Krkr Vs. (O)NScripter?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Krkr Vs. (O)NScripter?

Unread postby Superflonic » January 5th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Please tell me, what's the difference between the two?

Well, lets start at the beginning, what exactly is ONScripter?
When I google the term, I end up on some non-professional looking site, consisting of pretty much only Kanji.
Which I can't read :)

Is it made by an independant developer? Or is some major company behind this 'language' (if I can call ONScript a language)?

And whats the difference between ONScripter and Krkr or KiriKiri?
I heard it was a lot more user-friendly, and more stable and whatnot.

It's not like I'm going to do anything with this information, I just like to know about it, since I'm like that :)
User avatar
Superflonic
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 468
Joined: December 23rd, 2007, 2:32 pm
Location: Netherlands, Nijmegen

Unread postby Message » January 5th, 2008, 10:11 pm

NScripter (NS) is a Japanese game engine for Windows, utilizing a simple scripting language designed specifically for the creation of visual novels. It has not seen any development in years, but it used to be one of the most prominently used engines in Japan. Nowadays most professional companies design their own engines, but new NS titles are still being released today.
ONScripter (ONS) is an open-source clone of NS, written by the Japanese Ogapee and released under a GPL license. It offers a freely usable replacement for the official NS script interpreter. Around the time when mirror moon and Revolve joined forces to translate Tsukihime, chendo wrote the necessary functions to make ONS support half-width (Western) characters and submitted his work to Ogapee to add to the main program. Some time after this, insani took it upon them to continue developing the English build of ONScripter as a seperate branch, and they made a great number of improvements and additions to the code in that time.

Nowadays the English branch of ONS is being maintained by Haeleth, and development has been intermittent and slow. With insani showing some sign of life again just a few days ago, perhaps some old threads will be picked up again at some point.

krkr (pronounced as kirikiri), or officially 吉里吉里, is a scripting engine. It can be used for almost anything, but its most widespread use is together with the KAG framework (KiriKiri Adventure Game System, according to wikipedia). KAG is basically a set of simple macros that allows one to make relatively simple game scripts that would become much more complex in plain krkr code. krkr/KAG is often seen as the successor of NScripter, because they're both used for the same things. It is however NOT more user-friendly. In fact, it's a lot more complex. But in return you get a much more powerful game engine which allows for a lot more special effects and features.

Tsukihime used NScripter, so Tsukihime English uses ONScripter. Fate/stay night uses krkr, and because krkr supports half-width characters by itself, that's what F/sn English uses too.
User avatar
Message
Master of Bad Puns
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: October 25th, 2004, 6:27 pm
Location: Netherlands

Unread postby Superflonic » January 6th, 2008, 8:28 am

Message wrote:Nowadays the English branch of ONS is being maintained by Haeleth, and development has been intermittent and slow. With insani showing some sign of life again just a few days ago, perhaps some old threads will be picked up again at some point.[/qoute]

But picking up ye olde ONS, that's a bit outdated, isn't that only useful for Tsukihime then?
And since Tsukihime works fine, more updates aren't really needed, right?
Or are there other Type-Moon releases that use ONS?

[qoute]
krkr (pronounced as kirikiri), or officially 吉里吉里, is a scripting engine. It can be used for almost anything, but its most widespread use is together with the KAG framework (KiriKiri Adventure Game System, according to wikipedia). KAG is basically a set of simple macros that allows one to make relatively simple game scripts that would become much more complex in plain krkr code. krkr/KAG is often seen as the successor of NScripter, because they're both used for the same things. It is however NOT more user-friendly. In fact, it's a lot more complex. But in return you get a much more powerful game engine which allows for a lot more special effects and features.[/qoute]

And MB, that uses what engine?
Because some special effects like a burning character seem a bit too complex for ONS (since I use the engrish version of MB :))
But you say it could be used for almost everything.
Does that mean you can even go further than visual novels and run 3D games with it?

[qoute]
Tsukihime used NScripter, so Tsukihime English uses ONScripter. Fate/stay night uses krkr, and because krkr supports half-width characters by itself, that's what F/sn English uses too.


Okay, but there's a positive side and a negative side on that.
It's just more useful, because there's no need to port the NS version to the ONS version.

But Krkr is the cause of the 'mini BSOD', because the variables aren't set.
Well, from what I know, this only happens on Western computers, because they aren't compatible with the language Krkr uses.
Resulting in that blue window with an empty error window and a bar which has three buttons and a red circle with an X :)

Sigh, I seem to be unable to use the qoute system here.
But you probably get the point.
User avatar
Superflonic
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 468
Joined: December 23rd, 2007, 2:32 pm
Location: Netherlands, Nijmegen

Unread postby Message » January 6th, 2008, 12:12 pm

You're typoing "quote" as "qoute". :-)

Superflonic wrote:And since Tsukihime works fine, more updates aren't really needed, right?

As I said, NScripter is very widely used in the Japanese visual novel industry and community. There are countless games running on NS, and to translate them means to put them into ONS. Thus it is very much in our interest that development continues, see for example al|together.
Melty Blood isn't a visual novel, and as such of course doesn't use a visual novel engine. It uses its own. Also I didn't say NS could be used for almost anything, I said krkr could be used for almost anything. And yes, I suppose it would be possible to create a fighting game in krkr, but it would probably require two Core8x64's running at 10GHz each. If you catch my drift.

Superflonic wrote:It's just more useful, because there's no need to port the NS version to the ONS version.

No, there's no need to port anything. ONS is designed to function as a replacement script interpreter and works with all NS games directly (ignoring some exceptions, like Higurashi).
User avatar
Message
Master of Bad Puns
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: October 25th, 2004, 6:27 pm
Location: Netherlands

Unread postby Superflonic » January 8th, 2008, 8:48 pm

Message wrote:You're typoing "quote" as "qoute". :-)

My my, and I thought I knew how to English D:

Superflonic wrote:And since Tsukihime works fine, more updates aren't really needed, right?

As I said, NScripter is very widely used in the Japanese visual novel industry and community. There are countless games running on NS, and to translate them means to put them into ONS. Thus it is very much in our interest that development continues, see for example al|together.[/quote]
Well, yeah, I wanted to edit my post a bit, because I sounded really selfish there.
Of course there are other games that run on NS, and creating more features for ONS also means more features for future translated NS games :)

Melty Blood isn't a visual novel, and as such of course doesn't use a visual novel engine. It uses its own. Also I didn't say NS could be used for almost anything, I said krkr could be used for almost anything. And yes, I suppose it would be possible to create a fighting game in krkr, but it would probably require two Core8x64's running at 10GHz each. If you catch my drift.

Heh.
I guess I really should put more thought into my post. my apologies.
What I meant is that you indeed said krkr could be used for almost everything.
User avatar
Superflonic
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 468
Joined: December 23rd, 2007, 2:32 pm
Location: Netherlands, Nijmegen


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest