want a pen friend

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby GreenSamurai » April 2nd, 2008, 5:38 pm

Einherjar wrote:I came to Canada at 13 so I can read and write both Chinese and English quite well by now. As for "Cuz" and "ill", they are quite informal so you shouldn't worry about things like that. By the way, what's a pen friend? >_> friends on internet?

pen friend=a friend that you keep contact by sending letters to each other
GreenSamurai
Might just like this board

Unread postby biran007 » April 2nd, 2008, 11:41 pm

Henduluin wrote:Basically, "cuz" "ill" are abbreviated forms of the words "because" and "I will (or I'll)"
These are definitely not the only words that get abbreviated, but this is mostly only done on the Internet and through text messaging to save time and/or because people are lazy.
It is usually frowned upon though, at least by most people.

You will also find that people who speak the language natively will use them more often than the people who speak (in this case) English as a second language, at least in my experience. This is probably due to the fact foreigners learn English mostly through school and not other sources, where these abbreviations come from.

thank you for telling me.
there are also a lot of words used only on the Internet in Chinese, most of them are totally new words, few of them are abbreviation. it that i should learn more words like this to read threads here
biran007

Unread postby biran007 » April 2nd, 2008, 11:44 pm

GreenSamurai wrote:hi biran...i can speak cantonese but i can't write it...i understand a bit of mandarin also....just a bit...

cantonese is so special that some words cannot be written in Chinese
It is also quite different from mandarin, sounds like two languages.
In Singapore, cantonese is also very popular
Last edited by biran007 on April 3rd, 2008, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
biran007

Unread postby Kiraiya » April 3rd, 2008, 12:13 am

Ok guys get off of my back. I personally apologize for my lack of comprehensive english. I did not believe that people would get on me over a habit that i have acquired over years of posting on the internet. If it makes you happy I'll begin to write in correct English and I'll stop the use of colloquialisms.
"Onii-chan Ich Liebe Dich!!!!!!!!!!!!"-German lolies ; Accept no Substitutes...
Kiraiya
Crack Desu!

Unread postby biran007 » April 3rd, 2008, 12:21 am

Kiraiya wrote:Ok guys get off of my back. I personally apologize for my lack of comprehensive english. I did not believe that people would get on me over a habit that i have acquired over years of posting on the internet. If it makes you happy I'll begin to write in correct English and I'll stop the use of colloquialisms.

it doesn't matter to use those words if only you can tell me the meaning if i don't understand
biran007

Unread postby Kiraiya » April 3rd, 2008, 12:32 am

Do you still want me to e-mail you or have you decided to post on the forums instead? Because I have always wanted to have a pen-friend since I saw it on a tv show as a little girl. I understand how hard English is to learn since English is not my primary language either.
Kiraiya
Crack Desu!

Unread postby biran007 » April 3rd, 2008, 12:36 am

I want to know how do people here watch anime?
online video or download or DVD?
biran007

Unread postby biran007 » April 3rd, 2008, 12:41 am

Kiraiya wrote:Do you still want me to e-mail you or have you decided to post on the forums instead? Because I have always wanted to have a pen-friend since I saw it on a tv show as a little girl. I understand how hard English is to learn since English is not my primary language either.

I am very glad to trade E-mails with you, and I will also post on the forums if I have extra time.
biran007

Unread postby GreenSamurai » April 3rd, 2008, 1:17 am

biran007 wrote:
GreenSamurai wrote:hi biran...i can speak cantonese but i can't write it...i understand a bit of mandarin also....just a bit...

really?i always thought that mandarin is the more popular dialect in Singapore....
GreenSamurai

Unread postby Kiraiya » April 3rd, 2008, 2:30 am

biran007 wrote:
Kiraiya wrote:Do you still want me to e-mail you or have you decided to post on the forums instead? Because I have always wanted to have a pen-friend since I saw it on a tv show as a little girl. I understand how hard English is to learn since English is not my primary language either.

I am very glad to trade E-mails with you, and I will also post on the forums if I have extra time.

kiraiyaphile@yahoo.com
Kiraiya
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 3rd, 2008, 3:46 am

biran007 wrote:I want to know how do people here watch anime?

