Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Unread postby DarkRedSky » April 30th, 2008, 9:24 pm

I require help. I know there is an english patch for this game. I just can't seem to find it. If possible can I get a link? I know the Ys series is pretty good but sadly I don't own the systems required to play most of the games so I want to start with The Oath in Felghana. Problem is all the downloads of the English patch I find are dead. Any help?
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » April 30th, 2008, 9:48 pm

Apparently, the creator (NightWolve) no longer supports the English patch. The mainsite has been taken down as well.

The creator is also (allegedly) responsible for asking rapidshare, mediafire, etc. to remove all instances of the hosted patch he could find.

You'd be hard-pressed to find the patch now.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » April 30th, 2008, 10:27 pm

That's just perfect. Right when I was able to find a copy of the game. I can't play it. Just perfect.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » April 30th, 2008, 11:00 pm

Try p2p. You may be able to get it.

Say, what is that game about?
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » April 30th, 2008, 11:12 pm

It's an RPG my friend recommended. So I really don't know much. I know it has gotten pretty good reviews overall.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » April 30th, 2008, 11:33 pm

Atriel wrote:Try p2p. You may be able to get it.

Say, what is that game about?

Fightings. Lots of action. Hard bosses (unless you like grinding on the normal monsters for a zillion levels before going to the boss, then they're easy).

Most RPGs fail for plot, so Oath in Felghana doesn't even try. There is a plot, yes, but it's so typical and overdone, it might as well not be there. Just as well for me, since that way there isn't anything to ruin the action.

(On a sidenote: Yes, that means you don't really lose much in terms of enjoyment even if you play it Jap. There aren't any puzzles or shit you have to solve, so you can get through okay. Might miss out on a bit of money and ravel ores though.)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » May 1st, 2008, 1:12 am

Yeah, annoying RPGs now.

"Let's save the world!! YAY!!! GO!"

If at least they could do it in an "unbelievably" (is this a word?) awesome way like say: Chrono Trigger.

Or even less, take FF7 and admit that you don't give a shit about the world, but your personal agenda.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » May 1st, 2008, 1:13 am

So it's good? I can't really make up my mind to install or not. I want to since the reviews were good and my friend recommended. Kinda skeptical now, after you said that it doesn't even try for plot.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » May 1st, 2008, 1:21 am

Well, it tries about as hard as every other typical RPG you'll get out there.

What I mean about not trying is more like, it doesn't milk the melodrama, if that makes any sense.

Like, if a character's family was killed in a fire (course, that's hypothetical as to remain not a spoiler), it doesn't keep giving you flashbacks of the event over and over for sympathy appeal (or w/e the hell the stupid writers hope to accomplish with that) or the character acting angsty around fire-hazards, etc. etc.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » May 1st, 2008, 3:00 am

I think my friend still have the patch I sent him, so I might send it to you later if I can contact him. It's a great game indeed with very challenging bosses. I once died 18 times fighting one -_- but I'm much better now but then there's hard, very hard, and nightmare. Pretty interesting story too.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » May 1st, 2008, 3:05 am

Hard, Nightmare, Inferno.

There's also a debug mode that's unlockable. (either by the normal way or editting a value in the .dat file >_>) =x (F# for money gaining, ores, level up, etc.)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » May 1st, 2008, 3:19 am

You guys are making me jealous. Cause here I am with the game. But unable to understand anything at all. :cry:
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby puKKa » May 1st, 2008, 7:45 am

It's a good game even if the story is a bit mainstream and nothing really new happens, go save the world, "plot twist", kill the evil demon of the underworld as in all other games. The good part is the fighting since it's fast and interactive and it runs smooth. Also looking for upgrades and stuff is fun also some ofthe bosses are quite chalenging. But that mostly depends on your gear in the end. Remember being stuck on the 3 birdie boss, played so many times and almost got it. Then I went and grinded and got a new armor and took them on the first try :3
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby Einherjar » May 1st, 2008, 1:25 pm

puKKa wrote:It's a good game even if the story is a bit mainstream and nothing really new happens, go save the world, "plot twist", kill the evil demon of the underworld as in all other games. The good part is the fighting since it's fast and interactive and it runs smooth. Also looking for upgrades and stuff is fun also some ofthe bosses are quite chalenging. But that mostly depends on your gear in the end. Remember being stuck on the 3 birdie boss, played so many times and almost got it. Then I went and grinded and got a new armor and took them on the first try :3

I thought it's pretty good in the fact that even if you grind it won't make a much of a difference against bosses (unless you're 15+ levels above). And as I recall, the 3 birdie is the easiest boss for me -_- Dularn 3 is WTF in nightmare.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » May 1st, 2008, 7:53 pm

Yeah, Ligaty (3 birds) is one of the easier bosses in the game =o (Right down there with Chester - First Encounter)

The most challenging boss for me was the last dragon in lava zone. It's not hard, per se, but that screen makes my FPS drop to 12 in lowest settings =_=.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » May 1st, 2008, 10:11 pm

WingZero wrote:Yeah, Ligaty (3 birds) is one of the easier bosses in the game =o (Right down there with Chester - First Encounter)

The most challenging boss for me was the last dragon in lava zone. It's not hard, per se, but that screen makes my FPS drop to 12 in lowest settings =_=.

The wolf is worst for me, I died everytime there cause the fps when under 5 I swear XD
WingZero, do you still want the patch? I think I can get it from my friend, so I can email it to you or something.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » May 1st, 2008, 10:18 pm

Nah, it's okay. My friend has the patch on his comp too (I linked him to it, about 2 hours after he dl'd it, when I linked another friend, it was already removed) so I can get it from him when I want.

I already uninstalled the game though. My harddrive has no space for stuff anymore (for some reason my WINDOWS folder is over 20 gigabytes and I don't know enough of what I'm doing to go mess around in there)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » May 1st, 2008, 10:26 pm

Too bad then, I really liked the story it's a shame you didn't get the chance.
WINDOWS folder is over 20 gigabytes

You serious???
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » May 1st, 2008, 10:51 pm

Wait 20 gigs? The windows folder isn't suppose to be that big. Mines only like 2.22gigs.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » May 1st, 2008, 11:00 pm

DarkRedSky wrote:Wait 20 gigs? The windows folder isn't suppose to be that big. Mines only like 2.22gigs.

Vista might get close.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Next

Return to General Chat