Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby WingZero » May 1st, 2008, 11:05 pm

I'm on XP, and I have no idea why it's that big.

I would like to clean it out, but like I said, I don't have enough knowledge about what I'm doing to go do that.

The next best thing is to ignore it until it gets absolutely unbearable, then reinstall XP for a clean start.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » May 1st, 2008, 11:18 pm

I'm on XP SP2. Still don't understand how it can get as big as 20 gigs. Scan that folder for viruses.

Also... YAY I got the english patch. This game is pretty fun.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » May 1st, 2008, 11:31 pm

Congrats, and there are no viruses.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby AlinSabel » May 1st, 2008, 11:36 pm

My Vista Windows folder is... 6.58GB. Nowhere near 20GB. My XP windows folder is... 3.5GB.

You will WANT to think about doing a clean install...
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » May 2nd, 2008, 12:05 am

WingZero wrote:Congrats, and there are no viruses.

Some sort of registry cleaner? Maybe that would help.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » May 2nd, 2008, 12:23 am

Can't find any free ones.

I did use one where it said I had 800 disconnected / truncated registry entries or something. And it was only free to fix 10, I had to pay like 19.95 to buy the program to do the rest (no thanks).

And Registry Cleaner (the only free one I know of) doesn't detect any abnormalities =/.

Ignore that completely. I was thinking not registry, but something else entirely (plenty of free registry cleaners on the net =_=)

But registry doesn't take up gigabytes upon gigabytes of space, it merely magically makes your computer take forever while loading stuff.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » May 2nd, 2008, 1:23 am

Only thing I can think of now is that. Inside the folder there are either...

1. Duplicated files (See if you find copies of the same file over and over)

2. Files in there that are not suppose to be

3. Black magic

I can't think of anything else.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » May 2nd, 2008, 11:52 am

Cleaning the registry doesn't help XD are you think loading speed??

Duplicated files ARE Files in there that are not suppose to be there, so that's kinda obvious.

Hmm, as stupid as it sounds, try temp folder >_>
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » May 2nd, 2008, 7:46 pm

Lol, thanks for the suggestion, but I cleared out temp folder a long time ago (It's no more than a few hundred MB at a time.)

I also noticed in application add/remove list that I had 7 duplicates of Java X.X.X version, each coming in at 200 mb each. Deleted all of them -> had absolutely zero effect on disc space. Wtf.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » May 5th, 2008, 12:58 am

Wow... I'm halfway through the game. And each boss practically took me 15+ tries to win. I'm stuck at the castle because of the sheer difficulty. Can't even make it through 5 rooms without dying. But the sense of accomplishment when you beat the boss or clear the dungeon is nice. Story is predictable but better than nothing.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » May 5th, 2008, 9:34 pm

DarkRedSky wrote:Wow... I'm halfway through the game. And each boss practically took me 15+ tries to win. I'm stuck at the castle because of the sheer difficulty. Can't even make it through 5 rooms without dying. But the sense of accomplishment when you beat the boss or clear the dungeon is nice. Story is predictable but better than nothing.

I guess I was just as surprised as you when I first started this game. but it's not that hard, except the last boss and Dularn 3 (In my first play through, Dularn 3 took me 18 tries, no less). If you think this is hard, you should see them. In Nightmare, it get kinda ridiculus sometimes.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby idontknoW » May 6th, 2008, 3:41 am

WingZero wrote: (for some reason my WINDOWS folder is over 20 gigabytes and I don't know enough of what I'm doing to go mess around in there)

:shock:
try defragmentation and scandisk, if you haven't yet. Especially scandisk cause back then, I had a similar case when I had barely any space left. I tried and it freed me of 18GBs of drive space. That was weird.

try anyway.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » May 6th, 2008, 3:50 am

idontknoW wrote:
WingZero wrote: (for some reason my WINDOWS folder is over 20 gigabytes and I don't know enough of what I'm doing to go mess around in there)

:shock:
try defragmentation and scandisk, if you haven't yet. Especially scandisk cause back then, I had a similar case when I had barely any space left. I tried and it freed me of 18GBs of drive space. That was weird.

try anyway.

Defrag basically fails because I need a certain percent of free space to perform it, and I lack that percent (lol). I've managed to get some space by deleting a few game images off my computer though (although that does mean I have to haul out the old dusty cardboard box with my game discs in them).

In other related news, by cleaning my registry, I now cannot open "Start -> All programs" (It's completely empty). Thank you free registry cleaners *delete*

As for Oath in Felghana, most of the bosses aren't too difficult. You just have to make sure to always have the latest equipment upgraded as much as possible (and make sure you explore everywhere to get the chests for ravels and money. Especially the secret areas, keep an eye out for those.) (If you haven't gotten SPIRIT CAPE, go get it. IT's a major life saver in the castle and you really shouldn't be going in there without it (allows you to heal hp if you stand still somewhere))
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » May 6th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Why would you want to remove all the registry?? -_- I mean they don't really give you any space...

And in ysf I never thought that grinding helps (unless you're 10 lvls over) So I gave that up and tackled on bosses directly after the second half of the game. I mean, the most they do is just so the boss takes a fewer hits to die, and you can take about 1 or 2 more hits before it goes to zero. Oh and I seriously don't understand how you can play this game on a mouse >_>
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » May 6th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Lol. Mouse controls are more useful for maneuvering, and simpler for veterans at FPS games. I preferred the keyboard controls myself, but I could do just as well on a mouse.

As for the registry thing, I know it doesn't give me disc space, but I haven't done it in a long while and program loading was rather slow, so I went ahead and fixed those 17XX registry problems.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » May 6th, 2008, 8:18 pm

You should've went with CCleaner. That wouldn't have screwed your start menu.

Also where do I get the spirit cape?

EDIT: Found it.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Previous

Return to General Chat