The verb suru.

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

The verb suru.

Unread postby Raven » December 30th, 2007, 1:05 am

Well, it's supposed to be "do", and my book uses it a lot for compound verb, like

shopping: kaimono shimasu
study: benkyoo shimasu

THe thing is none of the dictionaries I looked at (accounted to 4) has this verb, it's supposed to be pretty standard, suru-shimasu-shimashita ...etc...

So can anyone fill me on this, and does it have a Kanji?
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » December 30th, 2007, 1:29 am

You seem to have a good understanding of it, at least compared to my crappy understanding of it. It's means "to do" - a more literal translation of those verbs you mentioned are like "do shopping" or "do studying". Not sure why your dictionaries don't have it, I see it in mine, and mine's a piece of shit (relatively speaking). About the kanji, I think it has one, but it's never really used on it's own as a verb, most of the time it's just written in hiragana. Don't know what the kanji actually is though.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » December 30th, 2007, 5:26 am

From what I know, most print dictionaries suck ass.

Yes, it does have kanji. But it's rarely used. My guess is because it's so common and it's a bitch to write.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E7%82%BA%E3%82%8B
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi- ... A4%EB_vs-i

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html <---- This is the best online dictionary around.
Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raven » December 30th, 2007, 8:35 am

Beowulf Lee wrote:From what I know, most print dictionaries suck ass.

Well, when I said I didn't find it, I mean I can not even find the hiragana of it, at least, not something that means do and transforms into shimasu. The 4 dictionaries in question are 2 printed, one in the V80 WordTank (the suru in the v80 gives me a meaning of "disposal"), the last one is actually...

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html <---- This is the best online dictionary around.

That site, it's my main online dictionary. (I think someone, maybe you posted that link on here a long time ago and I have been since using it). Although I usually only use the text/word translation function. And try it, it also does not recognize suru, at least, not the suru in question. Guess I should have tried to look at the other function.

Well, thanks for the link. That one itch that is finally scratched. :)

As for the kanji ... well, that's certainly one of the more simple kanji comparing to the ones I'm running into (like benkyoo :x ). It's just that since my focus is writing and reading, I want to have as many kanji as possible. Techniquelly for any word that I leanrt, I want to know its kanji equivalent.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Blue Gunner » December 30th, 2007, 10:08 am

It's a general do/play verb. If you're ok with broken Japanese, then you can place it after a noun and you have a broken version of the verb form. It's a multi-purpose verb.
Improve your vocab and feed people in need: http://www.freerice.com
Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » December 30th, 2007, 7:49 pm

Raven, the only function I use is the "Search for Words in the Dictionary" one. When you're learning another language, it's always better to piece together the meanings rather than have some bootlegged computer translator to do it for you.

Also, are you speaking of 勉強? The strokes are cake compare to the weird humpback curve thingie in 為る.

On a side note, in Simplified Chinese, it's written as 为. Ah... much easier.
Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raven » December 31st, 2007, 3:04 am

Beowulf Lee wrote:Raven, the only function I use is the "Search for Words in the Dictionary" one. When you're learning another language, it's always better to piece together the meanings rather than have some bootlegged computer translator to do it for you.

Eh ... I never intended to use the text/word translation as a translator. I just think it's a rather convience function to use as quick dictionary as it breaks each single word down, good for someone with a low vocabulary pool like myself. Translator sucks, and I'm pretty much stay away from that purpose.

Also, are you speaking of 勉強? The strokes are cake compare to the weird humpback curve thingie in 為る.

Well, I'm a beginner so right now a complexity of a word to me means the number of stroke and how memorable they are, not the actual curve of the stroke. So virtually, 為る is more simplier to me than 勉強, or 試験. I guess it maybe different to someone who already have the kanji shape mostly memorized and only have to deal with doing the right stroke.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Return to General Chat