I get my anime straight from the fansubbers, and if I particularly like a series, I will buy it once it comes out in the US.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby biran007 » April 3rd, 2008, 5:39 am

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:

I get my anime straight from the fansubbers, and if I particularly like a series, I will buy it once it comes out in the US.

I usually watch anime online or download from fansubber' website.
Unfortunately, most anime DVD are not sold in China for many reasons, so I cannot buy even though I like it.
biran007

Unread postby biran007 » April 3rd, 2008, 5:46 am

GreenSamurai wrote:
biran007 wrote:

really?i always thought that mandarin is the more popular dialect in Singapore....

Many people in Singapore can speak mandarin and cantonese, but some certain words are used only in cantonese.
some poeple cannot understand if i say "i want a cup of milk tea with ice"(in Chinese), and i have to say "I want zeibing(sounds like that)"
biran007

Unread postby AlinSabel » April 3rd, 2008, 6:08 am

Yeah, Cantonese is definitely the language of slang... Mandarin sounds so formal to me. :( We use some random phrases and our Mandarin speaking friends (mostly Taiwanese people) ask us what we meant, and all of us HK-ers go 'Uh... dunno how to say it in mandarin...' <_<
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Henduluin » April 3rd, 2008, 6:25 am

Kiraiya wrote:Ok guys get off of my back. I personally apologize for my lack of comprehensive english. I did not believe that people would get on me over a habit that i have acquired over years of posting on the internet. If it makes you happy I'll begin to write in correct English and I'll stop the use of colloquialisms.

Oh, sorry, I did not mean to sound angry or anything. I was just trying to explain the hows and whys. My post was meant generally and not aimed at any one person.
My apologies if I offended you, this was not my intention.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 3rd, 2008, 9:47 pm

biran007 wrote:
Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:

Unfortunately, most anime DVD are not sold in China for many reasons, so I cannot buy even though I like it.

I'd assume that is because of gov't regulations and tarriffs.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby biran007 » April 3rd, 2008, 10:37 pm

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:
biran007 wrote:
Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:[quote="biran007"]I want to know how do people here watch anime?

I'd assume that is because of gov't regulations and tarriffs.[/quote]
What is "tarriffs"? I tried to look it up in dictionary but I couldn't find it.
Maybe our government wants to "protect" our own anime.
And they also say that Japanese cartoon contains too much H and violence, which is not suitable for teenagers.
Another reason I think is that there are not so many people like anime in China, and pirate is very common, so anime DVDs cannot be sold very well even if they are available.
biran007

Unread postby Kiraiya » April 3rd, 2008, 10:45 pm

A tariff is a tax imposed on imported goods to regulate the amount of goods that are imported into the country. For example, since China believes that japanese anime is a bad influence on children they impose a large tax on imported anime DVDs therefore causing japanese anime companies to reduce the amount of shipments to China.
Kiraiya
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 4th, 2008, 12:12 am

Well said.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kiraiya » April 4th, 2008, 12:41 am

biran007 wrote:What is "tarriffs"? I tried to look it up in dictionary but I couldn't find it.

Since we're helping you with your english...

since "tariffs" is plural you should ask "What are "tariffs"? or "What is a "tariff(singular)"

And they also say that Japanese cartoon contains too much H and violence, which is not suitable for teenagers.
Another reason I think is that there are not so many people like anime in China, and pirate is very common, so anime DVDs cannot be sold very well even if they are available.

That first also is unnecessary and change cartoon to cartoons since in that context cartoon is plural.
That second sentence is phrased strangely. "Another reason for which I believe that japanese anime DVD"s are unsuccessful is that..." instead of "there are not so many people like anime in China" try "the are not many people in China that like anime" instead of pirate you used it as a verb therefore you should use pirating A so clause is grammatically incorrect. That clause is more efficiently written as another sentence. "As a result, anime DVDs don't sell very well." The "even if they were available" part is implied therefore stating it is redundant and makes the statement sound weird.
Kiraiya
Crack Desu!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat