenly climaxes and to much stuff happens. After the ending, I wanted all the time back that I spent watching the series to begin with.

Fully agree with you there TheXev, the ending made me ;RAGE; pretty good back then.
Graus
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Atriel » May 12th, 2008, 7:06 pm

pchunter wrote:anyways.. another bad-ending anime is Black Lagoon.

it had such a good intro and middle and end (excluding the last ep) but seriously, did they have to end it like that?! They should at least have an ending story, and not end right after the climax. And lol, did Revy really kill the nun at the last scene?

Revy is da shit! <.<. I can't clearly remember the ending, i just know it was kinda simple, but not the worst i have seen anyway. I just wish that the manga scans get past that point of the anime and see what else happens.

I second Trinity Blood. What a crappy ending.
There's Shakugan no Shana too... but i actually hated all of the second season. Painfully boring.
Great Teacher Onizuka. As said, because it got cut off.

There's probably more but i can't remember.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Graus » May 12th, 2008, 7:27 pm

Atriel wrote:I second Trinity Blood. What a crappy ending.
There's probably more but i can't remember.

I third that, also adding to the pile, I, My, Me - Strawberry Eggs.
Honestly WTF at the ending.
Graus
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » May 13th, 2008, 4:00 am

Black Lagoon ended because it caught up with the manga. Simple as that. The current manga arc so far is far better then the entirety of the anime put together. I seriously hope they animate it in 3-5 years.

Also, no Revy didn't shoot Eda. They're "best friends" if you will.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » May 13th, 2008, 5:25 am

I want a "hot nun best-friend" =(
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby TheXev » May 13th, 2008, 7:41 am

Gram49 wrote:Initial D 4th stage
The anime ended with them racing god hand and god foot which was amazing but it couldn't possibly constitute as an ending because they never explained anything about what project d's stood for or it's true purpose was.

4th stage isn't the end of the series as a whole, so this is a moot point. The comic is still in progress. When your into racing in general, this point in the series shows Takumi's maturity as a race car driver vs how he was at the end of 3rd stage and the beginning of 2nd stage. He has finally stepped into the world of advanced racing and is coming into his own, a true pro. It was a good point to end 4th stage.. although I do not know what layes beyond that point in the plot (i want to knwo, but it seems the manga scanlation stalled before the end of 4th stages plot). 4th stage is the best adaptation to date, only removing one part not included in the comic (a stupid scene with Isuki and the girl he likes). Unlike the first 3 stages, which had plot modifications and such (although most of 1st stage changes where understandable), 4th stage remains nearly identical to the manga... so much in fact, you can literally pause shots, and compare to the comic book.. and they are identical.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby lolipedofin » May 13th, 2008, 10:19 am

Maturity?? more like sheer luck .... To have his opponent throw up meters away from the finish line.... dude, you can always throw up while driving if it means you winning a race.... :lol:

Ahh... can't wait to see more of Takumi's drifting.... where is the 5th seasontage???!!!
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby TheXev » May 13th, 2008, 11:00 pm

lolipedofin wrote:Maturity?? more like sheer luck .... To have his opponent throw up meters away from the finish line.... dude, you can always throw up while driving if it means you winning a race.... :lol:

Ahh... can't wait to see more of Takumi's drifting.... where is the 5th seasontage???!!!

Bunta kicked his ass, without breaking a sweat. That didn't require luck, but skill. I wouldn't' expect Stage 5 out for another 2-3 years, and then I'd expect it to be direct to DVD like 4th stage was. This release pattern was incredibly successful, making Initial D 4th stage DVD release the 2nd highest selling series release of all time in Japan, but still well behind Neon Genesis. It was also probably a shot at people who buy JDM Option. I think it worked brilliantly.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Re: Anime endings that ticked you off

Unread postby Shirosaki » May 14th, 2008, 12:34 am

skullreken wrote:
2. Evangellion tv series
This was one of the prime examples of the budget restrictions ruining an anime
instead of explaining how instrumentality occured out of nowhere we have Shinji trapped in his mind
facing his demons to join the single unified concious it was so sudden and random
I haddent got a clue what was going on
all I can say is thenk god they made the movie and explained most of it

I agree but didn't they try to fix it with real ends to the anime i.e D&R and the new evangelion 1.0/2.0/3.0/4.0(anymore?) so you couldn't really call that an ending.

*As a side note i know the guy who sent the death threat e-mail because of the tv series :3 and even he agrees even though he said he'll rage if he sees another stupid ending......
Shirosaki
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » May 14th, 2008, 1:52 am

I personally think that Gainax is going to pull a Higurashi on us, in that Rebuild takes place after EoE. Proof (or theory):

1. Red Streak on the moon (scene with Kowaru with Moon Lillith).
2. Moon Lillith showing either scars or healing wounds on key points of her body where Lillith Rei fell apart in EoE.
2. Kowaru saying "the Third again? You never change, do you?" and preknowing Shinji's name.

Other things possibly explained:

1. The previously NEVER explained occurence of the Ghost Rei in episode 1 of the series while Shinji awaits Misato, as well as in the first part of Rebuild 1. It's happend multiple times... she may be a remnant of a past Lillith Rei.
2. "The prophecies and predictions" (possible the Dead Sea scolls mentioned in the anime) are just past accounts of this event happening over and over.

Not my ideas, though. /a/ gets credit.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Maes » May 14th, 2008, 6:38 am

Definitely interesting theories, they do make sense, and I wouldn't put it past Gainax to do something like that.
Maes
DESU DESU!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat