UBW Translation

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread post by -[J1N]- » December 11th, 2007, 7:53 am

hoon wrote:
-[J1N]- wrote:An alternative way to get people to stop complaining would be to just make up a random number and post it up. Withdraw it later and go 'oops, missed a part'. Just as good as a '?' i think =P.
First post just to say that that is a really horrible idea.
First reply to say its a joke
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18

hoon
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by hoon » December 11th, 2007, 8:05 am

-[J1N]- wrote:
hoon wrote:
-[J1N]- wrote:An alternative way to get people to stop complaining would be to just make up a random number and post it up. Withdraw it later and go 'oops, missed a part'. Just as good as a '?' i think =P.
First post just to say that that is a really horrible idea.
First reply to say its a joke
Yes because it's very easy to tell whether you're being serious or not over the interwebs.

-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread post by -[J1N]- » December 11th, 2007, 8:19 am

Listen, I'm not much for replying to something more than twice, so I'll try to clear it here.

Firstly, I hope "=P" does not give you the image that I could be serious. In case you can't see it, it's a face with a tongue sticking out (see it?)

Secondly, What I was getting across was that inserting random numbers is an alternative to a '?', which is being used for another translation. Since everyone thinks the project is stalled, etc. it would be better not to post a number at all, so that people will not be as disappointed, and not ask as much (at least I think they won't).

I'm not much for numbers either so I'll just end it short there *face with tongue sticking out*. If you're still dissatisfied, I'll gladly answer anything else via a PM.

EDIT: Not everyone thinks it's stalled, only some people. Sorry about that
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18

HolyZen
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by HolyZen » December 11th, 2007, 8:23 am

Well, my only question is, what's the deal on Heaven's Feel so far? I would hope that everyone isn't just standing still waiting for the new installer. The translator should translate, the editors should be editing, and programmers should be programming. Maybe then things will go even faster despite the ridiculous amount of time the installer is taking.

Unread post by Message » December 11th, 2007, 8:29 am

Save the memes for 4chan, people. They make my brain hurt. >__>
Raven wrote:Now that mumbo jumbo is over with, why don't go out and get yourself a beer. Hey message I don't know where you live, but if you can get your hand on some German beer, they're good stuff :wink:
Thanks, but I don't drink beer. Maybe a nice cup of gluehwein? You can buy me some baumkuchen while you're at it. :-)
Ciel wrote:This is all I wanted to know when I asked about the new installer, but I guess I'm not worthy enough to have this simple question answered and can only find out about it by accident when someone else mentions it. :( :P :P
I could've answered your question, but the way you posed it was another drop in a big can of unappreciation I've been experiencing over the past few weeks. Nothing anyone specific did, just a combination of a lot of factors. I'm only human, you know. You suggested the fateroute installer was fine, but did not stop to realize that, since I'm making a new one, we apparently didn't agree.
Also I don't believe in telling the fans about every little thing we do. We say we're building an installer? Then that's what we're doing, and apparently we don't feel like going into detail. Everyone's free to ask, but don't expect a detailed reply telling you everything you want to know. Sometimes the information you have is all the information you're gonna get. Not to mention that I can't help I'm the only staffmember who reads everything on the forums...

But since I'm in a good mood today:
someguy42 wrote:what is required in the installer script for it to be vista compatable?
Too much to detail here. Fortunately there's the UAC plugin, that saved me piles and piles of work.

Also, yes, we're hoping to make this thing work on 98SE. We are having some very interesting (in fact, quite astounding) problems with it, but we'll do our best.

Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Ciel » December 11th, 2007, 9:50 am

If it sounded like i don't appreciate your work, i apologise, I probably worded it wrong. I do appreciate it, after all thanks to it i was able to experience those great games.

I was just curious. Being ignored is not something anyone would like, and I experienced it here quite a few times.

HolyZen
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by HolyZen » December 11th, 2007, 10:17 am

Ciel wrote:If it sounded like i don't appreciate your work, i apologise, I probably worded it wrong. I do appreciate it, after all thanks to it i was able to experience those great games.

I was just curious. Being ignored is not something anyone would like, and I experienced it here quite a few times.
I'm going to ignore that.

