question for you drawers.

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

question for you drawers.

Unread postby pchunter » May 7th, 2008, 12:17 am

Hi uhh i guess im trying to start drawing (more for the pc), but when you people draw, do you find it more effective to use a Graphic Tablet or to draw on paper and scan it? Just a random question cause i dont really have a good scanner D:
pchunter
Crack Addic!

Re: question for you drawers.

Unread postby abscess » May 7th, 2008, 1:25 am

pchunter wrote:Hi uhh i guess im trying to start drawing (more for the pc), but when you people draw, do you find it more effective to use a Graphic Tablet or to draw on paper and scan it? Just a random question cause i dont really have a good scanner D:

It really depends. I enjoy graphic tablets since what i draw goes directly to the PC, but I'm not completely comfortable to the position and I'm not really used to it. Drawing with pencil on paper, in my case, is easier and I tend to draw better on it, but to scan the thing... for some reason I don't really like scanners. I get some practice with the paper and then try my luck with the tablet. Hope that helped.

P.S: Do have in mind that I don't draw THAT often or THAT good. You may also like and find useful other answers.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby puKKa » May 7th, 2008, 8:32 am

It generally depends on what type of style you want to use. Generally you can get any style with a tablet but not on paper, it's all about pen-styles and settings.
Using a paper is easier in one way I agree but scanning almost always results in dataloss since paper isnt really a perfect format with smudges and other stuff. Also, scanning then cleaning up and relining it just takes extra time when you could have done it from the start on the PC ;)

So, if you have a tablet, start using it and you'll eventually get used to it. Using a tablet also gives you the magical command of ctrl+z, combined with ~1000 action history in photoshop not much can go wrong on that part ;)

Just a tip, when you are using the tablet you might want to flip the image horizontal back and forth when you feel you need it to be able to draw better since you really can't move around the tablet the same way you can do with a paper.
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby pchunter » May 7th, 2008, 10:28 am

ahhh i c.... but what sizes do u guys use?
pchunter
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Superflonic » May 7th, 2008, 1:52 pm

pchunter wrote:ahhh i c.... but what sizes do u guys use?

Well, I don't really draw that well, but when using a graphics tablet, I only use one that is as big as my screen, so the movement I make on the tablet is the same size as the movement on the screen. But when having a 21" monitor, it's pretty hard to find a matching tablet.
Candlejack, I wonder what hap
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby puKKa » May 7th, 2008, 7:22 pm

Sizes dosnt really matter, what REALLY matter is DPI. DPI should be at least 300. (normal PC resolution is 72DPI). But ofc, you need a ok resolution to work on. Also, the higher resolution the better imo since some things are really hard to paint if the resolution is too small. Fox example you might have 10x10 pixels to make some detail nice, which is hard. If you have higher res, you can have twice that area to work on. And when you resize it later it will look good and it will be easier.
iddqd
puKKa

Unread postby inferno_flamex » May 9th, 2008, 3:59 am

Well.. I can draw.. but a question to all those that 'draws straight to the comp'...

Do you know of any programme (preferbably free ones) that would 'clean up' scanned drawings to be able to be coloured using photoshop or maybe gimp perhaps? Its almost impossible to paint in straight from the drawn images.

Coz i've been meaning to colour this guys in for the LONGEST OF YEARS. But i HATE using colouring pencils.. etc etc...

There is also the point where i wanna color the manga/doujins i drew... So any help would be great!
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Superflonic » May 9th, 2008, 7:43 am

Wow, inferno_flamex. You CAN draw very very nice. Perhaps a program like Paint.net is something for you. A freeware program (supported through the .net network and supported by microsoft, or something) lots of plug-ins like Shape3D and lots and lots of more.

Also, way more user-friendly than Photoshop, IMO.
Candlejack, I wonder what hap
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby puKKa » May 9th, 2008, 10:22 am

inferno_flamex wrote:Well.. I can draw.. but a question to all those that 'draws straight to the comp'...

Do you know of any programme (preferbably free ones) that would 'clean up' scanned drawings to be able to be coloured using photoshop or maybe gimp perhaps? Its almost impossible to paint in straight from the drawn images.

Coz i've been meaning to colour this guys in for the LONGEST OF YEARS. But i HATE using colouring pencils.. etc etc...

There is also the point where i wanna color the manga/doujins i drew... So any help would be great!

Photoshop works great for that: Just a quick example, took me about 5min to clean and color etc.
iddqd
puKKa

Unread postby skullreken » May 9th, 2008, 10:46 am

I prefere to draw on paper and scan because it takes me ages to get it right and t's more comfortable for me to sit at my desk
I find the hand eye cordination getts a bit trickier with a graphics tablett because your not watching your hand yuor watching the monitor

heres a few of my sketches that I did ages back
I dont really draw anymore I dont have the time with college work and my band

kanu fanboy and proud of it!
skullreken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » May 9th, 2008, 11:03 am

puKKa wrote:Photoshop works great for that: Just a quick example, took me about 5min to clean and color etc.

Wow.. Can you tell me what buttons you used?

Wait.. You're using photoshop right?

Im currently using paint.net. I heard it from my sis that its more less the same as photoshop..

But i still cant figure out how you 'cleaned' it up...
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » May 9th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Holy shit skullreken. It's Kyouko (spelling?), that dude from Dragon Ball and... some chick! <.<

I can draw a *little* bit, since i'm not too good with angles. I don't do manga stuff though. I have an incomplete thing, maybe i'll take a picture... sometime. It can't be scanned.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby puKKa » May 9th, 2008, 5:31 pm

inferno_flamex wrote:
puKKa wrote:Photoshop works great for that: Just a quick example, took me about 5min to clean and color etc.

Wow.. Can you tell me what buttons you used?

Wait.. You're using photoshop right?

Im currently using paint.net. I heard it from my sis that its more less the same as photoshop..

But i still cant figure out how you 'cleaned' it up...

First I used image > adjust > levels to remove scrap thingies.
Secondly I copied the original image as a layermask on a black image which removes all white.
Then just make a new layer and color it from layers under the black image layer.
Then I just used a blur effect.
You can get the psd here: http://p.pishi.se:81/images/blehdam.psd
iddqd
puKKa

Unread postby skullreken » May 10th, 2008, 9:21 am

Atriel wrote:Holy shit skullreken.

I'm really not that good all those are like my 2nd and 3rd attempts
they took me a couple of hours to do and I was copying images not working from memory
kanu fanboy and proud of it!
skullreken
Crack Addic!

Return to General Chat