Vista Ultimate MUIs?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Vista Ultimate MUIs?

Unread postby bchan009 » March 10th, 2008, 3:49 am

Hey - I hear that Windows Vista Ultimate has MUIs that actually change the language of the entire Windows Interface (as opposed to the language packs in XP that made it possible to show asian text in only certain places). Will these really aid me in my Japanese gaming endeavors?

If so, is there a way to change the language for certain apps only, and keep Windows in English otherwise? I know that in XP, certain Korean games only display text properly once you convert the region setting to Korean...but that fucks with the fonts used by the rest of the system (ugly serif fonts for English characters in all menus and dialogs/slashes being replaced by odd symbol). Perhaps this feature in Vista will fix the problem?

I'm only familiar with language options in XP and am new to Vista (and have Ultimate). I'm not sure if I want to install MUIs that give the ability to translate the ENTIRE operating system (start menu, dialog boxes, etc.) into Jap. =)
bchan009
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Message » March 10th, 2008, 6:39 am

MUI? Modern User Interface? I don't think that's what you mean though...

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, but have you ever heard of applocale?

Unread postby bchan009 » March 10th, 2008, 8:49 am

Allow me to explain - my question was phrased pretty badly.

MUI stands for "Multi-Language User Interface", and is only available in Vista Ultimate and Enterprise. In XP, you could set region and language settings - this allowed you to read asian text and perhaps change the system font. However, all of Windows (dialogs, windows, messages) remained in English. So no matter what you did, you'd have English windows running in a japanese region setting.

The MUIs are different - you actually change the language of ALL of Windows. Not only can you display Asian text, but now EVERYTHING is in Japanese - it's as if you had a japanese version of Vista. It's as if you went to Japan, bought Vista, and installed it on your computer. The MUIs allow you to change the entire OS language to any one you want. If you want to confuse your friends and turn your OS into Vista in Swahili, you can.

I was just wondering if this was useful feature or not - idk if anyone else has Vista Ultimate.

=)

And yeah, I've heard of AppLocale - I used it on XP all the time. =)
bchan009
Posting more than n00bs

Re: Vista Ultimate MUIs?

Unread postby Paci » March 15th, 2008, 5:05 pm

bchan, I use Vista Ultimate and although SOME games will work with the English regional setting, many games will not (as in the past). Changing it to Japanese does do odd things such as altering default fonts in some programs as well as switching the backslash into the Japanese Yen symbol. Nevertheless, it allows you to play while still retaining an English Windows interface. I don't think downloading the Japanese MUI would help if you still retain the English regional setting, as Windows would probably still attempt to read non-Unicode programs in English, hence returning gibberish. If anything, I'd think an entirely Japanese windows interface would make it less useful than just changing the region.

You can try experimenting for the betterment of mankind and getting back to us. :D
Paci
Totally hardly posted

Return to General Chat