Your Internet Service Provider

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

How would you rank you ISP?

Great
15%
I'm sastified
23%
Could be better
35%
Bad
13%
Horrible
6%
Ridiculous! I Can't believe I'm paying for this.
8%

Total votes : 48

Your Internet Service Provider

Unread postby DarkRedSky » April 5th, 2008, 3:35 pm

Ok I have had it with my Rogers and their crappy service. It's the new month and my house has been credited to have used over 60GB. My anime torrents don't even go past 10GB so how did I used 60GB in 5 days?

I can live with Rogers throttling my internet, but in June they'll start charging around 2 dollars for GB over my limit and considering how somehow they credited me with 60GB in 5 days I have no choice but the switch.

Considering that I live in Ontario, any suggestions on who to switch to? I'm considering Teksavvy and the highspeed premium plan $40/month with no limit but mandatory to buy a modem. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: My bad about the title. Should of payed more attention
Last edited by DarkRedSky on April 6th, 2008, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby idontknoW » April 5th, 2008, 4:00 pm

for my case, it's supposedly horrible cause my ISP manages to disconnect for a long period of time right at a atime where you most need it.
plus, the bandwidth isn't that high, then again, we used the cheaper service (conversion rates say $25 a month, but it is a 783kbps as said by SpeedTest.net (feels more like a 512 though -_-) (70KB/s DL average ; 40KB/s UL average. slow, isn't it?)

we get full freedom though (no added charges / download limits) no matter which provider you choose.

so I say, it's just bad.

idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » April 5th, 2008, 5:04 pm

@ Dark: If you're on a wireless router, it's possible that one or more of your neighbours are stealing your internet service.

As for me, I use Rogers (I switch back and forth between Rogers and Sympatico) and I'm pretty happy with it. I have 30 GB bandwidth cap, w/ the $2 per GB over penalty, but I never go over so it doesn't really matter.

The only gripe I have with Rogers is that whenever I'm torrenting something, whether I'm getting 2 kbps or 200 kbps I won't be able to do ANYTHING else (MSN messages get bounced back, surfing gives me "page cannot be displayed", etc).

As for GOOD ISPs: Primus is a good choice if it's available in your area (do a little research though =/ In some areas Primus don't have very good landlines and your internet will cut out a lot).
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 5th, 2008, 6:37 pm

Cox cable, unlimited dl/ul, 10mb down, 5mb up.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » April 5th, 2008, 7:22 pm

Even based on the readings above...
Im not sure how good or bad my ISP is.. I've never been able to keep up with net/tech talk, and right now im using my laptop in Wireless mode... But im gonna go for "could be better" because it gives me a proxy server as default..

Causing me problems to download from sites like sendspace to download stuffs...
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » April 5th, 2008, 7:58 pm

WingZero wrote:@ Dark: If you're on a wireless router, it's possible that one or more of your neighbours are stealing your internet service.

As for me, I use Rogers (I switch back and forth between Rogers and Sympatico) and I'm pretty happy with it. I have 30 GB bandwidth cap, w/ the $2 per GB over penalty, but I never go over so it doesn't really matter.

The only gripe I have with Rogers is that whenever I'm torrenting something, whether I'm getting 2 kbps or 200 kbps I won't be able to do ANYTHING else (MSN messages get bounced back, surfing gives me "page cannot be displayed", etc).

As for GOOD ISPs: Primus is a good choice if it's available in your area (do a little research though =/ In some areas Primus don't have very good landlines and your internet will cut out a lot).

The main reason for your slow down when torrenting is due to Rogers throttling all of our connections. They use the excuse to "regulate" bandwidth so that everyone else can use their service. But the truth is that everyone is affected by the throttling. Bell does this too. I was able to live with them throttling my internet, since they usually did it around 11pm-2am, but now their telling I went over the limit in the first 5 days of April. I won't take that bullshit.

So far Teksavvy seems like the best choice. $20/month for 200GB highspeed or $40/month for unlimited. And the modems aren't that expensive either.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Donvermicelli » April 5th, 2008, 9:36 pm

I use @home, not much to say about it. If I have internet it works fine.
Donvermicelli
Addict

Unread postby AlinSabel » April 5th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Comparing my ISP with others in the world would rate it 'Ridiculous', but that's Australia for you. *shrug*
Compared to other ISPs in my region? It's one of the best, so you really don't want to know how bad the "truly" bad ones are.

If you want something truly awesome in America, get fibre. :P
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Qu4Z » April 6th, 2008, 12:23 am

Heh. I looked at the thread title and thought "I am?".

More on-topic:
My ISP here is Xtra (I don't know how NZ-Xtra compares to Aus-Xtra), and they seem to be doing pretty well now. Mostly I have no cap, which is why I'm on this plan. I get OKish download speeds most of the time (by NZ standards, anyway), although I have too much lag to play most online games nicely. Which is OK, 'cause I only play Touhou and MB anyway >_>
Qu4Z
Might just like this board

Unread postby Catastrophe » April 7th, 2008, 12:55 am

*looks at inferno_flamex's and idontknoW's speed tests*

sons of a...........

now i feel sad :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » April 7th, 2008, 1:08 am

Catastrophe wrote:*looks at inferno_flamex's and idontknoW's speed tests*

sons of a...........

now i feel sad :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Same I can't even manage 1Mbit.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Caineth » April 7th, 2008, 2:43 am

Odd normally my down is over 7000, oh well. Then again, I've been running torrents for the last 2 days :?
Fate/World Providence - A new holy grail war
Caineth
Addict

Unread postby DarkRedSky » April 7th, 2008, 3:06 am

All I can do is blame Canada and how noncompetitive the telecommunications industry is. WE NEED MORE COMPETITION. More competition = better prices = better speeds.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby mir » April 7th, 2008, 5:15 am

SBC global adsl. Eh, it isn't very fast, I usually cannot go much past 100k download and 30-35 upload. However, I'm not paying a whole lot for it, so I'm satisfied.

mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby lolipedofin » April 7th, 2008, 5:36 am

I got awful internet connection, awful price, awful speed.

I pay for about US $90 a month, for unlimited internet connection. And the best speed i can ever get so far when torrenting is 36 kbps during downloading.

It's just one big piece of bull****! When i was at Singapore, i was hogging (stealing, you name it) someone wireless internet connection from my apartment building. And i got around 150 kbps torrenting, with the signal strength never get past 2 bars. Back at my home, i pay hefty price and only got one-five of the speed i got from stealing. :cry:

Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 7th, 2008, 6:47 am

Holy hell, where do you live to pay $90 for that shit? I pay about $50 for 10mb down 5mb up (even though I'm on wifi since this PC is in my room so that usually drops my "estimated max" to 1.5mb/s, although the reality is I usually max out at 170kb/s). Still, wtf man.

EDIT:

Pfft, this is what I get on my wifi, even though the reality is, I rarely see it go over 180kb/s.

KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby lolipedofin » April 7th, 2008, 7:24 am

Well, that's Indonesia for you. We are nation that still trying to make people aware what internet is, and how to live in information age. :cry:

That's actually quite an improvement. 2 years ago, for exactly the same shitty service, we have to pay about US $300 !! And I'm not exaggerating!

There's actually a new ISP i want to use. It provide cheaper price and faster connection. The 'best' part is that it's cable and the service has yet to reach my neighborhood! :evil:
No, i'm not leaving in a backwater village or something, I'm living in the center of the capital of my country, Jakarta. It somehow a neighborhood 100 meters from my house, but yet to expand to mine....

So there! I'm stuck with this hell-hole turtle speed piece of !@#!@!#%#$^% internet connection....

PS: The ISP i'm using proudly named their brand "SPEEDY". And They put banner everywhere stating, "Use our HIGH speed DSL connection of 384 kbps"[u]. Make you want to laugh isn't it. It's real and I'm not making things up.
Last edited by lolipedofin on April 7th, 2008, 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raitei » April 7th, 2008, 7:26 am

lolipedofin wrote:Well, that's Indonesia for you. We are nation that still trying to make people aware what internet is, and how to live in information age. :cry:

That's actuall quite an improvement. 2 years ago, for exactly the same shitty service, we have to pay about US $300 !! And i'm not exaggerating!
exactly the same price, sempai, but mine's 768 kbps ^^. :lol:
you might as well use fastnet if you get the opportunity, then ;)

edit : here's mine :
Last edited by Raitei on April 7th, 2008, 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby lolipedofin » April 7th, 2008, 7:30 am

$300 for 768?? You must mean the $90 one....

I want to, the new ISP i said i wanna try is the First Media's Fastnet one... but like i said, it is yet to reach my house.
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » April 7th, 2008, 8:40 am

Mine's a decent ISP from Bigpond (Telstra), but it can be much better than it currently is.

I really have no idea where they pick the numbers from, but I've never gotten past 160kbs.

It's $50 AU (AU currency isn't too far from US now) a month for 12GBs, with line rental included, so it's something I can live with. The main benefits from Bigpond is that their service is the best out of the other 2 I've tried (very less cuts, even in rainy weather now, 24/7 service). I'm thinking of raising price by $20 to get 25 GBs a month, but it looks like it ain't gonna happen.

Though I'm not really satisfied yet, it seems I'm actually quite well off when compared to what you guys pay for =X.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to General Chat