Fate/Stay Night Roleplay? [Spoilers]

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Mister Murder
Totally hardly posted

Fate/Stay Night Roleplay? [Spoilers]

Unread post by Mister Murder » September 25th, 2007, 6:40 am

Does anyone know of an active Fate/Stay Night or even Tsukihime text roleplay forum? It's strange that they're so rare, quite frankly. I searched google for a good 30minutes and came up with nada.

I was thinking that if there wasn't a good one around, that I might start my own. So I'd also like to see who's interested in helping.

demonblade
Addict

Unread post by demonblade » September 25th, 2007, 9:53 am

Role-play huh? I've seen a few here and there, but never got used to it as everybody wants to write their own story and be like the strongest or something.

What rules will it have? How does combat go?

Or is it that so long as they can dig out plot loopholes and devices thick enough, they can just kill off main characters like Arcueid in one blow?

Lol.

Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread post by Raitei » September 25th, 2007, 10:40 am

mmn, just like ninpocho chronicles for naruto huh?
maybe you should contact the admins, maybe they would help you?
but they still have lots work to be done, so I think it won't be possible in near future...
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence

flurk
Crack Addic!

Unread post by flurk » September 25th, 2007, 12:02 pm

i dunno. maybe u should start one of your own if u want?

lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread post by lolipedofin » September 25th, 2007, 4:56 pm

I don't know whether you can make in the fate/stay night section or not. well, if you're in doubt you could always make it in the general discussion.

You set up the rules and as long as people don't go throwing major spoilers all over the place, i think the mod will be happy to see more activity in the forum...

And just a suggestion IF you really are gonna make it... make a background story as how could the holy grail war could involve more than 7 master/servant pair (assuming plenty of people are gonna join in). And you better make it take place before the 5th holy grail war.
► Show Spoiler
Uchi kaeru....

demonblade
Addict

Unread post by demonblade » September 25th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Heh. Or you could just state that it's a complete AU.

All rules are automatically pwned, and you can make them yourself.

Something I learned from being in fanfiction for a long time.
Atheism:
The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically
exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically arranged
itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.
Makes perfect sense.

"I am a spider, webbing in darkness. Welcome to this beautiful killing field." - Nanaya Shiki

Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Raw » September 25th, 2007, 8:49 pm

There's no need to explain the 7 pairs of master/servants.
► Show Spoiler
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter

lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread post by lolipedofin » September 26th, 2007, 6:28 am

I dunno... i think it's gonna be quite more interisting if we pretend that this is an actual Holy Grail War.

@Raw: Well, then the war participants will consist mostly of renegade servants won't it?? don't you think that's it'll be kinda cheesy, not to mention that those who involved will have to create a background story on how they could be involved in the war as renegades...

Another suggestion: Make limitations on the servants, i don't want someone to create a servant with 10 EX-rank noble phantasm. And, just to make sure.. IF this is going to be made, the participants will be the master and they each have to create a fictional servant, right?
Uchi kaeru....

Raitei

Unread post by Raitei » September 26th, 2007, 11:05 am

agreed with nii-san, I think there should be some rules that limits the abilities or skills of the servants, otherwise, it would be unfair...

btw, about the setting, I think it would be better if we could expand the range of the fighting ground, for example, other cities than fuyuki...
although I think fuyuki's quite satisfying and large enough to hold the holy grail war...

7 classes of servant would be enough, I think...
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence

lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread post by lolipedofin » September 26th, 2007, 11:40 am

I'm not talking about class... I'm talking about participant....

of course, except if the creator wants to limit the participants to only 7 people, and the other just read the progress.

Although, i think the class of servants should be better off unlimited too.... You can create any class of servant that you like, of course make it sensible and meaningful... don't go making a "gigollo" class servant... not intending to offense anyone, it's just an example of ridiculous class servant, that probably should not be created..
Uchi kaeru....

flurk
Crack Addic!

Unread post by flurk » September 26th, 2007, 12:41 pm

then maybe as the game master, you can pre-determine the servant classes that are available.

i say stick to the seven. if more people are interested to join in, then just let someone take charge to start a different one.
also with less participants, it'll be easier to communicate between them and reach decisions, and you can have a little quality check before u officially start.

i don't think i'll want to join in tho.. just giving suggestions

-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread post by -[J1N]- » September 26th, 2007, 12:53 pm

This sounds pretty interesting. Just make sure that you post up the rules if you're planning on starting this, i'm sure there'll be someone that'll do something to ruin the fun. What's the mood going to be set like if you guys were to start it?
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18

lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread post by lolipedofin » September 26th, 2007, 4:20 pm

Haha.. i just noticed,, we already talk about rules, suggestion and everything, while the first person who came up with the idea, never posted anymore in the thread. Looks like he's a new guy, and he only posts 3 since he joined....

Hope he return to realize his ow idea... But if he's not, anyone like to volunteer?
Uchi kaeru....

demonblade
Addict

Unread post by demonblade » September 26th, 2007, 4:48 pm

Hmm. Well, if we can create our own classes, dibs on the Paladin class XD

Well, personally, I think we shouldn't limit the conflict to just the Holy Grail War.

After all, it's limited to the GM's imagination. If he's good enough, he can carry the story from one end to the other.

Also, if it's just PvP, we shall find it VERY troubling. After all, every player wants to win, and discussions on whose Servant is better will dominate the entire forum. Perhaps we can have something like all 7 Servants vs Warcueid and V.Akiha? Or Type-Mercury. Or someone impossibly powerful.

It'll be just a dungeon raid! XD

Man, this is going to be so fun. As an avid Fantasy/Fanfiction writer/reader, I am going to love the possible situations that can be brought out...I.E possible tag battles against both Archers, the Holy Grail becoming a target of Altrouge Brunestud herself, battling a supposed avatar of a god (like a summoned Krishna; do you know how many people worship that fellow? He's not a god actually so, it'll work.)...

The only problem would be combat, really. What if someone like, killed Arcueid in one hit? That's going to be troublesome.
Atheism:
The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically
exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically arranged
itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.
Makes perfect sense.

"I am a spider, webbing in darkness. Welcome to this beautiful killing field." - Nanaya Shiki

Naota
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Naota » September 26th, 2007, 7:48 pm

lolipedofin wrote:I'm not talking about class... I'm talking about participant....

of course, except if the creator wants to limit the participants to only 7 people, and the other just read the progress.

Although, i think the class of servants should be better off unlimited too.... You can create any class of servant that you like, of course make it sensible and meaningful... don't go making a "gigollo" class servant... not intending to offense anyone, it's just an example of ridiculous class servant, that probably should not be created..
Well, I'm all for this as well, being fiction writer and roleplayer myself even though I rarely, if ever, do anything based on existing material (fan fiction, so to speak). Although I'm fairly sure that this wouldn't affect anyone other crazy people like me, I think it's a bad idea to limit the number of participants to just the seven masters. For example; I would love playing a bystander in the war with no servant, or a servant itself. You can certainly impose a rule stating that there can only be seven master-servant pairs, since that's the way the Grail War works in F/SN, but there's nothing to be lost if you can also let people take up roles outside of the obvious ones.

As for servant classes themselves, I think the best formula for creating them statistically would be to alot a maximum number of "points" to each roleplayer either controlling, or directly roleplaying a new servant. A servant with the lowest level of all the statistics would have all of these points available, and each time a statistic was raised by an increment, it would cost a point and so on until none remain. Also, some of the minimum statistics of a servant would be raised as a result of their class. Since having every servant with the same number of points would be rather dull, it would also be interesting if a neutral party assigned a random range of points to each person.

