Touhou Project

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Touhou Project

Unread postby DarkRedSky » March 11th, 2008, 2:38 am

Ok so I'm playing these shoot'em ups all under the touhou project. Currently I'm playing; Imperishable Night, Mountain of Faith, Perfect Cherry Blossom, Phantasmagoria of Flower View and Shoot the Bullet.

There is only 2 words I can use to describe these games: BULLET HELL. It's so freaking hard, yet so addicting at the same time. Anyone play these games? If so I would love to get replays from you. The best I've done so far is stage 4 on Mountain of Faith with a highscore of 50 million.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » March 11th, 2008, 3:04 am

Aha. Phantasm 11 in PCB in the hardest difficulty took me over 2 weeks to beat (and I barely beat it. Had one life and no bombs left).

It helps a lot to watch replays on youtube and know where to go, etc. (Although I don't really do that unless I always die at a particular part).

Although I stopped playing a while ago. Nowadays, I only occasionally netplay Phantasmagoria of Flower View with friends.

(Fyi, there are translation patches for a couple of the Touhou games, in case you didn't know.)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » March 11th, 2008, 5:01 am

xD Finally a Touhou thread eh?

I've played it, but can't seem to get any good at it, so I tried to progress through STB since it's 'quickest' to get over and done with (as in rage faster). I've tried th7, 7.5, 9, 9.5 and 10. I have 5 and below but have yet to try it. Also, my keyboard (the qwerty type) is impossible to play 9.5 on.

Got up to stage 5 (meaning beat everything till then), then gave up. How do you beat China?!?!?!?! I'm considering skipping the ones that are impossible, but that'll break my playing style =X
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Henduluin » March 11th, 2008, 7:17 am

Amateurs, all of you.

Just keep going until you succeed :p

Couple of notes:

- StB, awesome as it is, doesn't make for a good practice for the other games since there's no shooting involved. Not to mention almost all of StB's cards, especially the latter ones, rely on abusing the camera to get through.
- Abuse practice mode. Have a stage you can't beat? Play it 10 times in a row in practice, and only then go for a full run. Full runs tend to tire you out, making it harder to learn new patterns.
- Skip easy mode, go for normal. Easy mode is just that, easy. You need to constantly challenge yourself to improve. Always play at a difficulty a little too high for you. Don't use easy for practice either, use the stage practice mode for that.

I personally haven't had the time lately to play the games (nor motivation, damn movement bug), and I'm at (9) level now, but they're great.
It takes quite a bit of time and devotion to get really good though.

Anyhow, I have a bunch of vids on youtube, although most of them are from IN's spellcard challenge thingy with some StB thrown in. I never figured out how to properly record stages...
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby idontknoW » March 11th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Henduluin wrote:- Skip easy mode, go for normal. Easy mode is just that, easy. You need to constantly challenge yourself to improve. Always play at a difficulty a little too high for you.

why... why do I agree with that statement so badly? True true. skip easy mode. Feeling the normal/harder modes make you adapt to the game faster and better.

also, disable frameskipping.

yet, i never finished a touhou game on hard.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Henduluin » March 11th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Hmm, apparently I don't suck as badly as I thought I did. I just beat my PCB normal-mode high-score >.> Although the run was seriously sloppy... oh well.

(If anyone's interested here's a replay file)

Anyhow, I can't believe I forgot this one...

- Learn to bomb. This is crucial, especially in Mountain of Faith where ZUN created the game in such a way you *have* to bomb to get through the stages, unless you're god.
A well placed bomb can not only save your life or effectively cut through an entire spellcard, at certain points you can abuse them to get mad score. (also, in TH7 and above, countering ftw~ It *is* possible to counter in TH6, but good luck with that. lol 0.1 second delay.)
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby rubberchicken » March 11th, 2008, 4:11 pm

real men play The Highly Responsive to Prayers
rubberchicken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » March 11th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Actually real men play lunatic mode or extra start. Now that's what true hell is. I died 30 seconds in on lunatic mode for PCB.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Henduluin » March 11th, 2008, 7:37 pm

Extra is easy. The only true challenging extra stage is PCB's phantasm, and even then. Lunatic is far harder.
(Ok, and Q.E.D. obviously, but that card is just h4x)

Anyhow, don't just jump into Lunatic. It'll do more harm than good. Slowly build up your skills.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Unlimited_Blade_Works » March 12th, 2008, 2:24 am

I've been interested in playing this. Is it a commercial game? how do I get it?
Unlimited_Blade_Works
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby rubberchicken » March 12th, 2008, 3:59 am

The company's website is at http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/, although of course it's in moonspeak. The oldest of the Windows games (which is actually the sixth game in the series) game out in '02 or thereabouts, so I'm not sure if it's buyable anymore. On the other hand, the most recent one (the 10th) came out last summer.
rubberchicken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Henduluin » March 12th, 2008, 7:49 am

Paletweb should have all the games. Last time I checked anyway.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArthurPepper » March 26th, 2008, 1:54 am

I liked Fatal/Fake, but i wait that the Fate/unlimited codes get better than fatal/fake
"Your head is not elegant, but I will accept it for tonight." - Assasin

"The cake is a lie." - Message

ArthurPepper
Might just like this board

Unread postby WingZero » March 26th, 2008, 2:53 am

ArthurPepper wrote:I liked Fatal/Fake, but i wait that the Fate/unlimited codes get better than fatal/fake

Wrong topic.

Epic fail.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » March 26th, 2008, 12:48 pm

Lol how did that get here?
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » May 1st, 2008, 8:05 pm

Yose.

Touhou 11 - Subterranean Animism (WTF name?) announced.

I gotta admit, even for Touhou, that name is just weird.

Release date: I haven't a clue.

Also, anyone try the full demo for Scarlet Weather Rhapsody yet? (TH10.5 , think Immaterial and Missing Power)

It's pretty fun.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby idontknoW » May 2nd, 2008, 5:13 am

WingZero wrote:Touhou 11 - Subterranean Animism (WTF name?) announced.

yeeesssss. looking forward to that one.
here's a related link about it
probably out on the next comiket or something as for a release date.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby LoSs » May 2nd, 2008, 11:31 am

iamp@mizuumi.net for match anytime.
Last edited by LoSs on May 25th, 2008, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoSs
Addict

Unread postby Ciel » May 2nd, 2008, 2:12 pm

idontknoW wrote:
Henduluin wrote:- Skip easy mode, go for normal. Easy mode is just that, easy. You need to constantly challenge yourself to improve. Always play at a difficulty a little too high for you.

why... why do I agree with that statement so badly? True true. skip easy mode. Feeling the normal/harder modes make you adapt to the game faster and better.
Plus easy mode is sometimes limiting you. In EoSD you can't reach Remilia if you play on easy. That and:

:P

That said, i beat the windows ones (except stb) and Mystic Square for pc98, but only on normal. I suck too much on those kinds of games to beat the harder modes.
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby rubberchicken » May 3rd, 2008, 4:11 pm

I must really suck. The only Windows game that I can beat on normal is Imperishable Night.

Unless I cheat, that is. For some reason, one of my user profiles slows way down whenever anything remotely graphics-intensive is running. Makes things much easier.
rubberchicken
Crack Addic!

Next

Return to General Chat