Cigarettes and Kara no Kyoukai

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Tearmorph » March 1st, 2008, 10:50 am

-[J1N]- wrote:I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard during my viewing of an episode of Darker Than Black. Someone said that when smoking, it's more toxic to passive smoke than it is to the person smoking - with certain highly achievable conditions, of course. I guess it'd be about a table length apart or closer for it to be more dangerous to the passive smoker.

As far as i know, the chemicals in smoke change as they cool in the air. This might make it more toxic, but the amount the passive smoker inhales is far less than what the smoker inhales. Also the smoker inhales tar, while the passive smoker doesn't. I'm not sure which one is the most damaged, but my guess is the smoker.
Close The World...txeN ehT nepO
Tearmorph
Might just like this board

Unread postby miszou » March 1st, 2008, 10:55 am

-[J1N]- wrote:I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard during my viewing of an episode of Darker Than Black. Someone said that when smoking, it's more toxic to passive smoke than it is to the person smoking - with certain highly achievable conditions, of course. I guess it'd be about a table length apart or closer for it to be more dangerous to the passive smoker.

its because the smoke coming from the tip of the cigarette is much more dangerous than the smoke you actually inhale through the cigarette.

here read some on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_hand_smoke

Second hand smoke gives you some of the negative things from smoking while not giving you the positive things :\
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Donvermicelli » March 1st, 2008, 7:43 pm

Passive smoking is the most toxic so yes, when you smoke the people around you suffer the most from the effects.
Donvermicelli
Addict

Unread postby lolipedofin » March 3rd, 2008, 5:02 pm

I can say that I will never smoke, however, being an asthmatic, and launching into fits of coughing from other people's smoke is bad enough.
Kretek ciggaretes, Indonesians trademark ciggaretes was invented by an asthmatic old man to heal his asthma. He used rub clove oil on his chest to relieve his asthma, thinking that it's not good enough, he want to inhale the clove directly thus giving him the idea of mixing clove and tobacco to create a clove ciggarette known as kretek. The story said that it worked. Wanna try?? lol, i'm just kidding... it's probably only a myth, not to say that he didn't put any chemical or preservative additive to his cigarette, unlike all the big companies nowadays.

You think the smokers didn't inhale the smoke that came from the tip,, not to mention they can re-inhale the smoke they already poof out, They're the closest to the cig in their hand. Well, all in all it's still unfair to involve innocent civilians to the deadly smokes. And isn't that the reason they prohibit smoking in public area?? If it's open air, well you have to bear with it... Not to mention that the smoke will less likely cought your throat. The only place where i found people still smoke freely in public place is only Middle east nations (Arab country). During stay at Jordan after my travel to Israel, people actually smoke in the indoor restaurant for breakfast in a 5 star hotel :shock: .
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kanzar » March 3rd, 2008, 11:50 pm

Nah, they hardly ever breathe in the smoke.

The smoker will take air in through the cigarette - but it passes through the filter first. They then breathe out smoke which isn't as bad as the smoke that comes from the cigarette's tip. But they still don't breathe in any of the 'really bad' stuff, since every time they breathe in, they use the filter.

This is, assuming, that the cigarette being smoked has a filter. :P
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Unread postby rubberchicken » March 4th, 2008, 3:19 am

Kanzar wrote:Nah, they hardly ever breathe in the smoke.

The smoker will take air in through the cigarette - but it passes through the filter first. They then breathe out smoke which isn't as bad as the smoke that comes from the cigarette's tip. But they still don't breathe in any of the 'really bad' stuff, since every time they breathe in, they use the filter.

Actually, yes they do. Smokers breathe normally as well; they don't suck every single breath they take through a cigarette. They get plenty of the unfiltered stuff that's floating around.
rubberchicken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Kanzar » March 4th, 2008, 9:14 pm

rubberchicken wrote:Actually, yes they do. Smokers breathe normally as well; they don't suck every single breath they take through a cigarette. They get plenty of the unfiltered stuff that's floating around.

Hmm... 'suppose. I wouldn't know. ;) It would be kind of hard to calculate how much of the unfiltered smoke they breathe in, since 1: they take less breaths of it than a bystander, but 2: they're at the centre of the smoke. o.o
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Unread postby serialies » March 7th, 2008, 12:54 am

in this day and age, anyone who can afford to browse internet will know about the hazzards of smoking, if they continue to smoke despite all that its really up to them.

i considered taking up smoking (i like the aroma :P...but that depends on the brand), but many sporting clubs will ban you if you do, so i decided not to...not to mention of course, the obvious health problems that arise from smoking.

as for a cultural thing...smoking suits some people, but not others. its not "childish" to think "hey, when that girl/guy has a cig in her/his mouth, it adds to their aesthetic value", but it IS childish to think "hey, i wanna be cool, ill smoke" or "smoking is automatic cool".

and in reality? fast food kills more people than smoking, obesity is much worse than smoking, its basically a grenade of health problems.
oh, and use of crude oils, and all its derivatives (global warming), if the temperature rises about...2-3 degrees celcius world wide on average, then we are in deep deep trouble, and given the rate of increase...that could happen within the next thousand years, probably less.

much bigger probems than smoking, but people seem to care alot less about it...proof that advertising does wonders...and further proof that money can buy silence.
I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member. Man, I don't know how I get away with it.
serialies
Crack Desu!

Unread postby lolipedofin » March 7th, 2008, 7:00 am

Whoa... serialies wrote something good there.... You should expand it and write as a piece in your blog (if you have any)...

