Arcana Heart

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Arcana Heart

Unread postby Yazan Kiriel » April 20th, 2008, 3:06 am

Went game shopping, picked up Metal Gear Solid collection, Valkyrie Profile 2 (yeah, late for me), and......Arcana Heart...last copy at my Gamestop too, game just only came out a week ago too. For those curious...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25683.html

and pretty nice tournament play here

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... 91660.html

I remember seeing the arcade clips in Japan way back. Very popular arcade machine over there, never expected it to be out here...boy it's fucking lovely, and I don't mean the entire girl cast. Very smooth animation and a fighting system that makes itself stand out and more complicated then I thought from first seeing it. Love the Arcana system, it's like if Persona was a fighting game this is pretty much it. I played alot of fighters yearly pretty competitively...Street Fighter: 3rd Strike, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Guilty Gear, and of course Melty Blood. This game has quite a charm, especially when the entire cast are delicious girls. For 30 bucks, I suggest picking it up to those who haven't, especially being a Atlus title, good fucking luck trying to find a copy. Typical Atlus games...going to need to get Persona 3: FES in a few days as well.
Yazan Kiriel
Addict

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 20th, 2008, 3:38 am

Mmm, I think I'll stick with Guilty Gear and Tekken for my fighting needs.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Yazan Kiriel » April 20th, 2008, 3:39 am

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:Mmm, I think I'll stick with Guilty Gear and Tekken for my fighting needs.

Tekken....wha.....
Yazan Kiriel
Addict

Unread postby DragoonKnight » April 20th, 2008, 8:08 am

Yazan Kiriel wrote:
Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:Mmm, I think I'll stick with Guilty Gear and Tekken for my fighting needs.

Tekken....wha.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekken_series or if that was an attempt at deriding Tekken go flamebait somewhere else.

As for the topic living in a PAL territory I don't have the luxury of trying AH but given the premise of the game setting I'm not missing out on much, but the fighting system looks good.
DragoonKnight
Might just like this board

Unread postby Yazan Kiriel » April 20th, 2008, 8:23 am

DragoonKnight wrote:
Yazan Kiriel wrote:

Tekken....wha.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekken_series or if that was an attempt at deriding Tekken go flamebait somewhere else.

As for the topic living in a PAL territory I don't have the luxury of trying AH but given the premise of the game setting I'm not missing out on much, but the fighting system looks good.

Atlus haet YUROP. Yes we all know. Indeed, this is one of the best fighting systems I seen in awhile, very interesting to see what people come up with, unlike other fighters out there where it seems all the pros would play the same exact character much alike. (Short Short, Launch, Aircombo, Grab. Sound familiar to anyone?) Picking your Arcana and mixing it up with your own specials and super is very unique and then utilizing the Homing system.

I can't wait to see this game played at Evolution, I think players like Justin Wong already seemed to have picked up on this game...shit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=41uRTuyH6Rk

Goddamn him, as if Marvel vs Capcom 2 wasn't enough for him. I still can't help but think about the infamous Daigo parry in 3rd Strike when I see him play though lol. Sad, this tournament had all the great 2-D fighters except Melty Blood and only Japan loves Jojo Bizarre Adventure so no surprise it's not there.
Yazan Kiriel
Addict

Unread postby inferno_flamex » April 20th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Im interested in getting Arcana Heart...

But im afraid of getting more 'negative' comments than i already have from my family while im playing it... Something like this...

"Ne.. Onii-san... What kind of game are you playing? Why are there girls with short skirts jumping around and kicking?! WHAT kinda GAME is this??"

Same reason why i never got myself Rumble Roses and DOA Volleyball no matter how much i find it... tempting...

Declaring that Ivy (from my SoulCalibur II & III) would be my official SoulCalibur wife already got me into trouble...

-___-

ROFL!
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 20th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Yazan Kiriel wrote:

Tekken....wha.....

