Final Fantasy XII and XIII Discussion/Criticism

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Final Fantasy XII and XIII Discussion/Criticism

Unread postby james-skarz » December 29th, 2007, 1:22 am

Ok...hissashiburi~..

Anyway..so i decided to pick up FFXII again while I'm waiting to buy my PS3 (Waiting to buy it with DMC4), and i reckon that game is as addictive as smoking.

I remember the first time I played it I was continually describing how bad it was yet still played - The characters annoyed me greatly, especially the effeminate Vaan and 'leading man' Balthier. Basch's whole soap opera story really gave me a kicker, that his evil twin brother ruined his life. As far as regular RPG's go, the gameplay was incredibly good (for an RPG) and while i wished i could perform more multi-hits it was enthralling. Yes i hated buying magic (seriously!) yes i hated the fact that I couldn't wield a weapon until I was licensed it but I appreciate that in an odd way.

Anyway, picking it up again I realised that it was a really good game. The graphics made it look almost next-gen, almost. The gameplay was interesting and the inclusion of Gambits meant that I could have lunch through a boss battle with one of those damn secret Espers, while the license system was an interesting expansion on FFX's sphere grid it sucked how you had to buy magic (spelt magick in the game) and techniques (spelt technicks).

Onto FFXIII. Holy sh**. Seriously. After READING about Versus XIII I had continuous dreams of how cool it'd be. After seeing the trailer, I knew. Basically, Versus XIII is the story of a (albeit young) king who has to defend his empire from the expansion of technology (or something like that) in the outside world, defending the old ways. From the trailer (while there's no gameplay) we get to see that this king (who looks similar to FFVII's Zach) wields thirteen swords, controlled with magic. Looks incredible.

Feel free to discuss or argue with me..it's in the topic subject :P
james-skarz
Addict

Re: Final Fantasy XII and XIII Discussion/Criticism

Unread postby Einherjar » December 29th, 2007, 1:47 am

Huh. I never liked FF games for some reason (I know they're good). I still liked FFVII though. And the movie too.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Raven » December 29th, 2007, 8:40 am

I haven play ... I think about 2/3 the tittles in the FF series. Didn't pick up 12 for some reason, and probably will never be seeing I already got the story spoiled long time ago.

But FFXIII and FF Versus, to put thing simply, I'm counting on them for my return of investment on the PS3 :wink:
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » December 29th, 2007, 9:55 pm

XII was a brilliant game but it was a dissapointment as an FF title. The focus was not on the story but on the gameplay. And the gameplay wasn't perfect either. But if it wasn't an FF title it would have a lot less critisicm.

I am totally pumped for XIII since its being made by the guys who worked on VII and made VIII and X and not by the overrated ivalice alliance. Also Versus XIII seems like it will be a really great game. The fact that you can teleport wherever u throw ur swords seems really cool. And the Prince looks more like Sasuke from Naruto than Zack.
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raven » December 30th, 2007, 1:03 am

I don't care who he looks like, I just hope he's not gonna be an emo.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » December 30th, 2007, 12:22 pm

haha yea lol lets hope hes not emo and also hes not yaoi bait like riku and sora :P
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Dtrini » January 1st, 2008, 1:34 pm

for some reason ff just lost its touch with me. i have played 7,8,9,10, 10 2, and i havent shown any interest in 12 or any other upcoming. did 10-2 kill it for me probably yes
Dtrini
Addict

Unread postby -[J1N]- » January 2nd, 2008, 2:31 am

For some reason FFXII never appealed to me. I started the game, got so-far and then just dropped it. I really have no idea why I didn't like it.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby iclim4 » January 2nd, 2008, 11:43 pm

-[J1N]- wrote:For some reason FFXII never appealed to me. I started the game, got so-far and then just dropped it. I really have no idea why I didn't like it.

i did the exact same thing, though i clocked in around 60hrs
to me the story just never took off, plus running around citys is too much of a hassle theyre way too large.
iclim4
Crack Addic!

Location: My Mommy told me not to give out personal information in the internet.

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » January 4th, 2008, 5:50 am

I still think the first FF is the best.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby pmc » February 8th, 2008, 12:24 am

Hehe... the first FF wasn't my first FF game so obviously it couldn't be more appealing to me than th later titles... I played all FFs except 11, 6, 4, and 3. I just thought X was the most enjoyable FF title, although not the best.

XII was fine up to a point. I got bored with the game quickly for some reason and never wanted to play any longer...

I can see XIII to be one of the greatest FF games, unless a last minute change (or something unrevealed yet) grows in the game. I'd be disappointed then...
pmc
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Serinah » March 9th, 2008, 12:09 am

To me the biggest flaw of FFXII was the combat system (and that the main character is an idiot).
Serinah
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Einherjar » March 9th, 2008, 3:12 pm

Serinah wrote:To me the biggest flaw of FFXII was the combat system (and that the main character is an idiot).

And the fact that the game have almost no plot at all.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Phoenician » June 1st, 2008, 3:20 am

Einherjar wrote:
Serinah wrote:To me the biggest flaw of FFXII was the combat system (and that the main character is an idiot).

And the fact that the game have almost no plot at all.

Who needs a plot when you have scantily-clad men who look like women, like Calintz from Tears of Blood or
like Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi
Phoenician
Addict

Return to General Chat