Anyone here like these animes?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Anyone here like these animes?

Unread postby Ida » February 19th, 2008, 8:48 am

Any Mushishi, Kino No Tabi, Haibane Renmei fans here?

I find that while the material is definitely different between these three anime and Tsukihime but would definitely put them in the same category/genre for the narration style.

Anyone agree with me here?

My 2 cents,
Ida
Ida
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby -[J1N]- » February 19th, 2008, 9:29 am

I've only watched Mushishi out of those 3, and I really enjoyed it. The anime's not too different to the manga, which makes it enjoyable to watch, since everything's still there and all.

I actually have to say I find Tsukihime to be quite different to Mushishi. The atmosphere to me is of a different level, and the way the stories are told seem quite different.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Henduluin » February 19th, 2008, 10:41 am

Mushishi is, IMO, one of the best anime ever (it is also one of only 3 series I know of, of which the anime is better than the manga original). I'm severely biased towards slice-of-life anime however. Even more so when it takes place in a semi-realistic fantasy setting.
(I'd even go as far as to say realistic, as Mushi seem to be based on astral wildlife... although that could just be a coincidence)
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Tearmorph » February 19th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Haibane Renmei is one of my fav series, and Mushishi is also a very, very good series. I haven't watched all of Kino no Tabi though.
Those kind of peaceful stories, are my favorite kind series^^

Serial Experiments: Lain is my all-time fav though.
Tearmorph
Might just like this board

Unread postby Sobzob » February 19th, 2008, 3:09 pm

Kino no Tabi is a fantastic show, I love it. It's one of my favorites.
And Haibane Renmei is pretty damn good, too. I haven't watched Mushishi yet, but I'm planning to do so sometime.
Sobzob
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Donvermicelli » February 19th, 2008, 8:26 pm

I really loved watching mushishi, although I read somewhere that new manga chapters are still being made and that there's also a real action movie :o

Just wondering who has watched:
-Deathnote
-CodeGeass
-BlackLagoon
Donvermicelli
Addict

Unread postby Maes » February 19th, 2008, 11:13 pm

Haibane Renmei is actually one of my favorite anime of all time.
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby lolipedofin » February 20th, 2008, 1:49 am

I actually got all 3 of em in my pc... but haven't touched any of them except for one episode of kino no tabi... However, reading how everybody seems to love them, maybe i'll give it a shot.

For Deathnote, Code Geass, and Black Lagoon, those are quite a mainstream anime, i reckon more people have watched it then the previous 3. I only watched Code Geass out of all 3 though, Deathnote just read the manga.
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Unlimited_Blade_Works » February 20th, 2008, 2:40 am

Donvermicelli wrote:I really loved watching mushishi, although I read somewhere that new manga chapters are still being made and that there's also a real action movie :o

-Deathnote
-CodeGeass
-BlackLagoon

Death Note anime bored me, watching guys argue over nothing in a screen isn't that appealing. But the manga is still my current favorite.

Code Geass is one of my favorite anime, bearing very similar themes with Death Note. I mean, Lelouch and Raito are basically the same person set in different universes.
Unlimited_Blade_Works
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Naota » February 20th, 2008, 7:21 am

Haibane Renmei is definitely one of my all-time favourite anime series, especially because it stands out so much compared to everything else. (by having things in it that don't stand out like warfare or murder, and instead telling an interesting story in a completely different way.) I've even gone as far as to put a neat little reference to its signature wind turbine fields in one of the levels I made for the HL2 mod I'm working with.
"They marched onwards, fire against earth, bodies piling ever higher for the whims of rival demons, content in their game. The masses never questioned their intent nor knew their masters, serving Hell more than Heaven in their madness. For madness went unchallenged here, and the great machine of many faces, skins, and thoughts continued to turn in silence."
Naota
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Ida » February 20th, 2008, 10:03 am

Ya I just find that those 3 anime, as well as Tsukihime are just so good. The story telling is amazing for all the stories and the reason why I kind of put them in the same category is that first off, all of them are "realistic" in terms of how the characters act and so on.

Donvermicelli wrote:I really loved watching mushishi, although I read somewhere that new manga chapters are still being made and that there's also a real action movie :o

-Deathnote
-CodeGeass
-BlackLagoon

Ya you're right that mushishi doesn't include all of the manga chapters. Also for the person who mentioned the live action verson, it's actually really, really good. I saw all three of those anime but as one person said, they are pretty mainstream. I stopped watching codegeass cause I lacked motivation to finish it. Deathnote was OK imho, but I don't really like it as much as mushishi/kino/haibane because it's not as satisfying as those types of anime. Black Lagoon was good but I thought it lacked a real story or progression behind it... It was pretty cool to say the least though :P.

Kino no tabi also has 2 movies that are OVAs, one explains Kino's past and the other... haven't watched it yet :P.
Ida
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby lolipedofin » February 20th, 2008, 2:12 pm

Unlimited_Blade_Works wrote:Code Geass is one of my favorite anime, bearing very similar themes with Death Note. I mean, Lelouch and Raito are basically the same person set in different universes.

