Byousoku 5cm

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Who Loves Byousoku 5cm per second?

Yes
53%
No
6%
This is the 5th time I'm watching it.
13%
Byousoku 5cm? Whats that?
28%

Total votes : 32

Byousoku 5cm

Unread postby DarkRedSky » February 25th, 2008, 11:21 pm

Who saw this?... I saw it and it's a great movie. If you haven't watched it, do it now. Then maybe we would appreciate our partners more.
Last edited by DarkRedSky on February 26th, 2008, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Re: Byousoku 5cm

Unread postby zweiterversuch » February 25th, 2008, 11:40 pm

DarkRedSky wrote:Who saw this?... I saw it and it's a great movie. If you haven't watched it, do it now. Then maybe we would appreciate our partners more.

Who saw what?
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby Alucard » February 25th, 2008, 11:58 pm

zweiterversuch wrote:Who saw what?

Byousoku 5cm. Byousoku 5 Centimeter. 5 Centimeters Per Second. Newest film from Makoto Shinkai.
Alucard
Addict

Unread postby zweiterversuch » February 26th, 2008, 12:08 am

Alucard wrote:
zweiterversuch wrote:Who saw what?

Byousoku 5cm. Byousoku 5 Centimeter. 5 Centimeters Per Second. Newest film from Makoto Shinkai.

can you find it in youtube?
8 inches in a week!

zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby DarkRedSky » February 26th, 2008, 1:03 am

Its available on Veoh. The movie comes in 3 parts; Okasho (Correct my spelling if wrong), Cosmonaut and lastly Byousuko 5cm.
It's not sci-fi, or fantasy. The movie will move you. Makoto Shinkai outdid himself. Really, the ending was.... touching and bittersweet.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby zweiterversuch » February 26th, 2008, 1:06 am

DarkRedSky wrote:Its available on Veoh. The movie comes in 3 parts; Okasho (Correct my spelling if wrong), Cosmonaut and lastly Byousuko 5cm.
It's not sci-fi, or fantasy. The movie will move you. Makoto Shinkai outdid himself. Really, the ending was.... touching and bittersweet.

well I will see it.
the funny thing is I know a movie of the same kind. It is about a couple (or two friends I don't remember) and they want to meet each other before they must part away.
man Its kinda embarrasing to say it but that time I really cried. Just like when d' capprio died.
8 inches in a week!

zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby Maes » February 26th, 2008, 2:37 am

It's quite spectacular imo. Amazing visuals and a very nice story.
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » February 26th, 2008, 3:47 am

Visuals are amazing (as usual) but I hate his emo way of story telling.
Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Gram49 » February 26th, 2008, 5:46 am

Wow, the ending was really sad but i enjoyed it. I think that it ended that way because he was still living in the past. Either seek that girl out (he had a chance after college since he was on his own again) or get over it and move on. The background was just amazing though. The artwork really made this story worth watching.
Gram49
Addict

Unread postby lolipedofin » April 11th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Just watched it.... finally.

It was touching, it was awesome, it made me cry.... :cry:

My feeling after watching it, although some tears actually made it way out, the feeling i got is more like gasping, like a held cry and my chest felt kinda hurt... I don't know, maybe i am a bit to melancholic, but definitely i'm not exaggerating. I surely won't be able to sleep peacefully tonite.

One big round of applause to Makoto Shinkai... this story handled by wrong director would definitely be a pain to watch and will be the longest one hour in anyone life. But in Shinkai's hand we actually hope the one hour would be longer. He made a story so boring to become very interesting. He handled each scene beautifully, choose the best angle possible, make even the slightest breeze to look dramatic and capture the solitude of Tohno in the best way possible. If you ask me i'll vote for him to win the next academy award for "Best Picture"*. For me, this movie is certainly more captivating than "Beauty and the Beast".

I'm not gonna be too philosophical and try to interpret all the thing Shinkai want to convey with this movie, because i have no confidence at all. I might have to watch this over 5 times to really understand all the value and emotion this movie held. One thing for sure that i understand (vaguely) is about distance, The subtitle did said "3 chain of short story of their distance"... It's still hard to interpret, but it's something about reaching it, about going the distance like the Elish satellite that's finally made it's way to the edge of the Solar Sysytem.... More than that, i have no courage to interpret it

Can't say anything else, Must watch movie for everyone

*Beauty and the Beast, made by Disney is the only Animated Movie ever to receive a nomination in Academy Award for the category of Best Picture. It is considered a cultural heritage of United States of America.
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Catastrophe » April 11th, 2008, 8:05 pm

lolipedofin wrote:Just watched it.... finally.

It was touching, it was awesome, it made me cry.... :cry:

My feeling after watching it, although some tears actually made it way out, the feeling i got is more like gasping, like a held cry and my chest felt kinda hurt... I don't know, maybe i am a bit to melancholic, but definitely i'm not exaggerating. I surely won't be able to sleep peacefully tonite.

One big round of applause to Makoto Shinkai... this story handled by wrong director would definitely be a pain to watch and will be the longest one hour in anyone life. But in Shinkai's hand we actually hope the one hour would be longer. He made a story so boring to become very interesting. He handled each scene beautifully, choose the best angle possible, make even the slightest breeze to look dramatic and capture the solitude of Tohno in the best way possible. If you ask me i'll vote for him to win the next academy award for "Best Picture"*. For me, this movie is certainly more captivating than "Beauty and the Beast".

