Need Help on playing a VERY old game!!

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Need Help on playing a VERY old game!!

Unread postby lolipedofin » April 16th, 2008, 7:17 am

Hey guys, i just recently found a very old game... I found it in my old stash of CD and can't believe my eyes when i actually find the copy of the game that i thought was lost long ago....

The thing is, this game is VERY old... and when i say old, it's probably from before 95. And the funny thing is, i never thought i'll be able to say this, my PC is too good to play this game! This game will only run with 256 color mode, which is obviously, completely obsolete and not available anymore in the display setting... Can anyone help me with this problem???
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby idontknoW » April 16th, 2008, 10:42 am

Hm, most ancient games would naturally have a problem running on newer OSes (hurr durr Vista with i dunno, Lego Island? holy shit.)
Could help us if you'd mention which game though because sometimes, it's all up to the game.

First to try would be to use Windows XP or lol Vista's compatibility settings. You can still set the 256 color mode there.
Chances might be low though but it's worth a try.

A surefire way here would be to downgrade to a compatible OS but that's just too much and is not advisable cause chances are, your current hardware might be incompatible with the older OSes (ex. SATA drives, PCIe vid cards, dual core processors, whatever higher generation of hardware you have.) <-- don't even think about it. xD
Last edited by idontknoW on April 16th, 2008, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby lolipedofin » April 16th, 2008, 2:08 pm

The game title is "Vikings:The Strategy of Ultimate Conquest" I don't think this game is that well-known... Anybody know this game??

I just checked, and apparently it's not as old as i think it is... It was released at 1996. :lol:

If anybody know how to made this possible, can you please give me a detailed run-down... Since i could be a total n00b when it come to this kind of stuff....
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Alucard » April 16th, 2008, 4:25 pm

dosbox?
Alucard
Addict

Unread postby idontknoW » April 16th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Making the game open in compatibility mode

- Right-click the game shortcut / program
- Select Properties -> Compatibility
- Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
- Under that, select Windows 95 (or Windows 98, see what works. )
- if that fails, check Run in 256 colors and 640x480 resolution as well.

If that fails, well, there might be something else. I've done a quick google and seems that some people are having problems with it too. If the game really is that old (i.e. Windows 3.1 or DOS) then you really might need the use of emulation software or something, like DOSBox from what i've heard.

P.S. This threadmight be of interest.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Return to General Chat