As for abilities native to the hero being used as the basis for a servant, there would be something like two "free" choices of basic skills based on what we've seen in Fate, and any others would cost the same points as the statistics - more for the powerful ones, less for the less powerful. This cost would be decided by the same person who is charged with assigning random points. Also, you may notice that each servant class in Fate is given a number of abilities regardless of which hero they are, these are predefined based one what's given by the game, and are awarded free to whichever servant is made to fit that class (eg. Saber gets "A" Magic Resistance regardless of which hero Saber is, unless this is changed by a skill possessed by the original hero. If I was a hero who had legendarily been killed by some spell or whatever, I might have +3 Luck, -2 Magical Resistance, making my total Magic Resistance "B" (A - 2 levels.)).

For example:
->I would enter the roleplay as a servant (Caster). From there, the one in charge of the roleplay would use a simple random algorithm to give me somewhere between 15 and 22 (just as an example) points. I'm given 18 points.

->Being a Caster, I start with two extra points to "Magical Energy" and one to "Luck". This takes my Magical Energy from being a minimum of "E", to a minimum of "D", and my Luck from "E" to "E+".

->The Caster Class also gets the abilities "Tool Creation A" and "Territory Creation A" no matter who I am. These can be increases in skills, decreases in the skills of the enemies I'm fighting, or entirely unique abilities. However, the roleplay has no choice over them since they're already defined by F/SN.

->I use 14 of the 18 points stepping up the various servant statistics. Each point increases the level of a statistic. In the case of a statistic without any boosts from class, ability, or skill, the progression per point would look like this: (E)>(E+)>(D)>(D+)>(C)>(C+)>(B)>(B+)>(A)>(A+). Going from the minimum level (E) to the maximum (A+) would take 9 points.

->I use the remaining 4 to choose a relatively powerful skill for this servant. Skills can do anything from giving something like flight or vampirism, to boosting statistics under certain conditions.

->I choose or invent two more basic skills of my character for free.

->The GM looks over my skills and decides that they're all acceptably powerful for how many points they're worth. Since this has been decided for me, the skill is "officially" priced the same for all players.

->My Noble Phantasm is gauged in power by the level of the corresponding statistic, and the GM deems my description of it in order with the level of the "Noble Phantasm" stat that my character has.

->My character is ready to roll as a servant, and I can roleplay him/her as soon as the roleplay starts.

List of Class Abilities by Class (As given by Fate)
Saber: Magic Resistance A (I would say... 5 free points to Magic Resistance), Riding B (Works just as described in Fate.)
Lancer: Magic Resistance C (3 free points to Magic Resistance)
Archer: Magic Resistance D (2 free points to Magic Resistance), Independant Action B (2 days without a mana supply)
Rider: Magic Resistance B (4 free points to Magic Resistance), Riding A+ (Can ride everything except dragons... I'm not going to make any dirty comments, I swear.)
Caster: Territory Creation A (Allows the servant to create a "Temple". I'd assume that while inside this area, the servant gains certain stat boosts, and their enemy suffers penalties. Also, there could be certain skills only possible inside a Temple.), Tool Creation A (Allows the servant to create magical objects)
Assassin: Presence Concealment D (Hides the presence of the servant from others. Since there's a A-E rating for this like a statistic, I think it's safe to assume that certain skills would add to this ability, making the servant harder to detect even when spotted.)
Berserker: Madness B (The servant loses its sanity, but all the statistics are increased by 3. This does not necessarily have to happen at the time of summoning, meaning the servant can go berserk whenever it chooses, or is made to by its master. Obviously, the process can't easily be reversed.)
"They marched onwards, fire against earth, bodies piling ever higher for the whims of rival demons, content in their game. The masses never questioned their intent nor knew their masters, serving Hell more than Heaven in their madness. For madness went unchallenged here, and the great machine of many faces, skins, and thoughts continued to turn in silence."

lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread post by lolipedofin » September 27th, 2007, 3:09 am

Hmm... that sounds more complex than what i imagine :? ... worth to try though.

