Longest RPG

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Longest RPG

Unread postby Einherjar » April 10th, 2008, 10:23 pm

What's the longest RPG you've ever played? I don't mean 100% or anything, just getting to the end.
Tales of the Abyss took 104 hours for me to finish >_>, but I've heard that some FF games can be seriously long (I only played VII and VIII and they're not that long).
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Re: Longest RPG

Unread postby 1529op » April 11th, 2008, 12:46 am

Einherjar wrote:What's the longest RPG you've ever played? I don't mean 100% or anything, just getting to the end.
Tales of the Abyss took 104 hours for me to finish >_>, but I've heard that some FF games can be seriously long (I only played VII and VIII and they're not that long).

Um...

Star Ocean 3 Till the End of Time. My first run through, and I have yet to finish it, is at 125 hours so far.

(and I have also played FF IV, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, Crystal Chronicles , and I wanna play 12 :D)
1529op
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby marus » April 11th, 2008, 1:38 am

1529op wrote:Star Ocean 3 Till the End of Time. My first run through, and I have yet to finish it, is at 125 hours so far.

Serious? I beat that in about 80 hours, including the extra dungeons and whatnot (though I didn't get all the trophies, if that's what you're talking about).

Still, that was the longest I spent on one RPG. I don't play them as much anymore (actually SO3 was the last one I finished). I liked them as a kid, but most are so repetitive and stretched out I now lose interest a few hours in.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 11th, 2008, 3:11 am

Well since you didn't specify what type of RPG (mmorpg, Jrpg, Wrpg, Srpg, Action RPG, etc) I'm going with:

Guild Wars (all 3 + xp): 5667 hours
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby 1529op » April 11th, 2008, 3:13 am

marus wrote:Still, that was the longest I spent on one RPG. I don't play them as much anymore (actually SO3 was the last one I finished). I liked them as a kid, but most are so repetitive and stretched out I now lose interest a few hours in.

Thats why I play more FPS like Gmod, see my sig? :D
1529op
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby idontknoW » April 11th, 2008, 3:35 am

Fallout 2 when I was still very young,
why? because i spent ages just levelling up before proceeding to the last stage of the game, collecting gauss ammo from random enclave encounters and beating every evil in the world map (yes, goody goody character back then)

lol GMod, i should look forward to buying that sooner and later, that. and Audiosurf.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Henduluin » April 11th, 2008, 6:00 am

The Baldur's Gate saga.

Nowadays I know where everything is, so I run through the game much faster, but the first time I played it, it took me hundreds of hours, probably.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » April 11th, 2008, 10:32 am

The most i have spent on a single rpg would be around 150 on ffx for basically 100 % completion. Its hard to say what takes the most time to finish wifout 100 % because there is no equality. You can speed run through a very long rpg and can go slow through a shorter one and the shorter comes out as having taken longer to complete. A good example would be ffxii it cn technically be completed within 6 - 7 hours but it took me well over a 100 doing a lot of sidequests ...
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » April 11th, 2008, 8:57 pm

marus wrote:
1529op wrote:Star Ocean 3 Till the End of Time. My first run through, and I have yet to finish it, is at 125 hours so far.

Serious? I beat that in about 80 hours, including the extra dungeons and whatnot (though I didn't get all the trophies, if that's what you're talking about).

Still, that was the longest I spent on one RPG. I don't play them as much anymore (actually SO3 was the last one I finished). I liked them as a kid, but most are so repetitive and stretched out I now lose interest a few hours in.

??? Do you mean post dungeons??? I beat it in 50-60 hours excluding post game.

As for tales of the abyss, I actually missed more than half of the side quests. Add on the replayability (if you want 100%), it would last 350+ >_> I never escaped once in the whole game (except a must for certain scenarios). This is actually the first RPG game that I was enjoying the whole way through. This the also one of the first games I replay on, the grade shop makes it all worth while.