I'm not gonna be too philosophical and try to interpret all the thing Shinkai want to convey with this movie, because i have no confidence at all. I might have to watch this over 5 times to really understand all the value and emotion this movie held. One thing for sure that i understand (vaguely) is about distance, The subtitle did said "3 chain of short story of their distance"... It's still hard to interpret, but it's something about reaching it, about going the distance like the Elish satellite that's finally made it's way to the edge of the Solar Sysytem.... More than that, i have no courage to interpret it

Can't say anything else, Must watch movie for everyone

*Beauty and the Beast, made by Disney is the only Animated Movie ever to receive a nomination in Academy Award for the category of Best Picture. It is considered a cultural heritage of United States of America.

nothing else to add. well said pedo-sama (lol)
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 11th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Jesus Christ TC, must you show off how much of a weeaboo you are by calling 5 Centimeters per Second by its Japanese name? The name 99% of the people won't recognize? Shit, at least put the english name in parenthesis if you can't contain your glee at knowing the jap name.

"HAI GUISE I CAEN SPEAKZ TEH JAPANESE AND I IS KEWL SO I USE JAP NAME INSTEAD OF THE ENGLISH TRANS CUZ REAL MEN WATCH SUBS DESU! DUBS ALL SUCK AND IF YOU WATCH DEM JOO ARE BAKA! WATASHI WA [insert name] DESU! WAKA WAKA! KK I IZ KEWL"

:roll:
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » April 11th, 2008, 11:11 pm

In after troll.

The poll title is wrong.

Byousoku 5cm per second?

Why are you mixing the English and Japanese titles for no good reason?

And I don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's a good movie, sure. It's touching, but it didn't move me to tears or anything. Although if I had no experience with Asian drama / other sad shit, it might have.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 12th, 2008, 12:24 am

lol I'm a troll? Hah the day I'm a troll, your dick will fall off.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Trail » April 12th, 2008, 7:50 am

I have watched it. It was good, but i didn't "love it". Still a good story though. (Nice visuals are nice, of course).

And by the way, i've first learnt it as Byousoku 5cm. I call it that way. Anidb ftw?
Trail
Might just like this board

Unread postby DarkRedSky » April 12th, 2008, 3:40 pm

I'm lost. I was told the movie was called Byosoku 5cm per second. And I found it like that. So... how exactly do I know Japanese or how exactly am I a weeaboo?

Chunky-MonkeyLOL, all because 99% of the people don't know what it is (by your calculations anyway) doesn't mean I got the movie name wrong. Was I suppose to make a thread for each 3 parts? Also if there is a an english name I would like to know, if not I would like for you to take your rude self out of this thread. I was just personally wanted to ask how people thought of the movie, not OMFG YOU WEEABOO YOU WROTE THE NAME IN JAP or other stuff like that.

By the way... Have any of you watched Voices of a Distant Star (Hoshi no Koe - Happy?) and the Place Promised in Our Early Days (Kumo no Mukō, Yakusoku no Basho)?
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 12th, 2008, 4:52 pm

5. Centimeters. Per. Second. Not that hard to remember is it?

Eitherway, I found this movie to be excellent, enjoyed it both when the fansubs came out and when I bought the dvd a few weeks ago. Great movie, but not for everyone.
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » April 12th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:5. Centimeters. Per. Second. Not that hard to remember is it?

Eitherway, I found this movie to be excellent, enjoyed it both when the fansubs came out and when I bought the dvd a few weeks ago. Great movie, but not for everyone.

That I agree.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby pchunter » April 14th, 2008, 8:11 pm

wow, after watching this movie i can say, "THIS MOVIE HAS THE BEST ANIMATION EVER??". I cant say that this was one of the saddest movies i ever seen, but it has one of the best endings ive ever seen (UNLIKE ALMOST ALL THE ANIME OUT THERE). 11/10 points. The more i think about it the more everything matches together beautifully.
pchunter
Crack Addic!

Unread postby lolipedofin » April 16th, 2008, 7:06 am

Catastrophe wrote:nothing else to add. well said pedo-sama (lol)
Hehe.. thanx! 8)

@Chunkey-MonkeyLOL: Hahaha, dude... i know this anime first as "Byousoku go senchimeteru" before i know that it was localized into "5 Centimeters a second" in North America DVD release.

WingZero wrote:And I don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's a good movie, sure. It's touching, but it didn't move me to tears or anything. Although if I had no experience with Asian drama / other sad shit, it might have.

Story-wise, i agree. Can you compare this to 1 Litre of Tears?? Of course not! You have to prepare a bucket and hold it when you are watching to prevent your tears soaking the carpet in the living room. This movie is terrific in the way it was pictured, the nuances it captured, the emotion, the solitude of the main chara and everything. Down to the how the lights fall, what time it happens, the breeze of wind, The small gesture and body language of the charas... if you pay attention, they are all trying to convey something to the audience.

I still find myself troubled, unable to interpret one thing though. What is Byousoku 5 cm?? Of course i'm not asking the literal translation! I'm pondering to what it means. What does Byousoku 5 cm have to do with their relationship and the future they hold? it's seem to be the central od the story but i still can't make anything out of it...

Btw, i just found a review somewhere in the net, about how Takaki is the one at fault for dwelling in the past and doing nothing about it. I kinda seeing it from a different light. I don't think there's anything wrong or right in this matter, it's called life. If you want to take it from another point of view, you can also say that Akari is at fault for not clinging to their relationship more.

After rewatching the movie, i think the scene involving the last letters they both wrote that they want to give to each other when they meet, i think from thereon their future is already panned out. The letters in the first chapter, i think it symbolizes the feeling they want to convey to each other, and when Takaki not holding it tighter in the station, letting it got blown by the wind and not chasing it afterwards... i feel it represent his lack of determination to hold what dear to him. And when Akari hold the letter in her hand but unable to give it to Takaki, i think it's represent her lack of courage toward her feeling and lack of courage to pursue what she felt important.

PS: This movie is full of symbol and hidden meaning. And i think it'll make interesting discussion... :D. Opinion toward mine will be appreciated...
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to General Chat