Xanadu Next PC translation - Looking for technical help

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Xanadu Next PC translation - Looking for technical help

Unread postby Wyrdwad » January 13th, 2008, 2:15 am

Greetings all! I'm new here, but I'm no stranger to Japanese fan-translation. I'm pretty near fluent in Japanese, and have been putting my skills to use outside of work for these last few years by translating the two PoPoLoCrois anime series as part of the fansub group Anime-BT (http://www.anime-bt.com). It's been an awesome experience (one which I apparently don't want to end, since I've been putting off working on these last three episodes for a very long time now!), and has been a great way to keep up on my Japanese now that I'm back in the States... but sadly, my time with PoPoLoCrois is nearing its completion, and I'm very much in the market for a new translation project to keep my mind sharp once it's done!

And this time around, I'd like to do a game. Specifically, I'd like to translate Falcom's underrated PC action RPG masterpiece, Xanadu Next! In addition to being a hugely fun game, it's also not nearly as text-heavy as a full turn-based RPG would be (i.e. if I were to attempt to translate, say, a Legend of Heroes title!), and all of the dialogue that does exist is written in a decidedly stylistic, medieval voice, which is EXACTLY the kind of thing I LOVE working with. (: Seems like the perfect starting point!

Obviously, though, I wouldn't be posting this if I could do the whole thing myself. The fact of the matter is, I'm pretty technically retarded when it comes to anything beyond the very narrow scope of my daily computing activities, and I don't know the first thing about hacking or patching or what-not. I can translate, to be sure, but it's kinda tough translating to any useful extent when I don't even know how to access the game's text. (:

So what I'm looking for is someone with l33t h4x0r sk1llz! Hopefully this doesn't violate the "NO PROJECT REQUESTS!" rule noted on the board description, and I do apologize if it does (I'm taking that more as a warning against posting things like, "This game is awesome! Won't somebody translate it for me?!")... but I figure, it can't hurt to ask, right? And I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm in the wrong here, at which point I will promptly remove this message. (:

What I'd like to find is someone who can rip all the text from Xanadu Next, and supply it to me in a form that I can edit, and thus translate to English... then patch my eventual English translation back into the game, and get it to work! I'm NOT looking to illegally distribute the game, but rather do what Nightwolve has done in the past with his Ys translations: create a patch that English-speakers who already own Xanadu Next can download and apply to their copies of the game, allowing them to play it in their native language.

I've already spoken with Nightwolve and Gideon Zhi on the matter (the two most obvious candidates for help, given their histories), but to no avail. And I've posted almost this exact message on romhacking.net as well, but most of the kind folks over there are pretty unfamiliar with PC game hacking (though it's through that message board that I was directed here!). I *know* there are others out there with the skills to do this, though... and while I know you guys have never met me before, and probably have no reason to trust me, I swear I am committed to this, and I promise I will not let you down!

So if you or anyone you know might have some interest in helping a poor ol' translator supply you with Falcom goodness, please drop me a line, and I'll totally be your friend.

And as an added incentive, if you can prove to me that you're serious about helping, I will happily send you your own legal copy of the game. I mean, you've gotta HAVE the game in order to hack it, right? ;)

Thanks, and I look forward to working with you all in the future! Please be kind to the greenhorn. (:

-Tom
Wyrdwad
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TheXev » January 13th, 2008, 6:23 am

Your going to need to find a evi1 genius to hack a Falcom game. Good luck (your guna need it).

I'll level with you, after what happened to the hacker in Korea who hacked Ys 6, I wouldn't go near a Falcom game translation (even if i was up to the challange of hacking it, and I'm not).
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Wyrdwad » January 13th, 2008, 6:38 am

... What happened to the hacker in Korea? And are you certain it's not just a rumor? Deuce and Nightwolve have been hacking Falcom games for years now. They've finished translation patches for Ys I & II Eternal/Complete, Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, and Ys: The Oath in Felghana, as well as the PC-Engine Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys and the Super Famicon Ys IV: Mask of the Sun... and they're working on Ys Origin PC and Ys V SFC... and their website is actually linked from Falcom's official homepage! As long as you're not pirating their games, I'm pretty sure Falcom is cool with people writing up translation patches. (Really, it just means more money for them, since it sells more copies of the games internationally!)

Though if the culprit was Ys VI, I can see Konami taking action, maybe. But aside from the inexplicable N-Gage adaption -- which is basically a wholly different game -- Xanadu Next has never been officially released in English, and likely never will be.

And if it ever is, I'll take down the translation patch. (:

-Tom
Wyrdwad
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Chronowraith » January 16th, 2008, 3:52 pm

NightWolve @ 07-14-2005 wrote:Heh-heh. It's already being done my friend, however, I'm contemplating the wisdom in releasing a patch to the public when it's finished... I think you already knew that I cancelled the project for Ys VI PC later down the road. The reasons were that a) I learned of Konami's porting plans for the PS2 combined with b) which is what REALLY did it, that being a Korean programmer who helped me hack it in the first place informed me that legal action was being taken against him by a Korean company that was planning a localization for the PC version there (same platform). It ended OK with a cease and desist order last I checked with him, but shit, he had to get his family lawyer and meet with them...

I'd say that's what happened to him :s. g/l anyways though.

got that from this: http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/prin ... hp?t=35460
Chronowraith
Addict

Unread postby Wyrdwad » January 16th, 2008, 4:42 pm

I believe I did hear about this, actually, but from what I understand, it never happened... the story about the Korean hacker getting sued was basically a hoax. No one was ever sued for hacking Ys VI, and as I understand it, no one even ever got a cease and desist order about it!

I have no means of substantiating that, however, so I'll just leave it at, "I'm not worried." (:

-Tom
Wyrdwad
Totally hardly posted

Return to General Chat