What goes into translating a project?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

What goes into translating a project?

Unread postby gunblade » April 17th, 2008, 10:19 pm

Was always curious.
Sure you need to crack the code to get into the text file, sure you need to translate all that text.
But is there more to that? no offense but projects, not just yours, takes quite a while and while yes I understand you all have lives and have better things to do than sit at your computer 24/7, if it was just text translation even the occasional coding would be finished in weeks.

So was wondering, what on earth goes into translating something? I would have thought it was just translating the text, recompiling back into the game and voila. the Japanese now reads as English.

But of course that can't be right.

I'd like to start a project sometime. There are some games I'd love to translate but then like you guys, I sure can't be bothered spending time doing it like a job.
gunblade
Might just like this board

Unread postby Atriel » April 17th, 2008, 11:49 pm

Hmmm. Yeah i'm curious too. There's proofreading, but other than that i have no idea how it all works
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby puKKa » April 19th, 2008, 2:16 pm

1. Take image
2. Remove japanese
3. ????
4. Profit
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby md » April 19th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Updated to revision 1504.
[md@enigma:~/proj/tsukihime]$ du -sh
151M .

There's a LOT of stuff to translate, proof, edit, and insert.

Tsukihime was relatively easy because it was based on an old game engine that was well known and even had an open-source implementation. (As I recall, chendo? Message? someone ended up submitting a number of patches to the project to fix things we needed to work for the game.)

5.2 Megs just for the script. For comparison, the entire Dune series or the entire Lord of the Rings series is smaller.

Edit: http://mirrormoon.org/news/2006-08-05-i ... statistics
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby gunblade » April 20th, 2008, 1:25 am

That is ridiculous...
But then putting Fate/Stay on Autoread for both translated routes took me over 3 days "playing" time.
More like reading time. Longer than Dune and LOTR is just silly.
Hmm...
You counting all these new books about Dune? :roll:

But still is it that it takes a long time to translate them or is there in fact more to it or not?
gunblade

Re: What goes into translating a project?

Unread postby TakaJun » April 20th, 2008, 6:33 am

Well... I think the important parts are:
1. Text extraction and Image extraction
2. Text translation and Image translation
3. Text proofing
4. Image editing
5. Insertion of text and images

The systematic stuff is easy if the game has simple engine. Image editing isn't too bad if there aren't much images to translate.
(Coming from a guy that doesn't do any of that, so don't really take my word...)

gunblade wrote:Sure you need to crack the code to get into the text file, sure you need to translate all that text.
But is there more to that? no offense but projects, not just yours, takes quite a while and while yes I understand you all have lives and have better things to do than sit at your computer 24/7, if it was just text translation even the occasional coding would be finished in weeks.

BUT translation takes time. It's not something that can be done in weeks (although I do wish...)
Just try translating something small and you'll understand. :wink:
TakaJun

Unread postby gunblade » April 20th, 2008, 3:56 pm

I figure no one is half Japanese/English or American that they can translate Japanese text like it was a natural thing then? ^^

Guess md did say it trounces LotR for text size -_-

Even if you were it'd take an age...
gunblade

Unread postby md » April 20th, 2008, 9:47 pm

>I figure no one is half Japanese/English or American that they can translate Japanese text like it was a natural thing then? ^^

You rack yourself over word choice when you get down to it.

"Found some interesting stats about the Tsukihime translation today.

It has:

* 64366 lines of text
* 611374 words
* 3400830 characters.

This was found by doing `grep "^\`" * -h | sed s/[\@\`\\]//g - | wc`, so it includes spaces and quotation marks.

611374 words is around 1910.5 pages (assuming 320 words per page. I got this number by 32 lines * average of 10 words per line in the nearest book I found - "A Practical Handbook for the Actor". Apparently it's a fairly standard number, anyhow),

EDIT: Ryuusoul says 1954 is for the hardcover.

Lord of the Rings paper back (whole set) is 1210 pages (according to Ryuusoul). So if you've played all routes you could probably claim to have read a 'novel' of longer than LotR :)"
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby gunblade » April 20th, 2008, 10:11 pm

hmm...?
I mentioned I read the link you gave me...
If that's what your meaning?
Well anyway thanks for the answers and I shall now figure out if there's any point in me trying to translate a game of my own.
gunblade

Return to General Chat