In one of the forum i joined, you'll get some flaming for making that comment... The people there are hardcore otaku (u know what i mean?) who don't really understand how to argue, and they stood on their opinion that those animes are totally different. And you have to admit, that it is different... Unlike L, Suzaku's ideology and thinking are really naive (remind me of Fate's Shirou). He disagree with Lelouch way of doing things but did nothing himself, just sit back and do whatever Britanians told him to. And another difference is L is smart, Suzaku prettty much rely on brawn alone, but then again, even Lelouch is not as smart as Raito.... He still made some miscalculations and can be surprised by turn of events at times, unlike Raito whose only real miscalculation and and fright the whole series is right in the end of the manga.
Ida wrote:as well as Tsukihime are just so good
Are u kidding me, it's the shittiest anime i've ever seen (well, not really but still crappy). When i played the game, the only thought that cross my mind is, "how do they made such a crap out of something as good as this?!"
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Tearmorph » February 20th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Ida wrote:as well as Tsukihime are just so good.

Close The World...txeN ehT nepO
Tearmorph

Unread postby Ida » February 20th, 2008, 8:59 pm

=/ well you obviously haven't watched a lot of anime if u think tsukihime (anime) is bad... i watched the anime before the manga or the VN, with basically no knowledge of what it was about so idk, we come from different circumstances but... i mean c'mon, compared to a story like bleach (it's the same story with different content for every arc: i.e. ichigo and the gang invades some unknown fantasy dimension to save someone (rukia) against a group of captains. take 2: ichigo and his gang invades some unkown fantasy dimension to save someone (orihime) against a group of espada.) or look at deathnote, it's like the same story for the 1st and second half where L and Near are basically the same aside from the fact that Near ends up "winning" against Light. The characters are modified replicas with one another... i admit the style was very well executed and presented but the story itself was weak compared to tsukihime.

what made me like tsukihime when i first watched it was the depth of a story as simple as tsukihime's (in the anime). It was simple, but there was so much imagery involved and the atmosphere in tsukihime, while not as elaborate as the VN or manga, still kicked ass compared to other anime. I mean c'mon the way the tohno mansion was portrayed was just impossibly good.
Ida
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Maes » February 20th, 2008, 9:57 pm

The Tsukihime anime isn't bad, I just don't like how they chose to adapt it.

In one of the forum i joined, you'll get some flaming for making that comment...

I have to wonder which forum, as I might be a member there too heh.
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby mir » February 21st, 2008, 7:23 pm

Mushishi falls into the category of stuff i couldn't stand watching and dropped it after episode 10. The show kept getting recommended to me but for some reason I did not find the basic premise of the storyline appealing or all that interesting. I also absolutely hated the main character in all 3 categories: looks, personality, and voice.

Haibane Renmei: that one was alright, except for the art style that irked me till the end. Storyline was original, I liked how the atmosphere sort of changed as the show progressed.

As for the Tsukihime anime, I believe you need to have not played the games in order to enjoy it. I believe they dropped some major soap when deciding which parts to do/skip. But hey, at least Satsuki doesn't die <.<
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Donvermicelli » February 21st, 2008, 8:55 pm

mir wrote:Mushishi falls into the category of stuff i couldn't stand watching and dropped it after episode 10. The show kept getting recommended to me but for some reason I did not find the basic premise of the storyline appealing or all that interesting. I also absolutely hated the main character in all 3 categories: looks, personality, and voice.

that's basicly what got me hooked to the series :lol: the storyline basicly is't there, there's no main goal to achieve it's just a guy who forgot who he was and simply decides to help people he comes across. It's simple, laid back and calm. It's uniqueness makes it so attractive to me.
Honestly I've tried but found no way to actualy catogorize this anime, it's totally diffirent.
Donvermicelli
Addict

Unread postby Tearmorph » February 22nd, 2008, 12:09 am

mir wrote:Haibane Renmei: that one was alright, except for the art style that irked me till the end. Storyline was original, I liked how the atmosphere sort of changed as the show progressed.

aww^^ I think the art-style was amazing, which also makes me a huge fan of Yoshitoshi ABe, which is my favorite artist. I've watched nearly all of the titles he he had either directed the art and/or the story in, and they are among my all-time favorites^^ All the stories he has written/drawn are very non-mainstream and covers big subjects, inside a great story.

Theres a theory(dont really know if its a spoiler, but just in case),
that all the Haibane in Haibane Renmei are people who died committing suicide, in which the way they died are portrayed in their dreams/names. fx. Rakka, who might have died falling, kuu which might have choked and Nemu who might have died taking sleeping pills and so on.

But thats a longer discussion, which might wander off-topic. :wink:
Close The World...txeN ehT nepO
Tearmorph

Return to General Chat