Can anyone recommend me a good free antivirus?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Can anyone recommend me a good free antivirus?

Unread postby Unlimited_Blade_Works » April 30th, 2008, 9:43 pm

Well my Norton expired and I don't want to waste money. Anything is appreciated.
Unlimited_Blade_Works
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Atriel » April 30th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Nod 32.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Unlimited_Blade_Works » April 30th, 2008, 11:32 pm

is that one free?
Unlimited_Blade_Works
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Atriel » May 1st, 2008, 1:14 am

Uhm... well, yes. You asked for a free one, so i said Nod 32.

I use it myself and i have to say it's good. It autoupdates on a fairly regular basis. It has helped me quite a lot.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby marus » May 1st, 2008, 1:36 am

But, Nod32 isn't free. Though it is pretty kickass. Very reliable, and doesn't use a lot of system resources or bother you with pop ups every twelve minutes. Just search for it on google for more info.

Off the top of my head the only free antivirus I've heard of is AVG, though I haven't tested it myself so I don't know personally how useful it is.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby AlinSabel » May 1st, 2008, 1:58 am

Nod32 can be free if you use certain resources available on the net, such as free update servers. Such as. :P

AVG8 came out recently... but when I was using it (version 7), it gave lots of false positives, which makes one wonder as to whether it's really all that reliable.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » May 1st, 2008, 3:55 am

Huh? What the hell? Then how did i get it for free O_o? I can't remember doing anything. I just downloaded and installed.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby AlinSabel » May 1st, 2008, 4:14 am

LOL. Well uh... version 2 point something or other doesn't require you to use free update servers or freely available login codes, but version 3 is what smart security is under... and the latest version.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » May 1st, 2008, 4:15 am

Well I have actually never used anti virus before and its gone well enough for me till now. But just last week I decided to go for a free one so I went with AVG8. Its going pretty well till now if you want to try that.
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby puKKa » May 1st, 2008, 7:46 am

I personally use and prefer avast antivirus personal. It's free, only thing you have to do is reg on their site to be able to get a serial key for the personal edition after 30 days.

http://avast.com/
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby abscess » May 15th, 2008, 5:30 am

Which Antivirus would you reccomend, AVG 8.0.1 Free Ed or Avast! 4 Home?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby alamarco » May 15th, 2008, 6:11 am

I heard people having problems with slow scanning with AVG 8. I switched from AVG 7 to Avast and am happy with Avast. Does its job and allows you to disable that which isn't needed. Right now I recommend Avast to friends because of what I've been hearing with AVG 8.
alamarco
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Danj » May 15th, 2008, 5:37 pm

Avast has one significant advantage over AVG; you can set it to do a boot-time scan, which runs before the login screen appears (like chkdsk does). This is greatly helpful in detecting and removing malware that attaches to winlogon.exe and thus can't be removed by conventional antimalware software.
Dan Jackson
Danj
Might just like this board

Unread postby ayadew » May 15th, 2008, 6:57 pm

I don't like AVG at all, it's safe sure, but it's too safe and messes with some of my apps, also takes too much resources.
I'm using avast
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » May 15th, 2008, 11:09 pm

I remember reading somewhere that if you have two different antivirus installed, instead of having a safer environment your computer could actually be easier for virus to get into for some issues that I don't understand. Does the same problem originates if I happen to have Avast! and AVG installed? Thanks.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby alamarco » May 16th, 2008, 7:23 am

Depends on what you have enabled in each scanner. If they both have their real-time scanners online, then it'll cause problems since both AV's would try to act on the file. If you use one just as an on-demand scanner (ie disable the real-time scanner and only launch it when needed as a backup) there can be no conflicts.

Personally, I find it overkill. If you are really suspicious of a file you could just send it to Jotti instead of installing another AV onto your system.
alamarco
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TheXev » May 19th, 2008, 6:13 am

No one wants to hear my input. I say pay for Norton and leave it at that. I don't think its a waste of money, and i honestly don't understand why people complain about ram usage when most people have between 1-4GBs of ram on avg these days.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby puKKa » May 19th, 2008, 8:21 am

TheXev wrote:No one wants to hear my input. I say pay for Norton and leave it at that. I don't think its a waste of money, and i honestly don't understand why people complain about ram usage when most people have between 1-4GBs of ram on avg these days.

Well, last times I've tried norton it has just been troublesome to do anything, it feels like a microsoft product. Also memory isnt the only thing norton drains, it's cpu as well. Anyhow, you are correct that it's not really that heavy on the computer anymore but I still think it's not worth to pay for it when I can have avast for free which does a great job as well as not drawing much power at all.
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby Danj » May 19th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Retail Norton versions are uber-bloatware these days and should be avoided. If you want a good, free antivirus, I suggest either AVG Free or Avast.
Dan Jackson
Danj
Might just like this board

Return to General Chat