I have something in mind about your idea of noble phantasm... So you mean the strength of the NP will be judged and determined by the attribute of the servants and correlating skill right?? Wasn't noble phantasm suppose to be a legendary ability/skill that exist through the hero epic saga and can be as strong or as weak as it is. I mean NP and the hero sometimes can be described as 2 different thing in a sense. simply said, a hero can be weak but maybe blessed with a formidable noble phantasm.
► Show Spoiler
And a servant may have a weak NP or even none, but has the skill, ability and strength to make up for it.
► Show Spoiler
About the idea for the roleplayer to be a servant as well (which means we need at least 14 people) sounds kinda cool.... A servant could even rebel to their servant (of course there's always reiju). How about making it even more interesting, the identity of the servant is hidden to all other participants as well (including the master) make it like Shirou&Saber. Of course they would still have to post all the ability, but without information about real id and Np. sounds good??
Uchi kaeru....

demonblade
Addict

Unread post by demonblade » September 27th, 2007, 6:28 am

Sounds pretty good. Noble Phantasms are indeed an anomaly.

We still need a Game Master though; someone who's not going to play, and possesses all the information of everything.

Basically, the closest thing to God in this RPG lol. He's going to be the one bringing us through all the scenarios, etc etc.

I think, if we have issues with how powerful a Noble Phantasm should be, the presence of a Game Master can help.

We just need to present our case and convince the Game Master of it's credibility and feasibility(in case it's overpowered...*cough Death Note cough*), and problem should be solved.
Atheism:
Makes perfect sense.

Raitei

Unread post by Raitei » September 27th, 2007, 8:56 am

well, that's the role of moderators, y'know;
► Show Spoiler
and about the scenario, I think it depends on the players themselves...who's the victor, or the loser...
the moderators are just watching over them, and making sure that nobody's cheating or breaking the rules...
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence

Unread post by Message » September 27th, 2007, 9:01 am

Spoiler tag added to the entire thread.

Naota
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Naota » September 27th, 2007, 2:22 pm

The system of points I was talking about basically makes it really easy for people to balance out their servants in a way that they think is suitable to the character they're after. Like you described, a servant could have an incredibly strong Noble Phantasm, but low statistics, or a weak one and stronger statistics to compensate. By having the Noble Phantasm use the system I proposed, a servant would have to use 9 "points" to make their NP as powerful as possible, leaving only about 7-14 points to use on the rest of their statistics. This means that a servant with a powerful Noble Phantasm would have very low attributes in comparison, just like the way it works in Fate :P. Also, keep in mind that it would be entirely possible to come up with a 2 point skill for your character that did something like increase their Noble Phantasm rating by 4 points (Up from B to A+ for example) under certain conditions (like at night, or when fighting surrounded by water... Anything you can think of that's not too common).

Basically, this would be an easy way to keep characters in line with oneanother, while still holding on to the differences in power that make Fate so unpredictable, and also allowing the roleplayers the power to fully customize their servant however they like without unfairly creating Gilgamesh-like behemoths. This way everyone's on a level playing field, but not so level that it becomes a stalemate.

As for the need for a GM, I would personally love to take part in the roleplay as a servant myself, and I believe that I can be trusted not to pick favourites or throw the competition. Of course, that means nothing at all if nobody else trusts me to do the job while still participating, so I leave the proposal up to you guys to reject or accept :P. A GM like this is only really neccessary at the beginning of the roleplay, to oversee character creation and enforce a system like my improvised one. After that point, they would only be required to watch over battles between characters in case some "god modding" happened (A character becoming seemingly invulnerable to damage simply because the writer/roleplayer doesn't want them hurt.). Also, if you would rather, I could also take a back seat in the Grail War while simultaneously serving the function of GM by roleplaying a bystander like Kotomine.
► Show Spoiler
"They marched onwards, fire against earth, bodies piling ever higher for the whims of rival demons, content in their game. The masses never questioned their intent nor knew their masters, serving Hell more than Heaven in their madness. For madness went unchallenged here, and the great machine of many faces, skins, and thoughts continued to turn in silence."