FFX sounds long tho. Maybe I should get a copy to check.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby marus » April 11th, 2008, 10:25 pm

Einherjar wrote:??? Do you mean post dungeons??? I beat it in 50-60 hours excluding post game.

Yeah, I was talking about the post dungeons. To be honest some of the best moments in the game are in those last areas.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DragoonKnight » April 11th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Same with Star Ocean: Till The End of Time. 70-80 hours on that sucker.
DragoonKnight
Might just like this board

Re: Longest RPG

Unread postby nobaka » April 11th, 2008, 10:47 pm

1529op wrote:
Einherjar wrote:What's the longest RPG you've ever played? I don't mean 100% or anything, just getting to the end.

Um...

Star Ocean 3 Till the End of Time. My first run through, and I have yet to finish it, is at 125 hours so far.

(and I have also played FF IV, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, Crystal Chronicles , and I wanna play 12 :D)

12 is mediocre. You don't really fight battles so much as watch them happen.

Longest, hm... FFX, I guess. Though it certainly wasn't the best. (It did have Auron, though. Auron is win.) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue also took a long ass time, but that's because there's a sizeable epilogue. Radiata Stories was also a serious time consumer. Fun, though.

Play Shadow Hearts. The first one. Only game (series, actually, the second did it too, just not as well) I've played where I'm OBVIOUSLY fighting the last boss of the game, beat him, and then have the game say to insert the SECOND DISC.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby TheXev » April 11th, 2008, 11:03 pm

I dont' know about longest... Grandia 1 is up there though as far as long. I've never played a real "60 hour" RPG until Grandia 1... Final Fantasy 7 was like, 40 hours for me (about what it was supposed to be).

Now for shortest.. lets talk about Grandia 2. MY first playthrew was 20hours. my 2nd was more like 15 hours...
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 12th, 2008, 12:23 am

I wonder what the record for longest Pokemon playthrough is...
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby 1529op » April 12th, 2008, 2:38 am

idontknoW wrote:lol GMod, i should look forward to buying that sooner and later, that. and Audiosurf.

Audiosurf is the freaking best game ever made by one man. BUY IT NOW!!!
Einherjar wrote:
marus wrote:

??? Do you mean post dungeons??? I beat it in 50-60 hours excluding post game.

I go really slow at RPG's because of the reading and my habit of drifting off. Thats why I have 2 days 18 hours in FSN after I beat UBW :D
And speaking of taking a long time in RPG's... OHH SEGUE!
Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:I wonder what the record for longest Pokemon playthrough is...

60 hours so far on Pearl and 7 badges :P
1529op
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 12th, 2008, 3:39 am

Mmm, but I mean like combined even after you have ALL of em + w/e. I seriously wonder if someone bought Red or Blue the day it came out, started a file and still plays it daily. That would be insane.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » April 12th, 2008, 4:09 pm

Wow... I guess I've never really TRIED to get everything... maybe if I tried doing that my gameplay might be longer. Never taken me over 10+ hours to beat a game if I just sat down and played.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Gram49 » April 12th, 2008, 7:00 pm

does WoW count?....lifetime rpg.
Gram49
Addict

Unread postby -[J1N]- » April 13th, 2008, 10:29 am

drizzt_rocks wrote:The most i have spent on a single rpg would be around 150 on ffx for basically 100 % completion.

Oh wow damn, I must be a real noob at training my characters. FFX for me too, with 255+ hrs. I only got my Wakka to get his full sphere grid (lol @ double exp). I did manage to get my Tidus in blitzball to 99, before finding out Wakka and Brother were playable as well. Other than that, no real achievement =(.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Maes » April 13th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Gram49 wrote:does WoW count?....lifetime rpg.

Was about to say the same thing....

Aside from WoW though, I sunk the most time into FFX, FFVI, Chrono Trigger(new game+ yay), and Chrono Cross though.
Maes
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to General Chat