Caineth
Addict

Unread post by Caineth » December 11th, 2007, 3:03 pm

I always figured time they spent replying to our posts was less time they had to work on Fate/Stay Night. Therefore I limit my posting as much as possible =-D.

Any ways, as some one who started their college carrier in Computer Science, I understand how much a pita scripting can be. (One advanced logic class, and I decided genetic research would be much easier which is my current major) So keep up the good work, there are alot of us quiet types rooting you guys on.

Link_74
Might just like this board

Unread post by Link_74 » December 12th, 2007, 1:25 am

Message wrote:Also, yes, we're hoping to make this thing work on 98SE. We are having some very interesting (in fact, quite astounding) problems with it, but we'll do our best.
Cool, I hope it works. Will this patch include the first in it?

roddy
Totally hardly posted

Dealing with unreasonable complaints

Unread post by roddy » December 12th, 2007, 5:53 am

I realize this may be a little off-topic, please feel free to move it to wherever.

This message is targeted mainly at the staff of MM and Revolve, but it may also benefit other people who are engaged in similar work (voluntary and free). As someone who has benefited from your work, and in search of ways to show appreciation, this is the one thing I can offer which I think may actually help you.

First off, I have done my share of stints as well, running free services like MUD, virtual hosts, DNS, etc. One of the first things I learned was that people will complain if they do not get what they want, and there's no way to stop that, regardless of how good your service is, or how generous you are, or how much effort you put in, and no matter that the service is free. I lost a lot of colleagues who became demotivated because they could not deal with the constant criticism. I feel it's a great shame to lose generous, talented people for such a ridiculous reason, which can be managed with a little effort.

Therefore, I present a little advice on this issue, which I noticed is particularly relevant at the moment. :(

1. Do not read channels/boards/forums when in a negative mood. Go hammer some baddies, or watch TV, or listen to music to destress for half an hour and put your mind in order before entering the minefields of the forums. You never know when someone is going to be a pest, and you don't want to start the encounter already PO'd.

2. Try to avoid being swept away by a rant. If you feel yourself getting irritated, stop reading for a moment and regain control. If it becomes too oppressive, just skip it. By that time you already know there's nothing worth reading anyway.

3. Above all, do not waste time and work yourself up by responding to a rant unless it is absolutely necessary to prevent enemy propaganda or answer important questions. Judgment must be made by you with regard to your project objectives.

4. If you do respond to a rant, limit it to one per day. Let your colleagues deal with the rest.

That's the important bits. It's all anger management stuff, but in my experience, they help quite a bit to limit buildup of negative emotion which can lead to burnout and turnover. The usual disclaimer applies: this works for me, but your mileage may vary. :wink:

Unread post by Message » December 12th, 2007, 11:27 am

Link_74 wrote:Cool, I hope it works. Will this patch include the first in it?
But of course, I'm not going to make it any more complicated than it already is. :D Today and tomorrow: day 16 proofchecking! Joy. T__T

A.R.C.C.
Addict

Unread post by A.R.C.C. » December 12th, 2007, 11:58 am

Huh. Seriously folks. Were you actually expecting a release immediately after the proofing? I'm not really too knowledgeable about the process so don't quote me on my understanding, but it seems to me just from simple logic that even if they were recycling one of their old models, the installer is one of the parts that is going to be a pain to test, and that it's going to be extremely important to test it under various configurations and stresses to make sure it holds up. Since it's an original piece of coding, it needs to go through an entire stage of bugfixing in its own right. If they distributed an unpolished install program with a perfect game translation, things are likely to fall apart right at the beginning, and then people would come here and yell at the staff for not doing their job. Get a grip. It's NOT their job. It's their charity. Virtue isn't much of it's own reward when it's spit back in your face. Basically, that's like a beggar chasing down and beating up an exhausted businessman because he dropped a ten-dollar bill in their cup instead of a Franklin. If that seems reasonable to you, then there's nothing more I can say.

EDIT: This is mainly in response to people like "Fuckthisshit," who decided to register just to put up a single post that was extremely abrasive and contributed nothing. Goddamn trolls.
Wai for Kawasumi Mai!

DrmChsr0

Unread post by DrmChsr0 » December 12th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Or better yet, Release it without testing the installer and finishing the profing and then take up to a month to fix those in incremental patches!

(Yes this is a bad idea, I know. It's meant as a sarcastic joke.)
That note.

That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note.

Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread post by Einherjar » December 12th, 2007, 2:08 pm

So it's probably going to be done in January or February? Okay, that's no problem...
ZZZzzz...

Gram49
Addict

Unread post by Gram49 » December 12th, 2007, 2:41 pm

day 16 proofchecking :D yay, it's good to hear progress.

rastilin

Unread post by rastilin » December 12th, 2007, 6:59 pm

I loved your work on the Fate path translation and eagerly await UBW. Also wanted to mention that your team seems remarkably dedicated to creating working software, after seeing the compiz extension corrupt my X server for what seems the millionth time, I respect that very much.

Rynax
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Rynax » December 12th, 2007, 7:55 pm

Yes, keep up the good work. If someone is complaining about your methods tell them, A genius cannot understand the agony of an ordinary person. Therefore, I don't know why you're complaining.

Kazeryu
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by Kazeryu » December 13th, 2007, 1:26 am

I just wanted to say that I support you 100% on the 'it will be released when we are ready, and not before' stance. At the same time, I can't deny that I'm disappointed and frustrated by what I've read about the ongoing installer development(98SE support lol wut) and the forecast of 'another month or two'.

I worked as a manga editor for a minor scanlation group a few years back and I can understand where you're coming from. It's your work and YOU are the ones in control of it. Thanks for doing this.

Nestor
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by Nestor » December 13th, 2007, 4:43 am

I happen to be a very patient man when it comes to these games, and I lurk here *somewhat* regularly- I just don't post. I don't have a problem waiting for the translation, either. When MM / Revolve started posting the progress indicators, I admit, I was pretty excited. I knew there was going to be a shitstorm of drama too, so everyone running around jockeying in their shorts or yelling at MM/ Revolve has been nothing but a titanic lulzfest for me.

I appreciate what you guys do, I respect you for the reasons you do it, and i look forward to the releases as calmly as one could expect.
First of all, unlike some other T-M games, the most widely available torrent is a CD image.
To be perfectly honest, I don't see why people are so shy about buying the game. It's a great game, comes in nifty packaging (covered in moon roons and art) and usually only runs about $80 or so, including shipping. I know, I bought myself and two friends of mine copies of the game. Sure it takes longer for it to arrive than it does to download a cracked copy online, but after having lost a terabyte of data to a horrible datacrash, a good CD backup is something I can appreciate even more. Of course, I also use the argument that you can read a book online, or you can hold the book in your hands, OTOH the kind of people that cause shitstorms with "lol ur 2 slo" probably don't understand the subtle value of a book in your hands anyway. ;)

In response to the drama-mongers: Needs more cowbell.
To the staff: Take care of business and I'll see ya when the release is deployed.
To the entirely too excitable fans (including myself, I'll admit, I'm eager to go through the UBW path just as much as the next guy) : Relax. Listen to some tunes. I recommend World's End Girlfriend, myself. It'll happen.

AnonymousV2
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by AnonymousV2 » December 14th, 2007, 3:11 am

I just want to personally thank the staff behind this, I feel that this game is a great work of art, and that you guys are wonderful taking on a project like this, I must imagine how much work it is to translate an entire novel but this is a novel and lots of other work (programming, editing, proofing, testing). Again I thank you for sticking with the project and am waiting anxiously for the release of UBW and the arc after that if you choose to continue translation.

I would also like to say that I want to help you in any way I possibly can, I don't like to sit back when I could be taking some load off the staff and helping speed up the process, I would love to help translate or anything at all relating to this project. I don't know Japanese, however I have good English skills and am willing to dedicate my time to the project...

And well if you're simply not looking for any more staff then I would like to at least donate some money or maybe some webhosting

Basically what I'm saying is, if you need any odd jobs or money please don't hesitate to contact me, though I'm not exactly sure if any staff read the forums

AIM: shadowedlight2