Don't even try to start shit up. I'm just going to say it is one of the most played 3D fighting games in tournaments, and leave it at that.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Yazan Kiriel » April 20th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:
Yazan Kiriel wrote:

Tekken....wha.....

Don't even try to start shit up. I'm just going to say it is one of the most played 3D fighting games in tournaments, and leave it at that.

Yes I know what Evolution and Tougeki is. Although 3rd Strike tends to overshadow the other events when you have those well known pros playing.

and inferno, nothing wrong with Arcana Heart, this is a already proven tournament worthy game played by EPIC MANLINESS. Tougeki has this game in their 2007 event and anyone who knows fighting games would know a game played at Tougeki must be quite unique.

* Arcana Heart FULL
* Soul Calibur III: Arcade Edition
* The King of Fighters '98
* Melty Blood: Act Cadenza Version B
* Hyper Street Fighter 2: Anniversary Edition
* Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
* Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
* Guilty Gear XX Λ Core
* Virtua Fighter 5 Version B

Clearly a list of awesomeness, to see Arcana Heart placed among it just shows this game isn't just gimmicky because of the girl cast but indeed a fighting game that stands among the top. And there are already arcade machine imports here for U.S side tournaments. Quite impressive, dunno how many though. (but there are 11 Melty Blood: Act Cadenza Arcade machines in the U.S for useless knowledge, if you live in New York there's one there!) Also, Rumble Roses and DoA Volleyball is obviously featured for something else other then their gameplay...I read RR was shitty anyway (wtf Konami.) Besides, you of all people on this forum should know Atlus titles are a good mind fuck for those who have no idea. Arcana Heart doesn't have quite that 'er' that would stem from people watching others play DoA Volleyball, where the gimmicky visuals are the selling point...cause admit it, no one buys DoA Volleyball to play Volleyball....
Yazan Kiriel
Addict

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 20th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Wait, are you trying to tell me that people actually buy DoA: Extreme Beach Volleyball?
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Yazan Kiriel » April 20th, 2008, 11:39 pm

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:Wait, are you trying to tell me that people actually buy DoA: Extreme Beach Volleyball?

What gave you that idea? Who would...let those Team Ninja guys feel ashame for making such a game and not purchase it. Even God is ashame, so now he punishes Itagaki by melting his face.
Yazan Kiriel
Addict

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 21st, 2008, 6:04 am

Yazan Kiriel wrote:
Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:Wait, are you trying to tell me that people actually buy DoA: Extreme Beach Volleyball?

What gave you that idea? Who would...let those Team Ninja guys feel ashame for making such a game and not purchase it. Even God is ashame, so now he punishes Itagaki by melting his face.

Oh sweet Jesus, I laughed way too hard than I should have :lol:
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » April 21st, 2008, 8:49 am

Back on topic to the topic, I personally own a copy of Arcana Heart, and gave up the next day after repeated getting slammed down by the last boss. I just can't seem to get close to her using Heart. I found a way to beat her, but once I try to she does the instantaneous 2/3 HP super move that costs literally nothing for her to use. Not very fun =/. Oh, not to mention her instantaneous grab that can stop any move you're doing and chop 1/5 of your health.

Besides from that, it's quite an enjoyable game. Anyone can seem to win if you button mash well enough, which is also good.

Heh, Tekken.....
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » April 21st, 2008, 1:25 pm

Arcana Heart VS Soul Calibur II (YESS!!! 2!!! SCII > SCIII)

Ok.. FINE...

Arcana Heart VS Soul Calibur Series.... (HAPPY?!)

Which one is better for family/friends multiplayers?
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Unlimited_Blade_Works » April 21st, 2008, 1:34 pm

I'm getting a copy if gamestop has one when I pick up P3 FES this thursday. :D
Unlimited_Blade_Works
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Yazan Kiriel » April 21st, 2008, 10:51 pm

-[J1N]- wrote:Back on topic to the topic, I personally own a copy of Arcana Heart, and gave up the next day after repeated getting slammed down by the last boss. I just can't seem to get close to her using Heart. I found a way to beat her, but once I try to she does the instantaneous 2/3 HP super move that costs literally nothing for her to use. Not very fun =/. Oh, not to mention her instantaneous grab that can stop any move you're doing and chop 1/5 of your health.

Besides from that, it's quite an enjoyable game. Anyone can seem to win if you button mash well enough, which is also good.

Heh, Tekken.....

Mash buttons? I don't think so...especially when you're playing against pro level players from what I see. Sure mashing buttons could help ya in any fighting game, my noob cousin does that and get lucky...SOMETIMES in fighting games like 3rd Strike and SNK stuff. But overall it's just a pure beat down if you dunno what you're doing.
Yazan Kiriel
Addict

Unread postby Yazan Kiriel » April 21st, 2008, 10:59 pm

Unlimited_Blade_Works wrote:I'm getting a copy if gamestop has one when I pick up P3 FES this thursday. :D

Oh, FES comes out tomorrow. Getting both would sure support Atlus, I seen on Gamestop Arcana Heart and Persona 3 FES are the top selling games on their list. Kinda surprises me really...

And Inferno, well I never got into Soul Calibur...but fighting game wise they have their merits. But Soul Calibur would be less technical then Arcana Heart I say so probably more enjoyable to the casual players. But when ya have a good bunch of fighting game players with ya and friends, probably wanting to hold a 2-D fighting game tournament...you'd need 3rd Strike, Guilty Gear, SNK, Jojo Bizarre Adventure, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and finally...the newest addition Arcana Heart.
Yazan Kiriel
Addict

Unread postby -[J1N]- » April 22nd, 2008, 12:25 am

Yazan Kiriel wrote:Mash buttons? I don't think so...especially when you're playing against pro level players from what I see. Sure mashing buttons could help ya in any fighting game, my noob cousin does that and get lucky...SOMETIMES in fighting games like 3rd Strike and SNK stuff. But overall it's just a pure beat down if you dunno what you're doing.

Well, I kind of meant mashing with a bit of sense. Of course there's no way of winning if you keep mashing X, since all that does is dash and cancel. Also, I didn't mean a newbie verses a professional player -- yeah, I also see no chance in that. If you're familiar with fighting games, then mashing a few combos shouldn't be too hard. This applies to all fighter games I guess.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » April 22nd, 2008, 3:36 am

Hmm.. Then i must have misunderstood the 'button mashing' part..

Then.. What i meant was does Arcana Heart have buttons like...

Down-Front+Punch - Venom Fang
Front-Down-Front + Punch - Soryuuken!! XDDD
(Back-Down-Front)x2 + Punch - Special "Proton Cannon!!!"

Because the game SoulCalibur doesnt have that... so its tons easier for beginners to enjoy the game with just button mashing. Soul Calibur moves are easy, yet very deep... You have to try it to understand what i mean..
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby ayadew » April 22nd, 2008, 8:56 pm

I feel sick when I play this game.
It's simply too much.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby -[J1N]- » April 23rd, 2008, 3:45 am

inferno_flamex wrote:Hmm.. Then i must have misunderstood the 'button mashing' part..

Then.. What i meant was does Arcana Heart have buttons like...

Down-Front+Punch - Venom Fang
Front-Down-Front + Punch - Soryuuken!! XDDD
(Back-Down-Front)x2 + Punch - Special "Proton Cannon!!!"

Because the game SoulCalibur doesnt have that... so its tons easier for beginners to enjoy the game with just button mashing. Soul Calibur moves are easy, yet very deep... You have to try it to understand what i mean..

It does have moves like that. In fact, Heart seems to have most of those. For certain characters, you can just swing the Down/Forward on your d-pad repeatedly with the square or triangle button and you can score a simple combo. Besides from the X button which does a dash/cancel, it's very similar to games like Street Fighter or KoF. Oh, but there's also that R2 button, which differs according to what 'type' you use.
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to General Chat