Btw, i am kinda overweight and i do smoke... How hazardous is that??
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raitei » March 7th, 2008, 7:37 am

smoking = hazard
overweight = hazard

smoking + overweight = 2 x hazard = 2h

lifespan = expected life time - {(t) x1 week }^ h, whereas t is a constant. h > 1.
Last edited by Raitei on March 7th, 2008, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby lolipedofin » March 7th, 2008, 9:31 am

Crap... Shaddup will, ya?!

Were you simply joking, or are those formula you've been studying night in night out starting to eat your brain... hahahaha.... everybody, support Raitei! we have a student facing final exam here....
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raitei » March 7th, 2008, 12:55 pm

lolipedofin wrote:or are those formula you've been studying night in night out starting to eat your brain... hahahaha.... everybody, support Raitei! we have a student facing final exam here....
blast. you hit my sore spot. :cry:

btw, since my family detest smoking in any way, so here I am, a no fan of smoking :P
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby md » March 8th, 2008, 9:33 am

miszou wrote:here read some on it:

A United States District Court ruled in favor of the tobacco industry in 1998, finding that the EPA had failed to follow proper scientific and epidemiologic practices and had cherry picked evidence to support conclusions which they had committed to in advance. The court stated in part, "EPA publicly committed to a conclusion before research had begun...adjusted established procedure and scientific norms to validate the Agency's public conclusion... In conducting the ETS Risk Assessment, disregarded information and made findings on selective information; did not disseminate significant epidemiologic information; deviated from its Risk Assessment Guidelines; failed to disclose important findings and reasoning"

Smoking is a good target for luxury taxes, because people that don't smoke don't mind taxing the smokers, and smokers are annoying.

This thread sounds like my life science class from Junior High.
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby NekoShell21 » March 9th, 2008, 10:07 am

I tried a cigarette when I was 14... Wasn't one of my smarter ideas at the time. I ****ing hate the idea of people smoking that crap. I live with 2 of them currently, I swear, I can just feel the cancer in my lungs. -.- Smoking in real life is not in any way cool.

Though, honestly, smoking in anime COULD be "cool", but I've yet to see it done properly.
I dunno how you guys put up with it in real life though, the smell makes me gag alot of the time.
ロー・アイアス, 熾天覆う七つの円環
NekoShell21
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby lolipedofin » March 13th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Just got Wind -a breath of heart- from friend.... :D

Is there any better companion of playing it other than a cup of coffe and a pack of cigarettes??? LOL. Parents aren't home tonight, so i can smoke in the living room... i think i'm gonna play this til morning...
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Lucifiel » March 30th, 2008, 5:34 am

I remember trying smoking once and it killed my lungs and throat so hard, I was barely able to croak out my words while talking. So no more smoking for me. Plus cigarette smoke is disgusting. And cigs stink a lot too... yuck.

Besides, they've got tar, pesticide, insecticide, etc. and a lot of other things that are gross.
Lucifiel
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kiraiya » March 30th, 2008, 5:49 am

Girls smoking is by far the most disgusting thing on this planet...i am never gonna smoke...i like the way i look now why make my image worse?
"Onii-chan Ich Liebe Dich!!!!!!!!!!!!"-German lolies ; Accept no Substitutes...
Kiraiya
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » March 30th, 2008, 5:57 am

Smoking cigs/cigars/weed blows. Doing meth blows. Doing coke/crack/cocain blows. Doing heroin blows. Opium sucks. [instert drug] sucks ass.

Sad but true: a few swallows of beer gets my head light, and one gulp of stronger alcohol (whiskey, rum, vodka, sake, etc) makes me almost throw up. I can't stand the taste of coffee. But the two times I've ever smoked a cigar (first 14, second a few months ago), I finished both of em without ever coughing/lungs fuckin' up/feeling bad. My body had no negative reaction what so ever. Man I'm such a kid, eh?

Real men do shrooms and cid. Although I dropped the shrooms because I got fed up with the taste, but cid still serves its purpose for me.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby biran007 » April 1st, 2008, 10:36 am

smoking is forbidden in public places in Singapore, and the fine is horrible if one got cought...
i do not smoke, nor will i
biran007
Might just like this board

Unread postby lolipedofin » April 5th, 2008, 7:07 am

Chunkey-MonkeyLOL wrote:Smoking cigs/cigars/weed blows. Doing meth blows. Doing coke/crack/cocain blows. Doing heroin blows. Opium sucks. [instert drug] sucks ass.

Sad but true: a few swallows of beer gets my head light, and one gulp of stronger alcohol (whiskey, rum, vodka, sake, etc) makes me almost throw up. I can't stand the taste of coffee. But the two times I've ever smoked a cigar (first 14, second a few months ago), I finished both of em without ever coughing/lungs fuckin' up/feeling bad. My body had no negative reaction what so ever. Man I'm such a kid, eh?

Real men do shrooms and cid. Although I dropped the shrooms because I got fed up with the taste, but cid still serves its purpose for me.

Don't post anymore in this forum, your title in this forum fits you already... "Crack Addict" :lol: :lol: :lol: . Haha just kidding. But dude, you surely did all the stuff you wrote?? I never touch any weed before, let alone drugs. I want to break the belief that cigs is the gateway to drugs... i want to prove that i'm not the case....

The sad thing about me regarding drinking is, while i love alcohol, my body can't stand it, i always drink heavy, but i never hit jackpot or terrible hangover in the morning, instead what i got is horrible rash and fever... my whole body is practically red, it's all itchy, and my temperature is slightly hot... I'm allergic to alcohol... how sad is that??? It could lasts for up to 3 days!

@biran007: By public places you mean enclosed building and bus stop right... i guess most advanced country employ the same rule... But it's fine to smoke in the open... I went there few times and smoking in the morning or evening around Bishan is the best!! 8)
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat